Humble runner seeking advice from those much wiser than she.... (Read 558 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, ran my 1/2 this last Sunday. I ran it 2 minutes slower than last year. Little background info-was little lower on mileage earlier this year, had achilles problem. Also have added in cross training (biking). Was not able to do speedwork (due to achilles) BUT I am running my next 1/2 June 7th. What can I do between now and then to get faster? My longest run previous to this last 1/2 was 15 miles. I swear if I hear run lots, mostly easy, I will scream! Seriously, what do I need to do to gain about 4 minutes? I just want to finish in 1:42 or under. Thanks ahead of time!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Prince of Fatness

Run lots, mostly easy. Go ahead, scream all you want. I'm not there so I won't hear you. OK. Seriously, there are many here wiser than me but I'll give it a shot. My suggestion is to try to get some consistent running in between now and then. Don't worry about about cramming some real tough workouts that take you too much time to recover from. If you have a need for speed do some strides and some tempos. But get out there often.

Not at it at all. 

chrimbler

Run lots....er...I mean...drop some acid before the race!
        Run like you stole it!

SMART Approach

On same miles you are at now you can improve because of time and also because of the quality work I will suggest. I don't think you should add miles and intensity at same time. I think right now your miles are ok but long term more miles will make you stronger. Here is what I suggest. 1. In your mid week longer run do 8-10 miles w/ 4 - 6 X 1 mile at current 1/2 marathon pace with 2 min rest between. Start with 4 and work your way toward 5-6 miles two weeks before next race. After these intervals run 3-5 X 200M fast w/ full recovery. Progress toward 5-6 as race comes. If this is a challenge even 3-4 miles are effective. 2. With your long runs, do one of the following if feeling good or mix it up. You might like one better than the other. I personally like B. for you right now but they all will be effective..... a. finish faster the last 2-3 miles - not all out but faster b. in middle of long run go 4-5 miles at a faster pace i.e. if long runs are now at 9:30 pace, do 4-5 miles at 8:30- 9:00 pace. Do 4 miles next 2 weeks and 5 the following 2 weeks. You don't need to go longer than 13 - 14 miles. c. Rotate 2 miles easy, 1 mile harder 3. Any other easy run mix in 4 - 8 quick striders throughout the run. Not an all out sprint but a nice fast speed w/ full recovery. Start w/ with 4 and progress toward 8 as race approaches. 4. Don't over taper. Last real long run should be 9 - 14 days before race. Taper only the week of race. Not doing a super long run on Sunday and cutting intensity the week of is just fine. Of course 2 days before take it easy. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

You probbly have time for maybe 8 or 9 workouts if you do 2 a week. Keep your mileage where it is, or even a tad higher and do 2 big runs a week. The example workouts Tchuck gave are great--personally I'm more a fan of #2a, the fast finish long run. And like he said, don't taper much at all. But 4 minutes off your HM in 5 weeks is kind of a prayer unless you really had a bad day on Sunday.

Runners run

3 not-so-secret secrets to getting faster for nearly every distance race is: 1) intervals (speed work) 2) tempo/threshold runs 3) long runs, but not necessarily slow long runs. Running long and slow all the time will only take you so far, and usually results in training you to race long and slow. If you want to run faster, you have to train faster. Painful? yes, Does it work, yes. Virtually all 'training" programs, whose purpose is to get you to set a PR (and not just finish) will incorporate intervals, tempo runs, and long runs. let's say you want to average 8 minute miles. You must be doing your some running at a pace faster than 8 min/mile. Intervals are a great way to get your legs used to running fast. Tempo runs are a great way to build your ability to hold an uncomfortable pace for a longer period of time. Here's how I like to approach my long runs. The first time I increase my distance, I just try to finish it without worry about pace. I don't intentionally run slow, but I don't sweat it if it's slower than expected. The next time, say 2 weeks later, if i run that distance again, I try to run faster. Not real hard, but not real easy either -- I'm still able to talk during these runs. Another trick I'm learning from some people I run with is doing pick ups, or fartlek towards the end of your long runs. It teaches your body to be able to run hard through the pain you'll experience towards the end of your races. good luck.

Giants Fan

Thanks everyone! Going to try and incorporate those workouts in. I do think Sunday was a crappy day. I think I went too slow at beginning, but I was running with a friend, having a good time. This time, its all out serious. wish me luck. I like pushing it a little in my long runs, definitely something I haven't done in the past.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz