Q's First Marathon Report - Grand Rapids 2008 (Read 960 times)

De-slacking in progress

Great report... too many of these reports that kind of mimic my life before running. If you people can do it, than by God, I know I can do it !! Crap- my allergies are acting up again- brb- gotta get some tissues... Cry

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

A Saucy Wench

I read it again. I welled up again. I may have to book mark it for one of those days when I just need a good tissue fest. Big grin Maybe we should gather a bunch of the best marathon reports and publish "Chicken Soup for the Runner's Soul"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Very, very, very nice and inspiring.......wow! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe we should gather a bunch of the best marathon reports and publish "Chicken Soup for the Runner's Soul"
          Now there is a very fine idea indeed. Not just marathon reports, but include the best writing on running we have seen. Who's going to do it? BTW - Q. You asshat. You made a 36 year old former Army Major weep whilst sitting at his desk. Not cool. First time I have shed tears since my mother died. Thanks.

Bruno

Phenomenal report! Great work and thanks for sharing such an inspirational story. PS--I LOVE THE GR MARATHON

Top 'O the World!

I read it again. I welled up again. I may have to book mark it for one of those days when I just need a good tissue fest. Big grin Maybe we should gather a bunch of the best marathon reports and publish "Chicken Soup for the Runner's Soul"
              EXACTLY!!! Mike ~ YOU are one incredibly awesome guy!! You family is incredibly blessed - as are we for you sharing your wonderful heart with us!! ....& anything that makes Purdey cry?... Wink brilliant!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks again, everyone. It means a lot to me to read all of the awesome comments. You make a boy blush. Blush OH, I should point out that Emily finished THIRD in her age group and won an age group award! She's just 19, and it was her first marathon too! I learned yesterday that my impression of how she looked over the last six miles was somewhat different than how she actually felt. Big surprise there, right? Smile
                BTW - Q. You asshat. You made a 36 year old former Army Major weep whilst sitting at his desk. Not cool. First time I have shed tears since my mother died. Thanks.
                Thank you, Purdey. Wink And Ennay,
                I read it again. I welled up again.
                YOU STARTED IT!!!! Your Portland Marathon report is pretty damn inspiring stuff. Screw finishing a marathon, after reading your report, my dumbass wants to qualify now!!! This place has been overrun with dumbasses...

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I just read your Marathon report and was totally inspired by it. Wink I have this file where I keep inspirational running stories and or sayings......I am copying yours and putting it right in there with the great stuff written by others. It will serve me well in the future when Im having a tough time getting going and need some help getting out the door. Setting in my office with tears in my eyes after reading this..... Absolutely Fabulous..........Great Job..... Wink Smile Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Dave

Q, this is why I love race reports. Inspirational. Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I may be nursing some weak legs at the moment but I won't be short on inspiration this weekend Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congratulations Q! Smile Awesome report filled with such emotion!

Michelle

Absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I too am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. What an inspiration! Congrats!

Run the race God set B4U

Q, Thanks for your awesome report. You make us normal people feel like we can accomplish anything. It's very inspiring and written very well. Great job!!!!
                          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

an amazing likeness

Wow, what a wonderful story of a fantastic accomplishment. In some ways a marathon is like a moon shot -- tons of fuel and equipment are used up and discarded along the way to a singular event. So I add my congratulations, not only for the 26.2 moon walk at the end, but the heavy lifting of long, lonely hours logging miles in heat, in rain, in winter's cold with nothing other than your inner drive moving each foot forward. What an inspiration you are!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Another Passion

Mike, after reading this I can only say for myself that I am sorry it took me so long to do so. YOU DA MAN, my friend! I am so flippin' proud of you! This is an awesome piece of writing, as so many others have pointed out, and you did an amazing job finishing your first marathon. Congratulations, MARATHONER! I agree with Ennay in that we should be putting together a collection of some of the best written race reports from RA, of which this is certainly one of them. The other of my immediate nominations for said collection would be this report here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/084a465e081d455eb43cb548f414c88f For those that have not read the above by our esteemed, Q, it too, is a MUST read. This first time Detroit Half Marathon race report was probably the most powerful of inspirational catalysts in my own running and in determining to run my first marathon last spring. Q, I had tears at the end of this report report and was absolutely sobbing from your HM report last year. You are a gifted writer, an awesome runnah, an inspiration, and amazing husband, father, and son who(m) (whatevva!) I look forward to toeing the line with some day. Smile Oh, and for those at home reading, in case these reports from Q weren't enough to start your water works a-flowing, here's some excerpts from his race details in his log I stalked: Mom and Dad: I really appreciate you coming over for the race. Thanks too for watching the kids so that Rebecca could be out there. This was a pretty big deal to me, and you both helped me more that day than you will ever probably know. I love you both. Madison: My baby girl. This whole thing is your fault! My life changed one day because of you. I carried you up the stairs to your crib for bedtime, and I was singing to you (“I’ve been working on the railroad”, you love that song). By the time I got to the top of the stairs, I was so out of breath that I couldn’t sing for two full minutes. It was right then that I knew something was going to have to change or I wasn’t going to be around for you. You’re my little pumpkin butt. You saved my life. Matthew: Every day, you get bigger, and smarter. And I lose you a little bit more. You will always give your mom a hug and a kiss, and profess to her your affection. Dads and sons don’t do those things much as we grow up. And this is ok. It is the way of things. I did this silly race in the hopes that you can see, someday, that anything is possible. You are so strong, and I love you, so very much. Rebecca: Took us some work to get through this thing, didn’t it? I vote that for the next one you stay completely healthy and out of the hospital. Deal? Training for this race was a lot of work for me, but I know it was a lot of work for you too. I’ll never be able to express how much I appreciate everything you do for me. You’re simply the most amazing person I know. You're quite a RUNNAH BABEE and... an even better man, Q. Like Joni said, glad to *know* you, Mike.

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

A Saucy Wench

rvelich - you just HAD to make me bawl again. You owe me a box of kleenex dammit.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7