Does racing make anyone else sick? (Read 1198 times)

I don't think you are running that much harder in racing that some training (this is another matter...). I want to run harder; I try; that is just all I have in me. I suck...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You spent your honeymoon in Truro? Dear god....
      Nah, just one night (yeah, the tidal bore was the only thing of value there...and I was too ill to even appreciate it). About half of the trip was on Cape Breton. LOVE CB. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I was going to say: Two words, vitamin C. But I don't think C's a word. It's a descriptor differentiated different vitamins. I'm not sure what it is. Certainly not a gerund. So forget it. Here's what I say now: Why don't you get sick first and then it can only get better? It's a brilliant plan and avoids grammatical complications.
          I want to run harder; I try; that is just all I have in me. I suck...
          Soonergal: I did not mean that AT ALL! You train within yourself; you train systmatically and intelligently and you WILL improve. Whether you "suck" or not, as far as I'm concerned, has nothing to do with how fast or slow you run. Some fast people completely waste their "talent" and some slow guys chug along and go very far. I don't believe "that is all you have in you".
            SoonerGal......Keep at it.........and I hope you feel better soon....it is possible that you just caught something that day...and it simply hit you then??? By the way ---- I usually get sick right at the end of every race, when I finish and look at the clock for my race time...that would make any one sick.....I think I'm the one that sucks.......... Since Im running a 5 mile race on Sunday....Ill probably be really sick about 1:40pm (hope not at 2:00 PM) or so, as I come across the line..... Big grin Big grin Big grin As Nobby said, consistent training and peristence and you will definately get better..the biggest mistake some people make is to expect to get better too quickly...it all takes time.......Your doing great.... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

JimR

Nah, just one night (yeah, the tidal bore was the only thing of value there...and I was too ill to even appreciate it). About half of the trip was on Cape Breton. LOVE CB. Smile
              Ah. The flowerpot rocks in Alma (Hopewell Rocks) on the New Brunswick side are a cool sight. When the tide's out, you stroll around the pots and stick your head in the various caves and caverns, then the tide comes in and it all disappears. I'm actually from Cape Breton (Sydney).
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ah. The flowerpot rocks in Alma (Hopewell Rocks) on the New Brunswick side are a cool sight. When the tide's out, you stroll around the pots and stick your head in the various caves and caverns, then the tide comes in and it all disappears. I'm actually from Cape Breton (Sydney).
                I absolutely love that entire region of Canada. I'd be a happy girl if we could relocate there. Beautiful part of the world, for sure.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Sooner - I used to get that at the end of a run of a show (theater). I would get sick during the cast party. Every freaking time. Since it happened to you in college with finals and stuff my guess is you are having a stress reaction. I read up on it once years ago for my symptoms and I cant remember all the details but the anticipation and adrenaline leading up to an event may be holding an existing illness at bay and also weakening you and the minute the event is over you are wide open for the symptoms. In this current situation with 3 races in one month you may not be fully well before the next event and the adrenal spike causes things to go haywire again. You can be symptom free but still have a depressed immune system. Even though it seems (per Nobby Wink ) that you arent stressing that much harder during a race than training, the excitement is still probably pumping out that adrenalin. I would take some time off from racing - like at least a month to get fully better from whatever it is that is cycling through you. Running is fine, just lay off the adrenalin! Then try again. I cant remember the last time I had stress related illness...the bad news is I am now capable of getting sick BEFORE a big performance. Roll eyes The good news is , if it is stress related, as you race more and more it will probably affect you less. You will get the shot of adrenalin before the event, but the anticipatory adrenaline calms down a little. Plus I think as you get fitter your body handles varying levels of adrenalin better.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

I ran my first race on Oct. 25. I was fine during the race, but the minute it was over, my nose started running, I was sneezing like crazy, and I had a terrible cold. It lasted about four days, and then I was fine. I raced again November 8
                    I don't think 2 races so close together makes a pattern. You might want to mark your calendar with health note, so you can see a pattern later if there is one. I like to note it, so when I look back I know why I wasn't running much then. You probably caught a cold for first race, and running the 2nd race and made it rebound. Running the 2nd race so close maybe not a good call. Your 5K pace is almost the same as 10K...that should not be. I did something really dumb last Spring, but I like to repeat it because it is a good lesson for most. I got bronchitis and took 1.5 weeks off but my body didn't feel well at all but mentally I had taken enough time-off and I wanted to train so I ran slowly. I felt better after running so doc said I could keep running. It was a nightmare of a month because I just kept pushing even though I knew I was not well. I ended up passing out in docs office, blood pressure was 75/30. Turns out I had low on potassium, low blood volume, and put in hospital with two cardiologists because my EKG was 'funny'. Boy if you ever want to renew your will to live be in ER when they roll the crash cart in. I had to go to Mayo Clinic and they did THOUSANDS of dollars of heart tests on me, confirmed I have a perfectly healthy heart and told me, "Don't run so much when you're sick. Drink LOTS of fluids. Add some extra salt to diet." All that to tell me the obvious. Wink Everyone in my family has a cold now, over one week and it is hanging on for dear life. It actually seemed better for a few days but now everybody is coughing, no fun. Try to remind myself patience is virtue and while I like a vacation at the hospital (TV & good food), paying the bill not so fun. Don't be afraid to run easy for even two three weeks. Only you can be the judge.

Bugs

I don't think 2 races so close together makes a pattern. Running the 2nd race so close maybe not a good call. Your 5K pace is almost the same as 10K...that should not be.
                      How much different should the paces be? On the 5K last weekend, I actually had to walk part of it because I went out too fast trying to stay with my husband Embarrassed However, I seem to only have one gear. I cannot figure out how to shift into overdrive. I was also going to tell you that I am reading the books you recommended. I love Marathon Woman. Thanks for the tip!

Bugs

How much different should the paces be? On the 5K last weekend, I actually had to walk part of it because I went out too fast trying to stay with my husband Embarrassed However, I seem to only have one gear. I cannot figure out how to shift into overdrive.
                        You could take your 10K and pop into McMillan calculator. Hym, maybe they are not as far off as I thought. (LOL, looks like I need to run my 10Ks faster.) Probably just more miles in your log will help. I really enjoy racing 5Ks, and go out pretty hard, but that strategy only works if you can convince your legs 3 miles is nothing compared to what they are use to.
                        I was also going to tell you that I am reading the books you recommended. I love Marathon Woman. Thanks for the tip!
                        Oh I am so glad. It's one of my favorites. I can't remember what else I recommended. Another good one is Duel in the Sun, if only I can get my book club to read running books. Smile

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Late to the thread. There is an entity in which hard exertion triggers an allergic reaction that can last for days. This is similar to exercise-induced asthma. The harder the exertion (e.g., such as with races), the more likely this problem. Try a hard track workout and see if it comes on. Treat it with allergy meds like benedryl or zyrtec. Very commin.
                            Late to the thread. There is an entity in which hard exertion triggers an allergic reaction that can last for days. This is similar to exercise-induced asthma. The harder the exertion (e.g., such as with races), the more likely this problem. Try a hard track workout and see if it comes on. Treat it with allergy meds like benedryl or zyrtec. Very commin.
                            Thanks--I will try the track workout test. I will make sure I have a box of Kleenex first, though! Benadryl has been helpful except it knocks me out. I am glad this is common. I had decided I was just allergic to running which would not be cool since it is one of the only ways I de-stress.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Zyrtec and claritin are less sedating. That is free advice from a liberal and a democrat. Wink
                                Zyrtec and claritin are less sedating. That is free advice from a liberal and a democrat. Wink
                                Are you a Texas fan too--because that might send it over the edge Big grin