Did you hate running when you were young, but now love it? (Read 949 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I did one season of cross country in Jr High (man, could that have been 30 years ago Shocked ), and I hated it!! The only reason I joined was because my best friend joined and I thought I'd give it a shot. Once I started the season (and hated running), I wasn't about to quit though....I just toughed it out. I was usually always the last one. Once the season was over...I vowed never again. I also had to run laps for football & baseball...and I was always last (or almost last...there might have been some bigger guys slower than me in football). I was a lineman...so I never really had to run much in the games. In baseball, I only stole one base (and that's because there was a man on third...lol). But I picked up running about 2 1/2 years ago (for fitness & weight loss), and now I love it. Yea, there are days I dread getting out on the road...but I suck it up and go out there. Of course, come race day...I'm always glad I sucked it out.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Great comments! I love to see people enjoy running and do it because it makes them feel great. It goes to prove that you can learn to love running (or the benefits) at any age, right?!
      "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K
        I ran with my freind a little as a teenager.He ran x-country.I never ran after that until my oldest son started running in middle school.That was about 6 years ago. I'm about 50 # lighter now and the addiction has set in deep. I love to get out and go! My youngest son also ran for the middle school and was pretty fast but he was always trying to catch the fastest guy.As a result he never really enjoyed it.Maybe he'll run for the love of it. Good Luck
          I ran track in junior high & part of high school. I was never all that good or interested. I tried running again in my mid 20s. Hated it. I remember stopping mid-run once, after about 2 or 3 miles and said "I hate doing this, why am I doing this?" I walked home and didn't go again. Until I hit 35. Not sure what it was about the age or what, but I love it. Now I've injured my back so I'm out for a few months but I'll be back. For me it's a stress reliever and "me" time. I've got a demanding job, I'm a wife and mother, and I don't get a lot of time for my own stuff. So I find it very theraputic.

Michelle

Ringmaster

Well, hopefully this will be inspiration when I find something else that I don't instantly love . . . I ran when I was young and was very fast . . . up to 400 meters. Coach would stick me in if he had to at 800, but he knew we'd lose the event. Cross-country events were death. Now, I love long runs the most, and hate those first two or three miles where you're just working out the kinks. Funny, huh?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile