Running Shorts info... (Read 2082 times)

willy4x4s

I am fairly new to running and started this health kick on January 2nd, 2009. It is by far the longest and most successful health related resolution that I have made and kept yet. I am 5' 11" tall and weighed 207 lbs. on Jan.2. I currently weigh 185 lbs. and run 20 miles a week now. The ONE thing that drives me absolutely crazy is my boxer briefs riding up my crouch. Does anyone have some suggestions on what type of shorts will work best for me? I do know I need something to protect me against chaffing however something creeping up my crouch every two minutes sucks.
    willy4x4s

I just realized this is in the wrong forum Confused

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

For the most part I don't have chafing issues until I am the above 10 mile range, even then it's not that bad even with my regular Hanes boxer briefs. I just picked up a 2 pack of C9 boxer briefs from Target ($10), I've only run once in a pair, 10.4 miles, and had absolutely no chafing.
        Ben Running

i dont know what they are called but they are basically spandex boxers that fit tight on your legs and they work wonderful! You can spend 20 a pair for Nike or UA but i found some at Wal Mart for like 7.99 a 3 pack.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I wear running shorts with liners and nothing else. It is all technical material. It breathes, dries quickly and rarely chafes.
              This drove me insane for about a year when I first started running. I also started buying the spandex shorts from Walmart/Target to wear under my running shorts. They are around 10 bucks and will solve your problem. Someone mentioned above that they found a 3 pack of them for 7.99, I'll have to look into that. MTA: I wear long shorts (compared to real "running" shorts) also from walmart/target. If you wear these the spandex shorts/boxer briefs mentioned above will work fine. If you wear shorty shorts, then Trent's suggestion of the running shorts with liner is probably the way to go. I am not enough of a runner to pull of those yet. I don't think I ever will be. Wink
              jeffdonahue

I am fairly new to running and started this health kick on January 2nd, 2009. It is by far the longest and most successful health related resolution that I have made and kept yet. I am 5' 11" tall and weighed 207 lbs. on Jan.2. I currently weigh 185 lbs. and run 20 miles a week now. The ONE thing that drives me absolutely crazy is my boxer briefs riding up my crouch. Does anyone have some suggestions on what type of shorts will work best for me? I do know I need something to protect me against chaffing however something creeping up my crouch every two minutes sucks.
                I have the same issue - I cant wear regular shorts. I have to wear spandex shorts - I really like my new pair of raceready fitness shorts. They are a nice comfortable material that dries extremely quickly and has plenty of pockets for Gus or keys or any small items you might wnat to take with you.
                xor

plenty of pockets for Gus
                  Gus will be happy to learn this!

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I just picked up a 2 pack of C9 boxer briefs from Target ($10)
                    +1 - These are great. No seams, no chafing.
                      I like the shorts with the built in boxer spandex liners These Sugoi Shorts are nice and I have a pair by Adidas that are pretty good too.
                        spandex boxers = "COMPRESSION SHORTS" I haven't had any chafing since I tried them. They are all I use now during my runs. I wear a pair of just basic running or soccer style shorts over them (no liner) since my fat ass in spandex would kill most anything that looked in my general direction. Frankly, I think the last few pair I got from Target or maybe even Wal-Mart. I just cannot justify paying the premium price for brands like Under Armor when the cheap ones work perfect for me and have lasted a long time.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

wyerock

I started in January too. I have a couple pairs of the UA boxer briefs and a couple pairs of UA compression shorts. The boxer briefs breathe better than the compression shorts and I stay cooler with them. Normally anything synthetic works well, but I suggest staying away from the polyester briefs. In my experience polyester tends to chafe the most among the synthetics. I will definitely have to check into the cheaper versions at Walmart/Target since I have to wash the UA ones over and over.