Updated text editor (Read 203 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

I have updated the text editor to the latest version.  It should work better with mobile devices.  The obvious change is the new skin.  This is the only one available so we're stuck with it until new ones become available.  This new version consolidated some of the buttons so the toolbar is simpler, but it should have the same functionality as the previous one.

The new editor should be able to convert urls automatically into hyperlinks.  This feature has some known bugs but I don't know when they'll be fixed.  At worst, you'll have to use the link dialog to convert the urls into the links as you did before.

There is also a bug with Safari where you would lose text formatting if you paste via Edit Menu -> Paste.  The problem doesn't exist if you use Cmd-V to paste.  Hopefully this problem will be fixed soon.

Please let me know if something is not working.  Thanks!

eric Smile

Runner100

Awesome! Me and my iPad thank you for this update!

Http://www.runningahead.com

Runner100

Runner100

URL test didn't convert to link when I tested it, but likely user error  Smile

using chrome on an ipad

It's probably a bug.  Try just typing www.runningahead.com, it should convert automatically.  Sadly, pasting the url might not work.  I might have look into fixing the problem myself if they don't fix it soon.

Runner100

www.runningahead.com

yup worked. Thanks, will make adding links faster and easier.

Nice! Some people never figured out how to use the link tool.  I see a few new emoticons as well, one of which I just took advantage of.

It's probably a bug.  Try just typing www.runningahead.com, it should convert automatically.  Sadly, pasting the url might not work.  I might have look into fixing the problem myself if they don't fix it soon.

Pasting the url worked for me (copied from the browser window), I just did it in a other thread (linking back to this one), and worked like a charm.

Is this expected to fix some of the issues people have on this site with iPhone/iPad autocorrect?

Dave

Julia1971

I know you're always interested in the BlackBerry experience so I thought I'd report in. Smile. FWIW, I only get the bold, italics, underline, strike through, and super text buttons on my Z10.  They don't seem to work, though. No biggie. I not a big text emphasizer. I'm more of an emoticoner. Wink. Just letting you know.

xhristopher

Thanks for working to make basic text editing features available to more users.

I only get the bold, italics, underline, strike through, and super text buttons 

This is all I got on my iPhone running ios7. In landscape mode I had been used to the full palette. I edited tables, inserted images, and had access to html. Now I only have the basics.

Based on my use of the website on my phone I've lost some functionality.

This is all I got on my iPhone running ios7. In landscape mode I had been used to the full palette. I edited tables, inserted images, and had access to html. Now I only have the basics.

Based on my use of the website on my phone I've lost some functionality.

Same here. Although all of it is available on iPad.

Dave

I know you're always interested in the BlackBerry experience so I thought I'd report in. Smile. FWIW, I only get the bold, italics, underline, strike through, and super text buttons on my Z10.  They don't seem to work, though. No biggie. I not a big text emphasizer. I'm more of an emoticoner. Wink. Just letting you know.

I should have asked you to beta test this because I don't have a Z10 for testing.  I did think of asking you to test but then forgot.  The text formatting works on my Android phone.

The toolbar is width sensitive.  If you load the page with the phone in landscape mode, then you'll get the full toolbar.  If it's in portrait mode, then you'll get fewer buttons.  I'll add emoticon and other basic buttons to portrait in the next update.  There is no guarantee that the emoticons will work on the Z10 though because it sounds like its JavaScript engine is not fully implemented.

Nice! Some people never figured out how to use the link tool.  I see a few new emoticons as well, one of which I just took advantage of.

Pasting the url worked for me (copied from the browser window), I just did it in a other thread (linking back to this one), and worked like a charm.

Is this expected to fix some of the issues people have on this site with iPhone/iPad autocorrect?

I'm not sure why auto correct is causing problems.  I have an old iPad that I can test with.  Do you know how to reproduce it?

The toolbar is width sensitive.  If you load the page with the phone in landscape mode, then you'll get the full toolbar.  If it's in portrait mode, then you'll get fewer buttons.  I'll add emoticon and other basic buttons to portrait in the next update.  There is no guarantee that the emoticons will work on the Z10 though because it sounds like its JavaScript engine is not fully implemented.

On my iPhone (it is a 4s, but has the latest OS), I get only the 5 buttons whether in portrait or landscape mode.

I get all of the buttons on iPad.

Dave

I'm not sure why auto correct is causing problems.  I have an old iPad that I can test with.  Do you know how to reproduce it?

This post from another thread probably describes it best.

Yes. This is very bizarre. Something about the site doesn't play well with iPhones. Basically, when you back up and start typing again, in the middle of a word, spell check thinks you are starting a new work. And the results are, yes, crazy ass non-words. Related, probably, is that when you hold down delete, at some point you should start deleting words (slower), but instead you just delete characters slower.

Dave

xhristopher

I got it to work on my iPhone 5. The difference is that you must already be in landscape mode before hitting modify or reply. Formerly it would adjust automatically after rotating.