Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

John- I can appreciate the scenic runs you're talking about. I just vacationed in Lake Placid for a week and couldn't stop running/cycling/hiking. The views were great. I had to force myself to not overdo it. There's a half marathon in Geneseo first weekend in Sept that I'll be doing (40% on dirt roads). I've heard it's hilly, but fun. I think it's called the Oak Tree Half Marathon if you're interested.
      In Geneseo!!!? Interesting. I work only 4 mles from Geneseo and haven't even heard of this race. There is usually a 5K there early in October but I haven't heard of the half marathon. I'll have to check it out although October would be better for my training. (I could always just do it slow and easy.) If you know of a web site with info, pass it along. If not, I will be in Geneseo tomorrow and I'm sure I can find info. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

In Geneseo!!!? Interesting. I work only 4 mles from Geneseo and haven't even heard of this race. There is usually a 5K there early in October but I haven't heard of the half marathon. I'll have to check it out although October would be better for my training. (I could always just do it slow and easy.) If you know of a web site with info, pass it along. If not, I will be in Geneseo tomorrow and I'm sure I can find info. John
        http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/Oak%20Tree%20Half%20and%205K.htm
          My name is Kim and I'm 32, living in Natick, MA. I -just- started running 2 weeks ago on a beginner program. Trying to reach 5K in 3 months...and then onward from there. A friend at work finally convinced me to give it a go, even though I've hated running my entire life, but been very active. I have to say that I'm starting to really enjoy it. But then again, I'm only doing about 2 miles, half walk/running so far Smile Anyway, I was wondering to myself why I started running. I can't really come up with a reason other than the fact that I LOVE to eat... If I didn't do some form of excercise, I'd be really large... I guess I want to eat more, so I needed a better workout Smile Running sounded good. What a silly reason, eh? Kimmer
          My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me

You'll ruin your knees!

"I'm only doing about 2 miles, half walk/running so far" - no need to use words like "just" and "only" when stating your distances...you're off the couch and on the road/trail...and that makes all the difference...puts you into a very elite category (in my book, anyway). Glad your here, Kimmer! And your reason for running looks plenty good to me! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hi Kim, Looking at your log, you're doing great! Just be careful that you don't overdo it in these early stages. Sometimes our enthusiasm will drive us to injury, especially when you are asking your body to do something it has not done for quite a while; i.e. run like we did when we were children. Be sure to build in a rest day of very easy jogging or even a day off every week to 10 days to allow the tendons and muscles to recover. Only increase your mileage or time on your feet each week by 10%. Back in my early days, I think it was my first season of running, I really did a number on both arches so that the pain was so great I had to stop completely for several weeks. So just be careful as you increase your time on your feet. Here is a trainer who knows his stuff---http://www.halhigdon.com/ John

Thanks for the support folks! And John, I definitely know what you mean about over-doing it. I think that's why I've always avoided running to this point. I just tried to go too fast too soon. But with the Couch to 5K program that I'm doing, I'm really loving it! Kim
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyway, I was wondering to myself why I started running. I can't really come up with a reason other than the fact that I LOVE to eat... If I didn't do some form of excercise, I'd be really large... I guess I want to eat more, so I needed a better workout Smile Running sounded good. What a silly reason, eh?
                  Not silly in the least. I started the Couch-to-5k program this past Spring because nothing else would make my last 10-15#s take a hike. I'm still fighting them, but my body seems to be firmer and my clothes are a teensy bit looser. Plus I can eat more without gaining, so that is definitely worth the effort. I have been plagued with a really awful metabolism. Most of the women on my dad's side of the family are very short and as wide as they are tall...quite a few type II diabetics, too. 3 years ago I started watching my carbs and calories and the weight came off fairly easily (not super fast, but slow...the kind of weight loss that is more likely to stick long-term). But eventually I got to the point where diet, alone, wasn't doing the trick. I have heard that once a person gets to the 20-25 miles/week range that weight loss seems to kick-in...I'm just about there! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi all I am Thomas. I am a 33 year old Danish guy. I live in Doha, Qatar and work as a freelance IT Security Consultant, that is why I live in Doha, the client is here. I started running in April 2004 with a friend in order to lose a few kilos and be less flabby. After 6 weeks of running I then got the idea that we should run a marathon, he was game, and we did our marathon in October 2004. I wanted more marathons but my friend was happy with more recreational running so we stopped training together. I did my second marathon on 31-12-2004 in the morning in order to deserve the good New Years dinner. My 3rd marathon was in May 2005 and I bonked completely and finished in 3:43:50 so I have a great desire to prove to the world that I can run a faster marathon. I am inspired by Arthur Lydiards training methods and I hope to be able to fit in some proper cycles of his training methods, but life is so busy. I am in a build up phase as I did not train properly from November to Feb and in February I quit my job to pursue life as a freelance consultant and it brought me to Qatar. And the weathere here is not very conductive to running 50C degrees during the day and min. 30C at night and high humidity is my weather for the moment. I have started a running craze in my compound and now several neighbours and my wife has taken up running. I seem to make start up schedules for everyone :-) But this means that I do many of my runs with people just starting to run so it holds me back a bit, but I really enjoy it and I guess I avoid overuse injuries that way. I am also a geek, so when I saw this site I was very impressed with its sleekness and I cannot run without my Garmin :-) TO Eric: Can we import Garmin Training files as routes and workouts - that would be very cool. I will always be a student of runinng, reading about it everywhere I find good info. See you out there...
                    Run more.
                      Poose, Are you definitely running the Geneseo half marathon? At this point I am seriously considering it. My two sons may run the 5K so it looks like it might become a family affair except for my wife, unless she can find someone to walk with. Pretty definite at this point! John

Smell the glove

hey folks, my name is matt and i'm 30 years old living in the foothills of north carolina. i started running about 5 years ago when i decided to quit smoking. i started jogging at a local park and not doing any log distances. during the last couple of years i've started doing longer distances and really getting serious about running. i did my first 5k this past spring in charlotte with my brother and did a lot better than i expected. now i'm training to do more races this fall when it gets cooler. i've conditioned myself to run in the hot and humid afternoons we've been having the last several weeks but man, i can't wait for cooler weather! i've only recently started really keeping up with my stats so when i found this site i thought i'd give it a try.
                          Not silly in the least. I started the Couch-to-5k program this past Spring because nothing else would make my last 10-15#s take a hike. k
                          Hey, It's funny you mention your program, because I'm doing the Couch to 5K program now too! (I also have the same 10 lbs that I could lose that won't go away). I really love it so far. I can't wait until I'm up to 20 miles a week. But for now, I'm really pleased with 10-12... Next week is week 4 for me! Smile Just bought my first pair of running shoes too. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6's....they're really awesome. I highly recommend them. I used to have slight discomfort in my inner-knee area, but they took care of that right away. Kim
                            Poose, Are you definitely running the Geneseo half marathon? At this point I am seriously considering it. My two sons may run the 5K so it looks like it might become a family affair except for my wife, unless she can find someone to walk with. Pretty definite at this point! John
                            Yes, I'm definately doing it. It's a family affair for me too: my wife is probably running the 5K, mom and dad are volunteering at an aid station. I'm looking forward to it. I had a great 14 miler 1.5 weeks ago, but didn't do a longer run last weekend. But, I think I'll be fine as long as I do another long run this coming weekend.
                              I am inspired by Arthur Lydiards training methods and I hope to be able to fit in some proper cycles of his training methods, but life is so busy.
                              Welcome Thomas. I had never heard of Arthur Lydiard before, but was curious and googled him. It's neat to hear about a running coach who figured out distance training methods in a time that milers got all the glory. Viren's Munich 1972 10K run is certainly one of the best runs ever and it's cool to hear about the coaching behind it. For anyone interested, here's a brief bio on Lydiard: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur_Lydiard.htm
                                Welcome Thomas. I had never heard of Arthur Lydiard before, but was curious and googled him. It's neat to hear about a running coach who figured out distance training methods in a time that milers got all the glory. Viren's Munich 1972 10K run is certainly one of the best runs ever and it's cool to hear about the coaching behind it. For anyone interested, here's a brief bio on Lydiard: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur_Lydiard.htm
                                I truly believe that his method is the one to follow if you want to see what your poential is. But it requires long term (3-7 years) commitment and it is not easy. Mike Salkowski is practising the word and writing about it here http://championseverywhere.blogspot.com I have attempted to train "The Lydiard Way" but I have never had the time to do it full scale. But my training plans always aim towards the Lydiard way. And I have not been injured so I believe in the system.
                                Run more.