Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Steve thanks for that link poor Rod Dixon what a tough 4th place. Not a Kenyan in sight.

Marks thanks yes I will need to get better soon otherwise 10k pace aint happening. Im planning on another Parkrun the week after too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

last weeks training

3rd week at 40 plus. I will cut back a bit this week targeting mid 30's

Weekly Summary
      Monday, May 21, 2018 thru Sunday, May 27, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
      Mon 4.4 8:02 Afternoon Run 146 strava
      Tue 4.4 8:31 Afternoon Run 139 strava
      Wed 4.4 8:16 Afternoon Run 143 strava
      Thu 6.5 8:22 Afternoon Run 142 strava
      Sat 19.0 8:45 Morning Run 144 strava
      Sun 4.4 8:21 Afternoon Run 142 strava
        43.1 8:30      

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

To be fair, the Kenyans were boycotting like the rest of Africa but I don't think there were any that could touch the first 4 or so runners anyway.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve yeah I saw the kenyans were not there after watching more vids looped after your link. Came across one on Virens form. He looked like he was jogging even on the last lap of races. So efficient.

Cfar nice mileage starting to build.

My 2nd no running day today due to a cold. TBH not the worst cold but draining my energy and my breathing systems are still heavy. Getting sleep though and have a good appetite.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Quite a few are getting good weeks in, congrats!

Piwi, sorry for your flu... The flu is in my house too, last night nobody slept as the kids have it... for now I am safe, but I am not feeling 100% (flu and warm weather in June in the UK... where is the world going???).

As I mentioned last week, apparently my body or brain decided that the Luxembourg marathon wasn't for me and did not allow me to push myself over the edge... I had cramps and all, but probably once that started, I stopped pushing, and in the matter of a week I was on my way to full recovery. Last week I took it easy as I was travelling in the US, I had gym in the hotels so I did a lot of stretching and some cross-training.

However I took some chance to test my legs: In total I ran 25 miles last week, with 3 main training to check my legs:

- interval (2 miles warm up, 4 X 0.25 miles at 6' per mile with 0.25 miles at 10 per mile + one final 0.5 at 6' per mile + cool down)

- semi-tempo (2 miles warm (8'30) up 1.5 mile speeding up to 7 in progression, 1.5 miles at 7' and cool down).

- then 12 miles to test a slow mid-long run.

my HR is back to normal and my legs felt good. So I decided to put something more in this week: this morning I ran intervals for the first time on my local track in 2018:

5X800 mt. with 3'50-4' per Km as a target (between 3'04'' and 3'12'') . I ran 3'04, and 4 X 3'06 (when I was young, I use to be very precise running interval, maybe that is back at these low speeds... Smile )

I aim to run a longer tempo in one or two days and a long run with a fast finish during the weekend. My running club is taking part in a 10K/HM race on the 20th of June, and, if everything goes well, I am tempted to try the HM (10K is too fast for now) to get the feeling of the 7' per mile (without any specific final time, but with a 8 to 10 miles at 7' goal and then assess...)

I will decide at the end of the week.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will try to respond to catch up over the next day, but just throwing out my week here now. My entire taper into the race plan was blown up by my weekend trip. I fully planned to get the runs in, but the area I was staying was WAY hillier than I had expected. I did my easy run on Saturday and was destroyed by the hills. I had to walk a few times, first time in probably a year that I've had to walk during an easy run.

I have a lot more respect for you guys that do hill work now because the "hills" of central park are nothing compared to these things I was trying to climb. I had nothing in my legs on Sunday, which led me to bail on my 3x1T workout. I'm also very sore in the hips from what I believe is the downhill part of the running? Anyway, not a good way to go into a race. I just hope the soreness heals up by race day Thursday, but I know that it won't be 100% even if it feels okay.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 12.0 7:45 MLR strava
              Tue 5.8 7:46 Evening Run strava
              Wed 8.8 7:36 5x1K strava
              Thu 5.9 8:19 MAMILS apparently come out in force at 7 am in the park strava
              Sat 6.6 8:10 Morning Run strava
              Sun 4.1 8:11 Morning Run strava
                43.2 7:53  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Never heard of those gels before. These tights don't have pockets, so I'd likely either have to pin them to the waistband or get some sort of waist pack. It's difficult to find one that's essentially "just" for gels, rather than having a massive pocket for a phone that I won't carry. Nice week.

Mark - Nice week as well.

JMac - "DD" is "Dear Daughter" followed by birth order. Botswana (or Botulism, or most any "B" word/name) is code for that certain Patriot's Day race. Legend has it that if you say the name of that race you're DOOMED.

Mick - My L7 has been very solid - not a hint of an issue, but it's a sample of 1. Most treadmills these days have a longer running surface than mine does (I'm about 6' 2"), but I have had zero issues with it feeling crowded, even when doing R-paced work at ~5:30/mi / 3:25/km. Again a sample of one, but a longer (and more expensive) running surface wouldn't really benefit me. I view width as being similar. It's a "nice to have" but in terms of core functionality isn't necessary and adds cost if you don't have a true need for it.
                In general, heavier is better for a treadmill. I think mine is probably ~350 pounds. It creates a more stable running surface, and there's more weight across which to distribute the force of you landing. If you can accomodate it, I'd recommend against folding treadmills. As a general rule they are going to be less stable (frequently weigh less to help with moving it around) and it introduces moving parts that don't have to be there (possible stuff to break).

When looking at them definitely make sure the elevation function moves all the way up/down smoothly and that the belt/motor seem to accelerate/decelerate smoothly all the way from the lowest "on" setting to the peak speed. Run your hands on both sides of the belt to make sure there is no fraying, etc. Test these at first without actually getting on the belt. ANY whining/grinding sounds during this should be a red flag. If those check out, run on it for a mile or two, vary the speed/incline and make sure it feels good and doesn't shake too much for your liking (lighter ones will shake more than heavier ones). When you find one you like try finding out how to get into the diagnostic and/or reporting screens. I figured this our for my L7 and was able to run a self-diagnostic scan (all checked out, which was a big relief) and I was able to find out how many miles and hours were on the thing. When I saw that it had less than 1,000 miles and the hours on the engine averaged out to about a 12 min/mi pace I had to have it!

I highly recommend Stryd for treadmill running as what's reported as a given pace by a treadmill may or may not be close to correct and it can even vary from one to another of the same model. Any watch is going to be off since it has fewer accelerometers, and if you ever look at your watch (and stop swinging your arm) it'll think you've stopped running as well. No such issues with a footpod. Plus, you can only use Zwift with a footpod (like Stryd) that broadcasts via BLE, so using a watch for it is a no-go since they only do ANT+ if they broadcast anything at all.

There was a pretty decent "what to look for" treadmill buying guide on the now-defunct ROWL forums. Maybe I can find it in a cached version.

Zero consistency from me this past week. Today is day #4 without a run (so far, I might get in a short run later). This weekend was really busy, lots of real life starting earlier than normal and later nights, so I prioritized some sleep over running. That ends tomorrow morning for sure!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Hi guys, sorry for the absence the last couple of weeks. It's too hard to catch up and comment on everything here, but regarding the passing of Dick Quax I find it interesting that both NZ and Finland had some real world class distance runners back then (I know the Finns had some guys doing well into the early 80s at least), but that much after that.

And that Norwegian kid Jakob Ingebrigtsen is pretty amazing. 3:52 on the mile early season as a 17-year old! It will be really interesting to see what he can do later this year. I read that he was originally supposed to run the "B-heat" International mile in Eugene but then Nike (one of his sponsors) wanted him to run with the big boys in the Bowerman mile. Impressed by how he handled that and worked himself up from last in the field at 800m up to a 4th place at the end.

My consistency took a short hit when I went to Norway 2 weeks ago. Caught a bad cold that prevented me from running for a couple of days (which of course were scheduled as two running days), so I only ran two hilly 10-milers for the week for a total of 20 miles. Got back on track last week though and got up to my planned 45 miles. Whether it's all the travelling or after effects of the cold I had (that really only let go late last week), or something else, my last runs have really felt like a struggle. Heavy legs, no energy, and just a general blah feeling. Luckily I have no hard workouts coming up but I will have to keep an eye on this throughout the week to see how it progresses. Training logs for the last two weeks below.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, May 14, 2018 thru Sunday, May 20, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                  Thu 10.5 9:04 1:35 17. mai klassiker 151 (79%) 1285 strava
                  Sun 9.7 9:01 1:27 Byasenderen 146 (76%) 1355 strava
                    20.2 9:03 3:02     2640  

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, May 21, 2018 thru Sunday, May 27, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                  Mon 9.1 8:41 1:18 Afternoon Run 139 (72%) 751 strava
                  Wed 3.0 9:51 0:29 Evening Run 120 (63%) 127 strava
                  Thu 6.5 9:17 1:00 Lunch Reps 142 (74%) 105 strava
                  Fri 7.5 8:33 1:04 Afternoon Run 141 (73%) 134 strava
                  Sat 10.2 9:21 1:35 Afternoon Run 136 (71%) 398 strava
                  Sun 9.6 9:15 1:28 Evening Run 139 (72%) 676 strava
                    45.9 9:06 6:57     2191  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - Keep up the great consistency. Are you getting bored yet with no races in the future and just running about the same amount? Also, why don't you use the Strava app to upload your runs on here, I feel like you had a reason but I don't remember.

Cold - I had a cold this weekend too. What is going on, does the entire world have a cold right now, there are 4 of us on this board that had one!

Keen - You are far and away the mile leader YTD on this board, I think a few off days is a good idea.

Steve/Rob - Nice weeks

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

RIP Dick Quax.  The 70's did have quite a few elite African runners, so the NZers really did benefit from the African boycott.

Piwi - nice week and I hope your cold gets better soon.

Mark, JMac and Cfarr - good weeks,

My week was ok.  I felt really tired in the weekend, so decided to skip my Sunday MLR and essentially do a 8 day taper rather than 7 day.  My pace for intervals and tempo is still down.  Although last night one of my peaker workouts went pretty well pace wise.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 6.2 8:20 Evening Run strava
                      Tue 7.5 7:45 Evening Run - Incl. 10 * 400m intervals strava
                      Thu 8.7 7:37 Morning Run - tempo 4.0km-11.0km strava
                      Fri 7.6 7:50 Afternoon Run strava
                      Sat 7.5 7:43 Afternoon Run strava
                        37.5 7:49    

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Rune - good week too.

It seems that our volume is lower than previous years overall?  Very few 60+ miles have appeared, and most/all have been from Keen.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Keen: that was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much. Especially the maintenance/diagnostic screen - I would have never thought of this! Great idea!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Time off - I kind of agree, a couple extra days will probably do me good. Even with those I'm still well ahead of my mileage goal for the year. Maybe I'll drive into town for a group run with an LRS tonight just for something fun. Or do something less ordinary in the morning. Eh, I'll decide later.

Mick - Glad I can help. If you have any other questions let me know. I had done a bunch of research on buying treadmills (particularly used ones) and that was all the big things I could remember off the top of my head plus my experiences since getting mine. I tried to find the buying guide I went through before RWOL was nuked but haven't had any luck.
                            The maintenance/diagnostic info was the big thing that led me to buy mine. It was clearly old and was stuck in a back corner of the store. While the price was great and it felt good, I was really uncertain because of the age. Seeing that I had shoes with more miles on them pushed it over the edge for me.

I had to find an old user manual online for mine and sift through that to find how to access those screens, so that's where'd I'd start if you find one you like.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rune - good week too.

It seems that our volume is lower than previous years overall?  Very few 60+ miles have appeared, and most/all have been from Keen.

I think we only had bigger mileage at the end of last year because there were a few of us training for a marathon (you, me, Mark, etc.). That isn't the case this spring. I'll be upping the mileage as I go into marathon training though starting July 1. Looking to average 60+ for 15 weeks before tapering. I only averaged 45 miles for those 15 weeks last marathon, but I have to make up a serious YTD deficit in mileage this year compared to last.

runethechamp

I think we only had bigger mileage at the end of last year because there were a few of us training for a marathon (you, me, Mark, etc.). That isn't the case this spring. I'll be upping the mileage as I go into marathon training though starting July 1. Looking to average 60+ for 15 weeks before tapering. I only averaged 45 miles for those 15 weeks last marathon, but I have to make up a serious YTD deficit in mileage this year compared to last.

So which 2Q program did you follow last year? 40-55 or 55-70 mpw? Since I plan to max out at 50 I'm sticking with the 40-55 program this time around.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it