Jacket suggestions (Read 1085 times)

I often wear a gore-tex type jacket I got from the Goodwill-then I cut the sleeves off and wear a long sleeve tech shirt underneath (plus a vest if it's colder). Around here it doesn't get very cold- this is good in the rain and in the cold down to 20-25 F or so. (Also have gore-tex pants I cut the legs off of to make shorts.)

xor

I often wear a gore-tex type jacket I got from the Goodwill-then I cut the sleeves off and wear a long sleeve tech shirt underneath (plus a vest if it's colder). Around here it doesn't get very cold- this is good in the rain and in the cold down to 20-25 F or so. (Also have gore-tex pants I cut the legs off of to make shorts.)

Hey man, don't hassle the weather karma and hex us.

Feeling the growl again

Do you wash all your shirts before you run in them again? 

No, that would lead to ridiculous amounts of laundry and the need to buy many more shirts.  I wash them when they start standing on their own or chafing from salt content.

Of course, my wife won't hug me when I am in my running clothes either.  Wink

Running clothes get perma-stink, no way around that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obiebyke

Extend that philosophy to other areas of your life and you can really save time and money.  Like on toilet paper, as but one example.

Nice. 

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tomatolover

I've been looking for a running jacket myself, though one with sleeves I can zip off and pocket.   Anyone wear something like this?  Thoughts?

xor

I have a nike jacket. I owned it for a couple years before I realized that the sleeves zipped out.  Huh.

Point being, I've never quite understood vests I guess.

I have a nike jacket. I owned it for a couple years before I realized that the sleeves zipped out.  Huh.

But to your merit, you do see the value in Thriller jackets.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I've been looking for a running jacket myself, though one with sleeves I can zip off and pocket.   Anyone wear something like this?  Thoughts?

Friend of mine has one from Pearl Izumi or Sugoi.  Seems well-made and certainly works for him.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Best Present Ever

I just bought one. Love it.  Sometimes I want something to keep the wind off me, at least much of me, but I get hot in a jacket pretty fast unless it's really cold out (like under 30 degrees).  The vest keeps me just right when it's in the mid-30s-40s. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Layer yourself in toilet paper, is that what I'm hearing from you people?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

They keep you warm by stopping the wind on your core but allow moisture to breathe out

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I look my best blurry!

I love wind/water resistant vests. I feel restricted in Gortex or anything heavy or that doesn't stretch. I wear arm warmers under my shirts and can pull them out from under my shirt sleeves and put them in my vest pockets. I always wash the underneath layers (underwear/underwhere?). You don't? Ick!

I'm really glad you posted about arm warmers.  I never really understood why someone would use them--now I get it.  Once I'm doing longer runs, I can see the point of having multiple layers available for the duration.  Pockets-now there's a good idea, too.  I hope the OP has gotten as much from this thread as I have. 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
                              I always wash the underneath layers (underwear/underwhere?). You don't? Ick!

Your Boston eligibility can be revoked for conduct unbecoming a runner.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I look my best blurry!

I don't think I'm the unbecoming one you are referring to on this thread, so, I have no worries!