Neck Pain (Read 843 times)

Hey guys... I recently started running again. I quit smoking about 2 weeks ago, and I've been doing well. I started out small (a little over a mile) for a week, and I'm very comfortable at 2 miles now. My lungs feel great, legs are doing wonderful, and I'm just feeling good. But one problem. Near the last 2/10's of my second mile, I get a pain my lower neck/traps area. I won't say its really a pain, but more of a stiffness I guess. Anyone have any suggestions? Confused
    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
    seeEricaRun

Awesome

I get this often when I run, and at every race. I have two theories on it: 1. Bad form: I tend to tense up my shoulders and neck a lot as I run. 2. Referred pain from the diaphragm - it could actually be a cramp. For me, I think it's actually the latter, since the pain goes away when I stop, and stretching it as I run doesn't change the way it feels.
        I get this often when I run, and at every race. I have two theories on it: 1. Bad form: I tend to tense up my shoulders and neck a lot as I run. 2. Referred pain from the diaphragm - it could actually be a cramp. For me, I think it's actually the latter, since the pain goes away when I stop, and stretching it as I run doesn't change the way it feels.
        Thanks for the reply ... I'm going to pay more attention to my posture when I run and see if it might be that! Thanks!
        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Partly tension, partly conditioning. I used to get the same thing after a couple of miles when I (re)started running last year. Now it only happens near the end of my long runs. Try and conciously drop your shoulders and arms for a little while (15-30 seconds, up to maybe a minute), shake them out, massage a little, take a few deep breaths. As you run more, more often, and longer distances your neck / shoulder muscles will get used to it. One day you'll notice you haven't noticed it in a while.
            Partly tension, partly conditioning. I used to get the same thing after a couple of miles when I (re)started running last year. Now it only happens near the end of my long runs. Try and conciously drop your shoulders and arms for a little while (15-30 seconds, up to maybe a minute), shake them out, massage a little, take a few deep breaths. As you run more, more often, and longer distances your neck / shoulder muscles will get used to it. One day you'll notice you haven't noticed it in a while.
            This sounds great. I haven't run since sunday, but I'm going after work today and I am going to give that a try! Thank you so much.
            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Bad form causes sore left shoulder for me. I'm trying right now to be more conscious of my posture because I shouldn't have just one sore shoulder after a 10-miler. (my mom thought I was nuts when I told her this)

TRUST THE PROCESS

quagga

A very good yoga stretch for tight neck/shoulders/trapezius: Threading the Needle http://www.yogabasics.com/asana/postures/threadneedle.html Be gentle with yourself.
                  Bad form causes sore left shoulder for me. I'm trying right now to be more conscious of my posture because I shouldn't have just one sore shoulder after a 10-miler. (my mom thought I was nuts when I told her this)
                  I've been paying close attention to this, and all that everyone is telling me, and it's been really helping! Thank you thank you.
                    A very good yoga stretch for tight neck/shoulders/trapezius: Threading the Needle http://www.yogabasics.com/asana/postures/threadneedle.html Be gentle with yourself.
                    Will give this a try for sure!