I'm committed.... (Read 1623 times)

Feeling the growl again

Awesome job. And you did most of it alone.
    It's easier in the marathon than other distances. However this is the one reason I'd run Chicago again if I were in really good shape....I HATE the crowd there, and especially the crowd at the start, but it is easier to run fast when you have people there to pull with.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Congrats, Spaniel!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Feeling the growl again

So here's the next question... Should I be committed again and sign up for Boston next year? I ran 2:37 there in 2001, race of a lifetime at that point, couldn't have gone faster. I ran 2:38 there in 2004, finished around 37th overall in 85+ degree heat. I'd like to go there and bust a nice PR in that phenominal atmosphere while I still can. Another child, a promotion....just a few more years I may not be able to PR again if I want to. Years ago I set lifetime PR goals -- times that, if I ran, I would be happy with if I never ran faster over the distance. 15:00 5K, 31:00 10K, 1:09 HM, 2:25 marathon. I got the 10K but that's it despite being in shape at one point or another to get them all. It'd sure be nice to get or get close to that 2:25 mark. It's not worth the trip or expense to go there to run another 2:30+ race though, it would be go big or stay home.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hannibal Granite

So here's the next question... Should I be committed again and sign up for Boston next year? I ran 2:37 there in 2001, race of a lifetime at that point, couldn't have gone faster. I ran 2:38 there in 2004, finished around 37th overall in 85+ degree heat. I'd like to go there and bust a nice PR in that phenominal atmosphere while I still can. Another child, a promotion....just a few more years I may not be able to PR again if I want to. Years ago I set lifetime PR goals -- times that, if I ran, I would be happy with if I never ran faster over the distance. 15:00 5K, 31:00 10K, 1:09 HM, 2:25 marathon. I got the 10K but that's it despite being in shape at one point or another to get them all. It'd sure be nice to get or get close to that 2:25 mark. It's not worth the trip or expense to go there to run another 2:30+ race though, it would be go big or stay home.
          Are you thinking boston just because it is Boston? I did it in 2001 as well (in a time I'd rather forget), but I didn't find the atmosphere any better than any other big-time marathon and I didn't like having to be bused to the start several hours before the start of the race. Both the Country Music (Nashville) and Kentucky Derby (Louisville) marathons are the following weekend and would be closer i.e. less expensive to travel to. The CMM is more competitive and has a faster course, but if you have a really good day in Louisville you would probably be the only person to ever win both Louisville marathons.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Feeling the growl again

Are you thinking boston just because it is Boston? I did it in 2001 as well (in a time I'd rather forget), but I didn't find the atmosphere any better than any other big-time marathon and I didn't like having to be bused to the start several hours before the start of the race. Both the Country Music (Nashville) and Kentucky Derby (Louisville) marathons are the following weekend and would be closer i.e. less expensive to travel to. The CMM is more competitive and has a faster course, but if you have a really good day in Louisville you would probably be the only person to ever win both Louisville marathons.
            Personally I had a really good time (excepting the heat factor of 2004) both times I ran it. I found the logistics easier than Chicago (I stay with locals both places but everything is closer in Boston). If I were to travel as far as Nashville I would be more inclined to go back to Bayshore in Traverse City, MI (about 90min further away but with faster course).

spaniel/Andy --- If memory serves, you were recently considering refocusing on duathlons. I feel that the perfect race format has just presented itself, however, as you are possessed of all requisite items Wink : 1) Offspring --- Check 2) Running Stroller --- Check 3) Serious Engine --- Check You would shake the stroller-running world Wink : http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=14630 In all seriousness, congrats on the race! All the best ---
                Don't go to Boston, it's too unpredictable if you feel this might be one of your last chances to run fast.

Feeling the growl again

Don't go to Boston, it's too unpredictable if you feel this might be one of your last chances to run fast.
                  That part is true and I'm taking it into consideration. Between that and airfare (it would be a 3rd trip in 2 months next year, ouch) I'm leaning towards Bayshore. I could use the Indy Mini as my tune-up for that one. I'll decide within a couple weeks.

Feeling the growl again

spaniel/Andy --- If memory serves, you were recently considering refocusing on duathlons. I feel that the perfect race format has just presented itself, however, as you are possessed of all requisite items Wink : 1) Offspring --- Check 2) Running Stroller --- Check 3) Serious Engine --- Check You would shake the stroller-running world Wink : http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=14630 In all seriousness, congrats on the race! All the best ---
                    I'd need to fix the pull to the right in my stroller I think.... I don't think my daughter would have fun for that long in the stroller, I'm happy when she makes it 8 miles!

I don't think my daughter would have fun for that long in the stroller, I'm happy when she makes it 8 miles!
                      Extra points for pushing a full-grown volunteer? On second thought...