What is optimum weekly milage and long run dist. for sub 19 min 5k? (Read 541 times)

over 9000!!!

Hi, Just finished my 4th marathon. now I am looking towards building a training plan for a speedy spring 5k (late april, early may). I have ran several 5ks but I have never trained properly for one and I would like to get serious about it this year. My 5k PR is 19:50 on about 12-15 mi weeks and 1 easy speedwork per week. I was just wondering for those who know what it takes: 1) what is the min/max weekly milage you would recommend for a sub 19min 5k? 2) what would be the min/max distance for a weekly long run? of course these number will vary based on a periodization approch to a 4 month training plan but what would a good average range be? here is my guess: 30mi/week (4 runs/week) 6mi, 7mi, 7mi, 10mi I think if i do this many miles for 4 months (no need to build up to the distance, only build up to quality speed) and consentrate on building my tempo and track workouts I could do a pretty fast 5k. How would you change this plan? thanks
      I will offer advice since I met this time last year after 8 months of running. I went back into my calender to see what I could find. 1) 40 miles per week minimum. There is no maximum! 2) 10-12 minimum long run, 16 max, but really there is no max either. (1:30-2:00 run) quote: How would you change this plan? 6 DAYS! no less than 5! Easy, Easy, Hard, Easy or off, Easy or off, Hard, Long (easy or hard) Ultimately run as many miles as you can handle. You might surprise yourself.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wing Zero, that's a nice PR, especially given that it was attained on only 12~15mi/week. If you follow pRED's advice, you will crush your PR and make it suffer.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Right on Hereford...

here is my guess: 30mi/week (4 runs/week) 6mi, 7mi, 7mi, 10mi I think if i do this many miles for 4 months (no need to build up to the distance, only build up to quality speed) and consentrate on building my tempo and track workouts I could do a pretty fast 5k. How would you change this plan? thanks
          If you can run 19:50 off of 12-15 mpw, then your plan above will most likely get you to sub-19. I wouldn't suggest anything too different from that, other than adding more miles eventually, and making sure you hit the key types of workouts.

SMART Approach

You will reach your goal with your plan if that is you main goal. 30 miles a week will do it. I like 6, 8, 5, 11 set up better giving two longer work outs. Definitely include quality in the 8 mile work out like CV reps (see below). The long run can be a quality work out if you do a fast finish or run at a slightly faster pace. If not, include some quality in the 6 mile run. First build the miles before adding the quality. Don't do both. http://peakrunningperformance.com/docs/Critical_Velocity.htm

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

over 9000!!!

thanks for all the replies i like ur ideas pred and tchuck