"Pink Slime" in 70% of U.S. Ground Beef (Read 1364 times)

Feeling the growl again

As a native of Washington, I can't rest easy until I mention that the pig-farmer serial killer was in British Columbia. Not that Washington doesn't have its own list of infamy...

There, I feel better.

I stand corrected.  A bunch of the victims were from prostitutes from Seattle, weren't they?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

The pig farm dude was Robert Pickton.  I think his victims were mostly Vancouver BC-area women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

I suspect, though cannot guarantee, that you are thinking of Gary Ridgway.  The "Green River Killer".  No pig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

We also had Bundy.  Yay!

Kalsarikännit

We also had Bundy.  Yay!

Lots of states had Bundy.  I still can't look at Mark Harmon without thinking of The Deliberate Stranger.  Super creepy.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

Why is it okay for the beef industry to market and not Zirnstein.

Looks more like pink slime than ground beef to me:

I'm sorry but every time I look at this I think that I am walking along the boardwalk and watching them make the salt water taffy.

That would be strawberry.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All I know is this: both elf slime and gnome slime are dangerous.

Patently dangerous.

Feeling the growl again

I'm sorry but every time I look at this I think that I am walking along the boardwalk and watching them make the salt water taffy.

That would be strawberry.

Any food that is extruded looks kinda nasty, doesn't it?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

All I know is this: both elf slime and gnome slime are dangerous.

Patently dangerous.

Do you possess this patent?

And what about orc cracklins?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Orc cracklins are yummy umame.

xor

I can eat orc because there's no p in it.

I can't say the same about kidneys.

(ok, I admit it.  That one is too weird even for me.)

Grandpa joke:

Q: Hey, do you know how to cook kidneys?

(uh... no grandpa...)

A: You boil the pee out of 'em.

I stand corrected.  A bunch of the victims were from prostitutes from Seattle, weren't they?

I don't know, maybe. It does seem like Washington has more than its fair share of serial killers.

This thread keeps getting ickier.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know, maybe. It does seem like Washington has more than its fair share of serial killers.

This thread keeps getting ickier.

The follow-up joke to this is just too dark to post.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

On the plus side, neither have been given growth hormones.

Deserved recognition.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

BeeRunB

I grew up raising cattle.  Neither we nor anyone else I know fed cattle materials originating from cattle.  I'm pretty sure that is illegal since the mad cow scare; I am positive it is illegal in Europe.  Our cattle were fed hay and corn silage, nothing nefarious.  I don't ever recall forcing cattle to eat anything either.  Like people on the couch with a bad of potato chips, put a cow in front of food and it will pretty much eat as much as it can.

Farming, in general, is subjected to a lot of misinformation and downright urban legends created by people who don't have any experience with it.  I especially liked the recent bit about PETA or whomever stopping McDonalds from buying from pork producers who keep sows in restrictive crates.  Apparently they are unaware that while a mother pig becomes very protective of her piglets after about a week, before that she has no issues with lying down on them and squashing them alive.  If there are other pigs around they will eat the piglets.  Raising pigs without crates seems awfully cruel to me, having actually participated in the process.  There was nothing worse than not getting a sow into a crate before she delivered and having to go into the pen and clean up the carnage.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a "varied" diet...beef you buy from cattle out West are termed "grassfed" and that really is all they eat.  Seems like every square inch of Montana (game refuges and all) is pastured.  Just once I'd like to hunt elk where I don't have to worry about stepping in cow pies.

The elk out west probably eat a bit greater variation in vegetation than the cattle but not much.  The deer in the midwest eat EXACTLY what the cattle do, corn, hay and soybeans.  I know because they cost us thousands of dollars per year and eat anything withing 30 yards of a woodline down to the dirt.  Deer/elk and produce a naturally leaner meat (they don't marble), but there is nothing natural about the amount of fat on a deer in the Grain Belt...way more than the species is supposed to have.  Of course since I control what goes in the meat grinder I trim off as much fat as I can and throw it away.

The most nefarious product I can remember feeding cattle is Lucky Charms.  Our cousins used to get the seconds of the marshmallows by the semi trailer full and they'd feed them to the cattle.

Great post, Spaniel.Cool

What's worse is the highest amount of pink slime is in the meat sold to schools for kids lunches.  Most fast food chains stopped the pink slime with the taco bell whistleblowing.   

Remind me of this the next time I gripe about HAVING to pack lunches every day (our school doesnt have a cafeteria...whew.)

Personally, I was happy with Taco Bell using TVP instead of real meat in their tacos. It's far healthier. I'm upset meat-lovers complained.

flatland mountaineer

Good info here http://www.meatmythcrushers.com/ from several US colleges and universities. The site I think was the brain child of Penn State Meat researcher the late Dr Chris Raines tragically killed in a car accident earlier this winter.

Great post Spaniel. Yes bone and blood meal has been banned in the US for decades I think, much longer than the latency period of any Mad Cow prions. Many western cattle end up finishing in feedlots in the western plains as it makes sense for several reasons, intersection of available grass cattle from western and Nebraska Sandhill range, close to all feedstuffs and dry mild climate that enhances performance.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III