Long run distraction strategy (Read 955 times)

Asics' Benefactor

HAHA Last night's run, I was calculating the squares of numbers from 1-30 something for a little bit I don't know why but it seemed to occupy my thinking very well
    2008 Goals:
    Run 5k (Naked Juice) 07/13/08 - 28:39
    Run 10K (San Diego AIDS) 09/28/08 - 51:59
    Run a 25 mile week Run a 100 mile month

Old, Slow, Happy

I do my long runs on Sunday morning before the sun is up. It is a beautiful time of day to run. I start in the dark and watch the sun rise. The birds wake up. You can see all sorts of wild life. I never use anything else to distract me from my running. Just trying to keep good form is all the distraction I need.
        At the risk of sounding like a stalker...finding a scantily clad, attractive runner that I can follow for a mile or two does wonders for me. I know my wife enjoys the shirtless guys that look like models. Run a deserted trail at dusk or through a sketchy part of town after dark and work really hard to freak yourself out. That works really well too. I won't be held responsible for elevated heart rates when employing either strategy.
        2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Imminent Catastrophe

I run until I start getting bored, that usually takes about an hour. Then I start the iPod.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hey, is this a clever way to disguise the old favorite "do you wear an ipod when you run" topic? Wink

Dave

No. But that seems to be what its turned into.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

i use my ipod...... i develop life strategies, should i get a new car, new job, etc. analyze the balance of landscape themes........ should this house add a bush, etc. try not to get hit by cars.........

...---...

I run until I start getting bored, that usually takes about an hour. Then I start the iPod.
                  Same here, Perfesser. I also change up the routes regularly. Even running the same route in reverse makes things look like new scenery and, believe it or not, has helps. Running with friends or with a group (no iPod) works best, for me, than anything else.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Scout7

I don't get it. What do you mean by "distraction"? The running is my distraction from everything else. If you mean what I think about, or what I do to get through a long run... I just let my mind wander. Mostly I think about running. Sometimes I think about work, or some other random topic. But mostly it's running.

Double IPA Please!

Sometimes I run with the tunes, but lately, I find that I like the quiet instead. The last few runs that I did use the music with I ended up ripping the plugs out by the end.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Dave

I don't get it. What do you mean by "distraction"?
                        Let me describe it this way. Have you ever been reading a book and sort of lost yourself to the point where your surroundings sort of faded and you turned around and an hour or two was gone? I've always found the first hour or so of my long runs to not be very interesting or engaging. I'm excited about the long run but the real challenge lies ahead. I find myself looking forward to the challenge, to getting the first hour or so out of the way so that I can get on to the fun part. On my last couple of long runs, I switched from either no Ipod or music to some hour long podcasts. Much like getting lost in a book, I found myself sort of switched off mentally for the first 90 minutes of my run and it seemed to help me get through the early, less engaging part of the run. That is what I meant by distracted.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

MikeB-BoR

I've been looking ahead at the ground, seeing if I can find any interesting things. Got a Snap-On screwdriver and a pair of Craftsman Pliers last week. My 20 mile run the week before i found a bracelet that read "Never Give Up" and 35 cents Smile

Goals :
                          •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

Running IS the distraction from real life.
                              Running IS the distraction from real life.
                              ditto! Running helps me clear my mind and just get away... feel life... be ... be with nature... feel myself moving through space. sometimes I sing songs... visualize my upcoming race... (warning that one can lead to somehow uping your pace by a minute a mile without realizing it) ...

Prince of Fatness

(warning that one can lead to somehow uping your pace by a minute a mile without realizing it)
                                So true.

Not at it at all.