What's the best type of show for my issues? (Read 917 times)

mark-bixler

Over-pronation, under-pronation, stability, neutral, motion control....It makes my wee little pea brain hurt...My shoes wear on the outside of the heel first along with the middle to outside third of the fore foot...It is worst on my right foot than my left...My heel starts to shoe wear after 100 miles or less on the right foot... What the heck kinda shoe am I looking for? Thanks. I don't wanna trash my IT Band again in this marathon...

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

I'd suggest something like the Blue Man Group.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

Probably has less to do with your shoes, and more to do with your training.
        kcam

I'd suggest something like the Blue Man Group.
          I was thinking Dr. Phil?
            I was thinking Dr. Phil?
            Dr. Who? Clowning around Big grin
            2009 goals
            • 600 km.
            • sub 100kg
            • get the first races in the belt
              I was thinking Dr. Phil?
              Damnit, you beat me to it. Well played.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Cirque du Soleil will get the heart rate in the appropriate range for optimal workout. I'd check them out.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

kcam

Over-pronation, under-pronation, stability, neutral, motion control....It makes my wee little pea brain hurt...My shoes wear on the outside of the heel first along with the middle to outside third of the fore foot...It is worst on my right foot than my left...My heel starts to shoe wear after 100 miles or less on the right foot... What the heck kinda shoe am I looking for? Thanks. I don't wanna trash my IT Band again in this marathon...
                  Don't know. Maybe go to a local running store that has a treadmill with gait-analysis tools. They are the ones that can really help you with this question.
                  Scout7

I reiterate: It's more likely your training, and not the shoes. Look at mileage, look at intensity. I'm willing to bet you ramped up one or both too quickly.

Dave

Mark, My shoes wear the same way but the heel wear isn't an indicator of what type of shoe you need and as Scout mentioned twice, it very well may not be your shoes. I had an IT band injury when I first ramped up my mileage for a planned marathon in 2007. The next time, I ramped up more slowly, built a few more easy miles and avoided an injury this time around. Getting fitted by a professional running store is a great first step. I needed stability shoes. My local running store was awesome in steering me to the right shoe within the range of stability shoes. Seemed to improve some of the soreness in my knees and legs from training (legs didn't hurt so much in the morning). Looking at your log, you don't show any runs as anything other than easy but everything is down at or below an 8 minute pace including runs that you show as an Effort rating of 7. I'm wondering if you don't need to really learn what easy feels like and save the speedwork for hard days.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Get thee to a running specialty store. Have them look at your feet, take a look at your stride and see what they recommend.
                          ditto dgb - and remember that the local running store does not mean Dick's or Sports Authority, or some other store like that...they dont always have people who know. If you find a good running shoe store or running store - most of them have runners on staff that understand shoes and pronation and can assist you in getting the correct shoe/fit. Dont go it alone cause if you dont understand this, you can end up in the wrong shoe and that can cause you problems.

Champions are made when no one is watching