How many miles before I replace shoes? (Read 1167 times)

I like it when you snarkers crawl back to the thread with your tail between your legs. Bravo to Ann. You pulled off a nice trick.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Lazy idiot

I like it when you snarkers crawl back to the thread with your tail between your legs. Bravo to Ann. You pulled off a nice trick.
      Yes, well done. also...

Tick tock

I'm for veering back off track. Kinda. And for searching. And for asking w/out searching. Answer to the OP question: For me @400ish. I weigh 15?ish pounds. Fairly good stride. Get lazy and scuff my heals a bit toward end of long runs (14+). Run mainly on paved surface and crushed limestone "rail trials." YMMV I do think a sticky for some subjects would help, or an advisory that searching may be a good idea. Might have saved me from asking some obvious questions when I first arrived here after the collapse of CR. That said, I do enjoy the banter of responses to questions and requestions. Yeah, this place has it's characters, but they are harmless and I've found them welcoming. Newbies/obvious question askers aren't treated like idiots, unless they come across as a douche by rejecting advice sought/trolling. Really though, ask a serious question, even if it's been asked before, it will get answered. I used to come here for advice. Now I come for entertainment.
        xor

unless they come across as a douche by rejecting advice sought/trolling.
          Now who would do that?

Lazy idiot

Now who would do that?
            Trent

Tick tock

JakeKnight

If you don't want to read/answer the same questions over and over again, shouldn't it be better to just ignore the thread, instead of scaring newbies away? Or just write a FAQ, and make it a sticky post where you can easily refer to.
              It's a fair point - and a FAQ is a great idea. In fact, just a handful of stickies for the usual topics (long runs, shoes, music, hydration/nutrition, etc) would take care of almost all of it. But while I see your point - isn't there another side of it? Just as the old crowd has an obligation to be friendly and helpful, don't the new guys have some obligation to look around a bit and use that search function, especially before asking questions that they just have to know must have been heard a thousand times? Maybe just asking Eric to highlight the search function in big green neon letters would help. The funny thing is, its not there to avoid annoying people - its there because this place is enormously helpful and full of information. And when you ask an obvious question, its already been answered a dozen times by real experts. We have actual shoe experts here, for example, who've discussed this at length. And unlike some of us they have actual lives, and probably won't take the time to repeat the information. So if you skip that search function, you're missing all the most helpful stuff. (Which is my usual response, if I bother, is to use it for them). Not to high-jack completely - but I'm curious about opinions, since this keeps coming up, and people keep getting scolded for not being friendly enough: do new people have any responsibility for doing a little research? Or is that really too much to ask? Is it a two-way street or one-way? I ask sincerely. I don't know the answer.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Double IPA Please!

Naughty boys, the lot of you. Get a hobby. Wink I can usually get my shoes to give me about 400 miles or so, my latest pair went to 450 before I started to feel some issues..The pair before that only 3something, but I still use them in rotation sometimes.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm going to put both of the 'real' answers together here. It depends on the shoe. Mizuno Alchemy? 300. Actually, 299. 300 and above... I mean, even 301, and I start getting knee pain. I used to run only in Mizunos, but I had to give it up because... ...I can get 500 out of Brooks Adrenaline and Trance.
                  Ain't that the truth. I got 16 miles out of my Nike Zoom Vomeros before they had to be replaced.
                  Ringmaster

Well, I wonder if the truly new runner (like I was when I arrived) is so new and so ignorant he or she doesn't know enough to know the questions have been asked a hundred times. I think I thought my questions were really new and I was really unique. I think I still think that, I'm now asking my questions in other places, or using the search function. Smile The FAQ is actually a great idea.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

AroundTheHorn

I believe it's feast or famine. There are lot of people out there who have no idea what a forum was before they got here much alone a search function. On the other hand, to the people who are forum lifers, you should recieve a 3 day ban for not starting a new thread and not using the search button.
                      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                        Guys, I really do understand that when you are on this forums for a longer time, it can be boring to see the same questions over and over again. But I must say, that when I came here two years a go, the atmosphere on the 'Running 101' (did you notice the 'New to running? Come here to get help from more experienced runners.' under the title?) was much friendlier towards newbies. After reading the threads on this forum for a week now, I have learned one thing: 'DON'T ASK ANYTHING!' If you don't want to read/answer the same questions over and over again, shouldn't it be better to just ignore the thread, instead of scaring newbies away? Or just write a FAQ, and make it a sticky post where you can easily refer to.
                        As a newbie(ish), I'll say the fear of humiliation is a good deterrent and it helps keep the boards "fresh". I mean, who wants to be a commet magnet? Of course, I am bound to ask a commet question at some point (again?) and the only way I'll know is when I see the monkeys fly! OR Burt Reynolds will show up, scantily-clad. or both.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Twas Sean Connery scantily clad, but your wish is my command:

Twas Sean Connery scantily clad, but your wish is my command:
                            Oh, Senior, I am not quite sure it was a wish, per se..., but thanks nonetheless.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I only got about 150 miles from my last pair of Brooks Beast. 300-400 miles is just a guide everybody and every pair of shoes is different.
                              xor

Oh, Senior, I am not quite sure it was a wish, per se..., but thanks nonetheless.
                                Senior? I ain't THAT old. You must be thinking of ilene. (I kid, ilene, I kid). SR = Stevie Ray. Now you are wishing for pictures of "per se". This isn't that kind of a board.