Torn Meniscus (Read 595 times)

I was recently diagnosed with a severely torn meniscus. The Orthopedic surgeon gave me two options. Either have it "cleaned out" surgically, or try a cortisone shot. He says that the shot can provide permanant relief in about 50% of the cases. He also said that I will be able to resume running again in 4 days. And he also prescribed Celebrex daily for three weeks, then as needed after that. I opted to try the cortisone shot and started running again 2 days ago. I havn't run in three months, so I only ran two miles each day at an easy pace. The knee pain is minimal thus far. I'm curious if anyone has enjoyed long term, non-surgical relief from a meniscus tear.
      I have never had a torn meniscus but I have worked with tons of people who have. The one major thing to think about is your quad strength. Most of the time if you are going with the nonsurgical option the recommendation is Physical Therapy to make sure that your knee is strong enough to not cause further issues.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf