Running on Zoloft. (Read 2095 times)

Member Since 2008

My doctor is thinking of putting me on Zoloft for depression and anxiety. I tried paxil, but that really took away my energy. Does anyone have any experience with this? P.S. I run alot so running alone does not take care of the Post Tramatic Stress Disorder I have. I also take Clondine, if anyone is familiar with that one I would appreciate it. Trent if you could chime in, it would be an honor. Thanks.
    xor

I was on celexa (mostly replaced by lexapro nowadays) which is an SSRI kind of like zoloft. Alas, at the time, I was also on a bunch of other meds so it would be hard for me to specify exactly what the celexa did/didn't do. My dreams got a lot more vivid and my, er, sex life changed. Specific to running, it didn't really make me more tired... hard to say, though... I do know that about six weeks into it, things kind of hit a steady state. But I posted mostly to say the next thing... About two months after starting celexa, my doctor decided that I needed a "brightener" to help with my permanent case of the mondays. So I got placed on Wellbutrin. This did impact my running, because I started hallucinating stuff. Not TV-show level hallucinations. Peripheral vision stuff. Maybe I'd see a rock out of the corner of my eye. My brain would reprocess that as "a snake" or after awhile "a person". Maybe I'd see a leaf blowing on the ground. My brain would turn that into "spider!" Sounds funny, right? Not when you are running on trails. I wound up scaring the begeebuz out of myself and dodging a whole lot of nothing. Also, not when I was driving. I made a whole lot of inadvertent "oh shit" lane changes to dodge the guy I thought was sitting in the lane next to me. This lasted about 3 months (because the doctor wanted to give it some time to see if I'd hit steady state), and then she cut my dosage in half. Problem solved. But man oh man, I will always remember the detail and complexity of my celexa/wellbutrin fueled dreams.

Although zoloft and paxil have similar mechanisms of action, they can differ a bit in the side-effects. Paxil tends to be more sedating and cause more weight gain. Zoloft is likely to be more activating, which early in the course can be uncomfortable as the increased energy feels like anxiety. This usually diminishes over the first few weeks. I really don't have any information about zoloft and running. The clonidine is an antihypertensive which works at a receptor in the brain(thus the use in PTSD as well). You may need to watch for dizziness early on. Good job with the running, and best of luck with your therapy. By the way, I am a psychiatrist at a VA hospital, but I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Smile
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Minderbender is a better resource in this area than I am. And he said as I would have. The key is that all SSRIs (and all meds in general) have side effects. Among SSRIs and among people who take them, the side effects differ. It is a matter of finding the right medication for you, and this can take trial and error. Much luck and make NO changes without consulting with your doc.

Outside Lane

Speaking of a mindbender..... hey trent is it supposed to say "funky monkey" under your avatar (the upside-down monkey)? and is your signature line "may the monkey be with you"?

See how they run...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Member Since 2008

Mindbender, Thanks so much for your response. Hopefully after the Zoloft starts working I can get rid of the Clonodine. It sounds like what ever I am given, I will have to give it time for it to adjust properly. Thanks for your input.
                A few years ago after I was having a severe problem with unsuccessful pregnancies, my doc made me try all of them. They all sucked. The worst was Celexa. But Effexer was no picnic either. The only thing I've ever found to work is Trazodone ( desyrel) Does not mess with running at all. It's old school, though. I guess what works for one, may not work for another. Good luck !!!

- Anya

Between my mother dying and a forced chage of jobs I took Prozac. I ran and I thought my times were slower because of age. I think some of it was. I stopped taking Prozac last year after my annual race. Even though my training distances were shorter I was able to improve my training pace. Another 'however ' happened. I got plantar fasciitis(see entries) and my running came to a halt because of pain. So the conclusion is that anti-depressents may slow you down.
                  RedRoom

Greetings all. My first post here. I was searching google for Running on Zoloft and...well...here I am. I realize that this is a little old, but I surely hope that the Zoloft worked out for you and that things are looking brighter. I have been on SSRIs for 10 years...run through most of those years. 6 weeks ago I switched to Zoloft from Celexa. I almost immediately lost 25 pounds and have been have unbelievable runs. Last week was my first 35 mile week in perhaps 15 years. As far as running goes...this stuff may or may not have an affect, but I cannot discount the rapid turn around. Odd thing is I am on the fence as to whether the Zoloft actually does the real job...but we shall see. As to the depression...stick with anything they give you for at least a couple of months to let the stuff actually kick in and have the side effects subside.
                      I was on Zoloft a few years ago for general anxiety/mild depression. I also tried Lexapro. The Zoloft was better in that it did not make me as lethargic. I wasn't running heavily at the time, just working out at a gym, and doing light running and biking. I did gain weight from both... it was very easy to just lay around and do nothing while on them. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep... very hard to get up and do anything like exercise. Eventually, the lethargy caused me to become even more depressed so I got off them and have been much better ever sense. I don't regret any of it as it helped me through a rough period in life.

50 halfs by age 50

If you're on thyroid medication, let your prescriber know about starting the Zoloft. Zoloft can affect the TSH levels.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Im on zoloft for life due to genetics. A pill a day helps. Go for it. Keep running.

Treadmill Addict

Oh my gosh, I just tried paxil, and was sooooooo exhausted for the past few weeks. Non-stop yawning. I have PTSD and BPD issues. Fun. I was on Zoloft for several months before that, and although it gave me a more zombie-too-even feeling, I think I'm going to switch back to it, it didn't suck away my energy like Paxil. Anyway, so my opinion is that Zoloft worked fine for me and didn't affect my running at all. Withdrawals are AWFUL though. Seriously awful.

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.