Ultrarunning good for overall health (Read 182 times)

Korey1989

Hi All,

As a runner, its always been an interesting question how much distance is too much. Like many runners, I have one bum(ish) knee, that if I ever take a break and first start running again, I can't walk for about an hour afterwards.

I recently started a project which measures a key ageing biomarker (telomeres) and learned something really fascinating about the effect of ultrarunning on telomeres -- apparently it has been shown to cause longer telomeres (a good thing).

Anyway, how much running do you think is too much, if any? If you'd like to read more, please check out my blog post about telomere length and endurance exercise: http://titanovo.com/telomere-length-and-exercise/

people that ultra run possess the addictive personality. they have either pace chased themselves into injury with shorter distances or lack the talent to progress faster. so then depressed, miles become the drug and so the need for always more is constant to get that need for more dopamine release. when the body can no longer to do more miles due to injury or time restrictions...they become triathletes and the process starts all over.

there is no answer to your question. that longer telomeres is based on people getting what they need and not what they don't. they are happy people.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

xhristopher

So, telomeres are like condoms or nipguards for the dna. Methinks training for ultra running but not actually running the ultra would be even better for overall health. But that would be a boring experience.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

people that ultra run possess the addictive personality. they have either pace chased themselves into injury with shorter distances or lack the talent to progress faster. so then depressed, miles become the drug and so the need for always more is constant to get that need for more dopamine release. when the body can no longer to do more miles due to injury or time restrictions...they become triathletes and the process starts all over.

there is no answer to your question. that longer telomeres is based on people getting what they need and not what they don't. they are happy people.

Kind of a lot of stereotyping don't ya think?

So all ultra runners are additive types

Depressed

Lack talent

Can't run fast

Need the miles drug fix

I'm not an ultra runner but I think your answer is 75% BS.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

To answer the question of the OP -

Lots of controversy on that question. It is likely that any run of about an hour has achieved about 90% or more of the health benefits of running. Beyond an hour, the law of diminshing returns comes in and the risk of injury goes up. That said, lots of benefits for endurance happen after that first hour. But for overall health, not say... marathon success, then you can stop at the 1 hour mark and lower your risk of injury.

Now if you want to do well in a marathon then you need long runs of up to about 3 hours.  For doing ultras, you need even longer runs. But for overall health a hour is all you need.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Kalsarikännit

they have either pace chased themselves into injury with shorter distances or lack the talent to progress faster. so then depressed, miles become the drug and so the need for always more is constant to get that need for more dopamine release. when the body can no longer to do more miles due to injury or time restrictions...they become triathletes and the process starts all over.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on RA, and that is saying something.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Dr Kenneth Cooper of late 60's aerobics fame and founder of the Cooper Institute in Dallas has commented on more than 1 occasion that people that run more than 3 miles are not doing it for physical fitness. Closing in on 82,000 miles of running I agree. My physical fitness is and has been a nice by product of my nearly 4 decades of running. Continue to enjoy your journey, be it a 2 mile run around the block or a 6 day race. Nike said it best some years ago "There is no finish line". Well, the cemetary maybe.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi All,

As a runner, its always been an interesting question how much distance is too much. Like many runners, I have one bum(ish) knee, that if I ever take a break and first start running again, I can't walk for about an hour afterwards.

I recently started a project which measures a key ageing biomarker (telomeres) and learned something really fascinating about the effect of ultrarunning on telomeres -- apparently it has been shown to cause longer telomeres (a good thing).

Anyway, how much running do you think is too much, if any? If you'd like to read more, please check out my blog post about telomere length and endurance exercise: http://titanovo.com/telomere-length-and-exercise/

OP, I'm not convinced any study has demonstrated causation as opposed to correlation. I don't know whether I was born with durable telomeres, or if running is fixing them (or not). I do credit running with making me feel much younger.

bhearn

Dammit. I am NOT going to become a fucking triathlete.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Dammit. I am NOT going to become a fucking triathlete.

You're doomed.

BeeRunB

It's too much when your immune system begins to break down (you're getting sick all the time), you've entered one of the three states of overtraining, you've injured yourself due to overuse, or you start to lose your closest personal relationships because of it. The amount of training and racing needed to make these things more probable is different for everyone.

As for telomere size and a robust life, I believe girth is more important than length.

i would like apologize to korey...that your sincere question has fallen into the muck as so many often do in here.

it was not my intent to start negetive belittlement hashing and if i contributed to that, i'm sorry.

my post was an honest reply in MY honesty.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/