One minute walk breaks ? (Read 1760 times)

The other problem if you are running the race by yourself, which I usually am, it's difficult to consciously tell yourself to start using the walk breaks while everyone else around you is running. I ran a 1/2 marathon at Warner Robins AFB a couple years ago and some guy actually patted me on my back when I started my walk breaks in the first mile and said "Don't worry guy, you can make it". Make a long story short I passed him shortly thereafter and finished in 1:47. In that race I did cut out the walk breaks at mile 11 and ran the race the rest of the way.
    That's a great story, I will keep that in mind.

- Anya

Eat, Play, Run

I am glad for this thread. I'm seriously thinking about doing run/walk in my upcoming marathon. I'm just not sure I'm prepared to handle the distance without planned, early, and regular walk breaks. I'm pretty sure I'd end up taking walk breaks toward the end anyway and feeling miserable.

Member Since 2008

Ok, I tried this today on my last 20 miler before my marathon. On my previous 20 miler, I completed it in 3:30 and it was miserable. Today, I ran five minutes and walked one minute and completed it in 3:15. I dont feel to bad, I just feel like I cheated. Now I am left with a dilemma, which way should I run during the marathon? I have to ask myself, What would Pre do?
          Ok, I tried this today on my last 20 miler before my marathon. On my previous 20 miler, I completed it in 3:30 and it was miserable. Today, I ran five minutes and walked one minute and completed it in 3:15. I dont feel to bad, I just feel like I cheated. Now I am left with a dilemma, which way should I run during the marathon? I have to ask myself, What would Pre do?
          Come to the dark side...

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Come to the dark side...
              +2 --- Yep -- seems like pretty easy decision to me..... Anya - I see by looking at your log that your made it for 10 today........HOW DID IT WORK????? Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

One more time Pre -- lets think about this for a minute ==== ran without walks and completed 20 miles in 3:30 and it was miserable.... Ran five min and walked one minute -- completed 20 miles in 3;15 and feel OK...... Pre --- You didn't cheat.......you ran smart... Hmmmm Geeezzzzzz -- I wonder what you should do in your marathon.....Hmmmmmmmmmm I got it -- run it as fast as you can----so if you can hit 20 in 3:15 and feel Ok....I personally would use that strategy... Shocked... But of course, thats just me.... I think you'll have a good marathon.....cant wait to read your race report.... Big grin Wink Big grin

Member Since 2008

John, your probably right.
                    I managed to do just shy of 11 miles, doing the walk breaks. Everything went perfect. Until the last quarter mile, when my IT band starated barking. Can you believe that???? And wouldn't ya know, when I tried to do an slow, easy, 2 mile recovery run yesterday, my IT band is gone totally. I can't beleive it. It's been years since I've had this problem. it happens whenever I try to add mileage. I am sick to my stomach and and realize now, I will never be able to do any real long distances. I thought I was doing everything right. I am so mad, you have no idea.

- Anya

I managed to do just shy of 11 miles, doing the walk breaks. Everything went perfect. Until the last quarter mile, when my IT band starated barking. it happens whenever I try to add mileage. I will never be able to do any real long distances.
                      Anya - I have been hurt so many times, that I can definitely understand how you feel. I'm not an expert int he IT Band area tho and recommend you open up another string asking about it-- I'll bet you'll get some good advice. As far as the 11 -- GOOD JOB -- your making progress and that's a good thing. My guess is that you ought to slowly increase your base mileage (even as little as 2 miles per week per month or something like that) so that your body has more time to adjust to the increased miles. It takes me longer to adjust to new mileage and came to the realization that I still cant run 40 MPW cause I've been too tired, sore and sluggish the last few weeks, so I'm going back to 30 MPW and build more slowly from there ---- I'm sure you can get your mileage up there and run longer distances ---- but it can be a longer and slower process for some people (I'm definitely included in that group)... Open another string in the health section (forgot what its called) and see what you get for advice on the IT Band....... I still think you can do it...Big grin

Anya - I have been hurt so many times, that I can definitely understand how you feel. I'm not an expert int he IT Band area tho and recommend you open up another string asking about it-- I'll bet you'll get some good advice. As far as the 11 -- GOOD JOB -- your making progress and that's a good thing. My guess is that you ought to slowly increase your base mileage (even as little as 2 miles per week per month or something like that) so that your body has more time to adjust to the increased miles. It takes me longer to adjust to new mileage and came to the realization that I still cant run 40 MPW cause I've been too tired, sore and sluggish the last few weeks, so I'm going back to 30 MPW and build more slowly from there ---- I'm sure you can get your mileage up there and run longer distances ---- but it can be a longer and slower process for some people (I'm definitely included in that group)... Open another string in the health section (forgot what its called) and see what you get for advice on the IT Band....... I still think you can do it...Big grin
                        Thanks John, And I've been through it before. I guess, I , like you, need to work on my mileage slower. I'm going to do everything I can to overcome it. But, I doubt I'll make the half. Right now, I just want to be able to run *period* But, ya, I'll post a thread about it.

- Anya

You've got a lot to think about, and your number one priority should be running injury-free. Oddly enough, that's how I found Galloway's method. I had a number of false starts due to the ever-popular "too much too soon" syndrome, then tripped across a "run injury-free" banner ad that brought me to one of his sites. Completing a half marathon was a huge milestone for me, and I have to believe the same holds true for most. I think you've already registered? If that is the case, I don't see any reason to make the go/no go call yet. Maybe try to train for it with the goal of staying healthy and getting to the starting line in one piece, and bail out at any point that injury becomes a major concern? In your case, I think less might be more. Galloway's "to finish" HM plan, like his marathon plan has you running beyond the race distance. But he also has a 12.5 miler four weeks before the race. So if we use the 12.5 run as your actual race, you could be on schedule by actually backing off your weekly mileage and healing up. Note this plan does NOT run long every week, it's every other. And the long run IS the plan for all intents and purposes, whether it is his minimal "to finish" or a time goal plan. Also worthy of note is the day OFF after your long run, the recovery run can wait a day. I'm not as much of a slave to the schedule these days, but when I was in your position I followed it exactly. This is just an idea for a workaround, If you really think it's not a good idea to run the race then don't. But wouldn't it be nice to have your first half behind you, having achieved the goals of finishing, staying injury-free, and enjoying the company of other runners on a nice easy-paced long run?

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You've got a lot to think about, and your number one priority should be running injury-free. Oddly enough, that's how I found Galloway's method. I had a number of false starts due to the ever-popular "too much too soon" syndrome, then tripped across a "run injury-free" banner ad that brought me to one of his sites. Completing a half marathon was a huge milestone for me, and I have to believe the same holds true for most. I think you've already registered? If that is the case, I don't see any reason to make the go/no go call yet. Maybe try to train for it with the goal of staying healthy and getting to the starting line in one piece, and bail out at any point that injury becomes a major concern? In your case, I think less might be more. Galloway's "to finish" HM plan, like his marathon plan has you running beyond the race distance. But he also has a 12.5 miler four weeks before the race. So if we use the 12.5 run as your actual race, you could be on schedule by actually backing off your weekly mileage and healing up. Note this plan does NOT run long every week, it's every other. And the long run IS the plan for all intents and purposes, whether it is his minimal "to finish" or a time goal plan. Also worthy of note is the day OFF after your long run, the recovery run can wait a day. I'm not as much of a slave to the schedule these days, but when I was in your position I followed it exactly. This is just an idea for a workaround, If you really think it's not a good idea to run the race then don't. But wouldn't it be nice to have your first half behind you, having achieved the goals of finishing, staying injury-free, and enjoying the company of other runners on a nice easy-paced long run?
                            God, I wish I didn't try to run yesterday... And maybe I should have iced it Saturday, once I first felt it. It's so sad to think I actually thought I was so strong, and really thought I was gonna pull it off. Believe it or not, I did not enter the race yet. I am going to play it by ear, and start doing everything I can to work it out, and hope for the best. If there is anyway I can do it, I will. I wish I would have been doing the walk breaks earlier. I basically went from 8 miles, to 11 miles within 3 weeks. Too much, too soon. Thanks for the tips.

- Anya

God, I wish I didn't try to run yesterday
                              Dont be so hard on yourself -- trying is how you find out what you can do -- dont sweat it...your doing fine you just have to recover
                              It's so sad to think I actually thought I was so strong, and really thought I was gonna pull it off.
                              You are pulling it off ---- Your doing great -- we all go thru times when things don't work....its a building process - take your time and enjoy it -- you can DEFINATELY do it
                              Believe it or not, I did not enter the race yet. I am going to play it by ear, and start doing everything I can to work it out, and hope for the best.
                              Cool that you havent entered yet --for some reason I thought you did enter - but based on your current situation I would recommend you keep trying and if you can run great -- you can alwasy pay a couple of $ more and enter as a race day entry.....which in this case might be a good idea ---and you can wait until your more ready too -- you're in a big area, there must be lots of good races that you can enter - pretty much year around.
                              I wish I would have been doing the walk breaks earlier.
                              Hey - your doing them now........so look to the future and not tot he past..... You are doing OK -- just keep it up and make sure you dont get hurt.....

JimR

And wouldn't ya know, when I tried to do an slow, easy, 2 mile recovery run yesterday, my IT band is gone totally. I can't beleive it. It's been years since I've had this problem. it happens whenever I try to add mileage. I am sick to my stomach and and realize now, I will never be able to do any real long distances.
                                Ice it and stuff, trudge a little through it without putting additional strain on it. You'll find you can run a certain distance before it starts to hurt, and when it does...boy, does it hurt. Been there. Once it's getting better, strengthen and stretch it. Here's some great details on how in Running Times magazine. When I started having problems, I did a lot of the side leg lifts as seen on page 3 of that article and it really helped. It's important to strengthen the muscles that support the ITB as this is where most of the problems come from.