Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Hi, this thread is for runners whose goal is to run sub 2:00 for a half marathon. You will also find posters here who have achieved this goal but still like to come here because they feel at home, and who would like to share their experience and encourage others.  

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Better I Leave

Count me in. My next half is next Saturday. If all goes well, I'm shooting to hit that mark. **crosses fingers and prays really hard** Big grin

Jan26.2

Hi. Like 2foot I'm migrating over from the RW forum. I love half marathons, and have run sub 2 several times. My PR is currently 1:53:26, which was set at the end of marathon training this fall. I'm doing the Phoenix R&R half in January, and while I don't know that I'll PR, I definitely hope to go under 2 hours.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

hog4life

My first HM was 2:08:30, second was 2:01:27. I have my next one on February 17th and hope to go sub 2. I think if I have a good training cycle with no hiccups, I can make it.

Jan26.2

Just curious - what training plans have you all had success with? I've tried many, and usually end up doing my own thing.

meaghansketch

Jan26.2- Hope you don't mind if I jump in; I was on this thread for a while in April/May on RWOL but it had fallen off my radar.  

The biggest successes I've had with training plans have been with Hudson's Level 2 HM plan from his book "Run Faster" (went from a 2:15 to a 2:02 a year later)  and with a plan I kind of put together myself which was pretty much Lydiard-style base training (though not super high mileage) for the first 12 weeks, merging into the level 2 marathon plan from Fitzgerald's book "Brain Training For Runners" (my goal race this year was a marathon).  After a couple failed attempts at going sub-2 in March and May that I pretty much put down to weather, terrain, and a lack of mental toughness, I started the base training in June and merged into the Fitzgerald plan in August/September.  In October, I ran a 1:53:54.  

I do think every person has to find out what works for them-- some people can run sub-2 on 25 miles or fewer a week, some need much higher mileage.  Some people get very good results out of the Higdon plans, I just find that I do better on longer midweek runs.  Some do better on a Pfitzinger-style 'endurance then speed' approach, but when I tried that, I felt that it left me feeling ready to run a good 5K, not a half marathon or marathon.  The 'speed then endurance' approach, where you do shorter, faster speedwork at the beginning of training and gradually build that to longer tempos or steady state runs, ended up working much better for me.  

I think even if you build your own plan, it has to be with purpose-- not saying you're not doing that, but 'doing your own thing' can mean many different things.  Look back on what you did in the past, what worked for you, what didn't work for you, and make adjustments from there.  I recommend Hudson's "Run Faster" which I mentioned above for this; there is a lot of good advice in there about figuring out your strengths and weaknesses so you can address them better during the training cycle.  

doctorjen

Hey sub-2 friends, old and new!  I've migrated from RWOL also, although I still check in there.  I've run sub-2 a couple times now and my current PR is 1:50:37, set during marathon training this fall.  I like this group, though, so plan to stick around.

I'm currently getting ready to start marathon training again for a spring marathon and a first attempt at a, gulp, BQ (which is 3:45 for me.)  Not that worried about it, though - if I first I don't succeed, I'll try, try again.  I'm using Pfitz recently - did 18/55 with some added miles for my fall marathon and probably will again.

I'm currently doing the Holiday Streak, too.  Just hit day 10, which matches my longest ever.  Ran on the treadmill today because I'm on call, while watching Dirty Dancing.  That's one of my guilty pleasures long run movies and I usually watch it once or twice a year on the treadmill.

Jan26.2

meaghan and docjen - Hi!! Big grin Yay for familiar "faces." Like docjen, my half PR came during marathon training and I was mostly following the NYRR intermediate marathon plan. So, I guess it was a more mileage, mostly slower, with designated faster miles during the week type of plan. The midweek longish run helped tons, in my opinion. I follow the plan basics, but rearrange days and add miles frequently.

docjen - I'm making peace with my TM again, as our weather has had some pretty horrendous streaks lately. You've always amazed me with your TM stamina.

meaghan - I really like Fitzgerald's stuff - got to check out the Brain Training book!

GreggyT

The Running Geek

An interesting discussion on training plans.  My best HM is 1:52, but that was in the middle of a marathon training program.  Also just PR'd  in the 5 K by about 1 minute.   Now that you got me thinking.. maybe it is the high mileage that is really helping out my training.  I was at about 40 miles/week when I noticed a big improvement.  I have also recently added some speed work.   I was using the RW "Best Marathon Program" in a recent issue (Aug maybe)?

In hindsight, I would say my biggest breakthrough came from the long (slow) runs at distances up to about 17 miles.  The added muscle strength seems to make running a lot easier.

Before this, my HM times were 2:14, 2:10, 2:07, 1:56.  I remember how exciting it was to finally break 2:00!!!  Keep up the hard work and you will get there.

My next HM is Birmingham and I am shooting to break 1:50.  

UCP Florence AL 1/2 Marathon 10/29/11 Goal 2:00

Mobile AL Marathon 1/8/12 Goal Finish First Marathon (4:30 goal?)

Nashville Music City 1/2 Marathon 4/30/12 Goal < 2:00

meaghansketch

meaghan - I really like Fitzgerald's stuff - got to check out the Brain Training book!

I wouldn't recommend it unconditionally, and Fitzgerald himself says that it ended up being kind of a 'first draft' of "Run: The mind-body method to running by feel", but it has some good stuff in it and I think the plan is as solid as any I've seen for a 'speed then endurance' approach. The plans rely a lot on goal-pace running, which I think is often a mistake for many people, as I think many people have too much overconfidence/optimism about how much they can improve over a 24-week training period.

Everybody: Hi, and welcome to this thread. Hope you will enjoy and stick around, even when you have run sub-2 and have bigger and better goals. 

Jan: I see your HM PR is 4 seconds better than mine. The challenge is on!

DrJen: Good to see you. Sorry if I already asked this baco on RW, but which marathon are you aiming for? I am aiming for the New Jersey Marathon, first weekend of May, which means my Pfitz 18/55 will start the last weekend of 2012. How about you? 

PineGroveDave: fingers and toes corssed. Look forward to your race report

Miele: anxiously awaiting news of your marathon. What was it like running in Wellington boots?

Me: a gentle 7m this morning. AHR 137 to finish week 2 of Philly Marathon 5-week recovery cycle. Spending a lot of time on the Internet this weekend figuring out which races to fit into my marathon training plan. I intend doing a few, just so that I don't become too obsessed with May. Also want to benefit from the increased training to set 5K/10K/HM PR

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

npaden

Hey guys.  Welcome to RunningAhead.  I've actually been over here since April, just posted some on RWOL as well.

Wasn't sure if we were going to start a User Group or stick to a thread type format.

I hadn't heard how the weather was for Miele, hope she had a great race.

Unseasonably warm here in Texas lately, pushing 80 degrees today! 

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

P.S. - The Training Log here is REALLY good.  Most folks make their log public and there are some very experienced runners and coaches who post regularly on here.  Sometimes they come across a little high and mighty, but they generally really know what they are talking about.

You just click on the little bar graph by the PM thing under their name and it will take you to their log.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Camp Muir

I ran 2:00:13 at Grand Rapids this past October 23rd.  Talk about training incentive!  I think I'll focus on a spring half and try to nail it.  Geez my 10k PR is getting soft in the mean time.  I think I actually ran a 10k PR in my most recent half (Grand Rapids).

I remember back in the day when 9:02 felt like easy jogging pace.  Oh well age takes its toll!

HappyFeat

Wasn't sure if we were going to start a User Group or stick to a thread type format.

There actually is a Half Marathon Trainers user group. If you are interested in posting there, here is the link:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/forum

I'm in that group and just ran my first sub-2-hour HM in September. My next goal is to do it again - only easier - have a stronger race.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.