I was putting on my running shoe and... (Read 1430 times)

...found a rusted out green 1972 Chevy Nova up on blocks. Weird. So I went barefoot.

you must have really big shoes!

in one X-country race in high school I was stung by a bee in mid race and took the dead bee out of my shoe at the finish line.  I have no idea how that happened.  I cannot imagine it was alive in there for several minutes before stinging me.  But it seemed equaly implausible that it somehow flew into a racing shoe in mid race.  It was a hell of a mystery.  My theory was that I killed it when I put on the shoe but only caught the wrath of the stinger a mile into the race.  Either way I learned to look more closely when putting on racing shoes that had been sitting in the open while I warmed up. 

DespiteMyself

I was flying down a hill on my bike a couple of weeks ago, and I hit a wasp in mid flight and it fell down my shirt. I could feel it walking around on my stomach while I tried to control the bike and come to a stop..

Jeebus Christ, that sting hurt......

+1 ... had that happen with a bee while riding a motorcycle ... riding with a group, not easy to stop ... brought tears.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

Marylander

+1 ... had that happen with a bee while riding a motorcycle ... riding with a group, not easy to stop ... brought tears.

Same here but with a wasp inside my helmet in heavy, but moving, rush hour traffic. I had to stay calm and find a place to stop while the stupid thing repeatedly stung me (I think it got me 4 times before I had my helmet off).

Queen of 3rd Place

Same here but with a wasp inside my helmet in heavy, but moving, rush hour traffic. I had to stay calm and find a place to stop while the stupid thing repeatedly stung me (I think it got me 4 times before I had my helmet off).

Meeee toooo!!! Rolling along at 65 or 70, watched it get caught in the slipstream over the windshield, then swept into the crack of my visor. It got lodged up over my eye and started working on me - took some effort to pull over across three lanes of traffic and get the helmet off. Hurt like ^%$@$!!!  The whole right side of my face swelled up, I looked truly beastly for a few days.

Ex runner

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Earmoths-Matt-Holliday-leaves-game-after-bug-in?urn=mlb-wp16823

a guy making over $100,000.00 per game had to leave due to a bug flying in his ear. 

beastly

Heh.

I hooked a small wasp or something in the collar of my partially-unzipped cycling jersey last week.  Three stings on the back of the neck before I got him.

On-topic: my running shoes live on top of the clothes dryer.  I tend to find sticks, Lego pieces and whatever other crap my son tosses in there for reasons unknown.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Earmoths-Matt-Holliday-leaves-game-after-bug-in?urn=mlb-wp16823

a guy making over $100,000.00 per game had to leave due to a bug flying in his ear. 

I have an aunt in Florida and one night a big roach (I think they call them something else) flew in her ear and wouldn't come out. She had to go to the ER to get it removed. 

Just thinking about that gives me the willies.

I have an aunt in Florida and one night a big roach (I think they call them something else) flew in her ear and wouldn't come out. She had to go to the ER to get it removed. 

That's it.  I'm never going to Florida.

Amy

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

eww.   roaches are bad enough but the thought of flying ones really give me the willies too!

steph  

One day while I was running, a fly flew all the way to the back of my mouth.  I managed to choke it out, but all I could think was, "I wonder if that fly just came from a pile of dog shit?"  It tasted nasty, dog shit or not.

rlemert

On the 'cricket' front: When I was young I had big high-top lace-up work boots that I liked to wear. One morning we were up well before dawn, so I wasn't really awake when I got dressed. I had one of those boots completely tied when I started feeling something under my arch squirming around, tickling me. It felt like I went through a lifetime of torture before I got that boot off so I could stop that cricket from tickling me.

On the wasp front: A couple of years ago I was mowing what we call our front yard (riding mower), and I felt something crawling on my hair. I brushed my hand over my head, then looked down to see the yellow jacket I'd just dislodged - along with a few of his/her friends. I'd just mowed over their underground nest and they were a bit peeved. I put the mower into high gear, popped the blades out of gear, and took off - in which direction I cared not! There were two that got me particularly well. One I trapped under my ear muffs, so he sat there pinned against my ear for a minute - taking his irritation out on my ear the entire time. The other got knocked down the front of my jacket - so he was able to spread the joy over a wide part of my excessively wide belly.

DespiteMyself

One day while I was running, a fly flew all the way to the back of my mouth.  I managed to choke it out, but all I could think was, "I wonder if that fly just came from a pile of dog shit?"  It tasted nasty, dog shit or not.

.........I read this at my desk .......... and laughed out loud!

Thanks Wink, I needed that

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

I'm glad something good came from that experience. Big grin

same here!