Transitions from Music (Read 768 times)

I have been on the mill for a while and, per the advice of many of you, I plan to hit the asphalt tomorrow for my LR. I've been using (pretty intense) music to keep me pumped, but I am hoping to transition away from it to either a) something informative (audiobooks/podcasts/lectures) and/or b) nothing but the sounds of the park. For those of you who have transitioned away from music, how has it worked out for you? Did you find going back to music was a better option? Does anyone find specific audiobooks/podcasts/lectures or genres of these particularly conducive to running?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Are we there yet?

For those of you who have transitioned away from music, how has it worked out for you?
      I cannot believe that I am a runner that is unplugged today. I could not fathom running without headphones no less 4 months ago. The last race I used them was on a 10 mile race Spencer Mountain here in NC and I remember running the first mile way too fast 6:00, because a) the upbeat dancehall reggae was telling me to go faster and b) I couldnt hear myself breathe, let alone think. Upon reading the requirements for marathons as I was preparing in the last few months I realized that headphones were prohibited and.. man, am I glad they were because I would have missed out on some pretty cool converdations on the course with some really great folks as well as the peace and serenity I had come to find. Like anyhting it takes some getting used to but now I cannot see myself running any other way. Change always feels different but it will help you listen to your body.

an amazing likeness

I quit cold-turkey from any music most of my long runs. I may wear ipod or radio at most every now, and usually when its dark and I'm grinding some weekly mid-distance miles. For me, it has been a mostly positive change -- I didn't use the tunes as a motivator previously, so I just transitioned to listening to my foot falls, my breathing and snotting, the traffic coming, the leaves in fall, and the world around me. That, and the voices in my head...the music did quell the "harsh inner critic's" screams for pace...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I second the first two responses, for reasons both of safety and enjoyment. Tune in to your environment and the run becomes more special.
            I used to fear running outside without music until I tried it a few times. I still take my Ipod most every time just because I can, but every now and then I run without it just to change things up or if I'm out of town and the battery is dead or something, and I find that you don't miss it like you think you would. Not really much at all. I do think that it helps me on the treadmill, especially when I'm in a hotel "fitness center" and don't feel like dealing with the TV. On the treadmill at home I can watch Netflix Instant, Hulu, etc.
            C.J

RunningKidCJ

Although running to music is sometimes good. I believe that it is way better without. I once saw a couple running together, and they BOTH were listening to music on an ipod. Now i thought that the reason you run with someone is so that you can talk to eachother. Imagine the conversation after the run... "how was your music in the run?'' "yeah alrite but i think i need a new playlist. What about yours?" "Oh mine was great" Roll eyes
                For those of you who have transitioned away from music, how has it worked out for you?
                I'm about to find out how it is to go cold turkey without music. I normally listen to (radio) music on my runs, and I found out a week ago that they are not allowed on my next marathon (in 1 week's time). I think I can survive - and for a race I expect it will be good.

Running - cheaper than therapy

I stopped listening to music because I kind of found myself running very inconsistently. I listen to hardcore/death metal and it can go from very fast to big breakdowns and then into a melodic synthesizer piece and it really screws with me. So usually I save the music for driving home from work in order to stay awake :P But I do listen to podcasts now! And before my ipod touch broke I was listening to books that I had to read for class. I listen to Lex and Terry because their podcast is ~3 1/2 hours long with no commercials or anything unlike their live show and it's really fun and gives me a chuckle once in a while that makes me laugh out loud.. even while running! Did cost $50/year to subscribe though. Good free ideas: Adam Carolla's show, Car Talk (by NPR, it's ~50 minutes long), the rest of mine are video game podcasts so I'm not sure if you'd be interested :P
                    I tried listening to an audiobook for the first time this weekend and hated it. I really prefer music. Usually when I'm coming up to a hill I'll shuffle through my songs for a good one to get me "up" the hill. the book was also a dud (Stephen Colbert, I am America) so maybe i'll try it again. I wouldn't mind cartalk.
                      I like podcasts of NPR shows like "This American Life". I also enjoy the podcast of Bill Mahr's "Real Time". Non-fiction audiobooks are good...not sure why I prefer non-fiction when running. Music sometimes particularly for short, high intensity runs. The sounds of silence a few times per week is a nice change of pace though.

RobW

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by ever greater things." ~ R. Rilke

jeffdonahue

I have been on the mill for a while and, per the advice of many of you, I plan to hit the asphalt tomorrow for my LR. I've been using (pretty intense) music to keep me pumped, but I am hoping to transition away from it to either a) something informative (audiobooks/podcasts/lectures) and/or b) nothing but the sounds of the park. For those of you who have transitioned away from music, how has it worked out for you? Did you find going back to music was a better option? Does anyone find specific audiobooks/podcasts/lectures or genres of these particularly conducive to running?
                        I almost always run with music when running alone. HOWEVER..... last year I went to a little 5K in Reading (run by our own Mikeymike of all people) and it was absolutely pouring out so I opted to not bring my ipod so it wouldnt get wet. Lo and behold I ran a PR and my first 5K under 20 mins to boot. I still run with music but that race showed me that I dont need to (because seriously I used to NOT run just because I forgot my ipod).
                          I listened to an audiobook today for the first time. My transition from music. It allowed me to keep a steady pace and not fluctuate my speed to the music currently playing.

Queen of 3rd Place

I quit cold turkey simply because it was inconvenient and seemed unnecessary - and sure 'nough, I didn't miss it at all. Give it a try and see. It's amazing how your surroundings, your mind, and your running will entertain you. Maybe not for everyone, that's ok, too. Arla

Ex runner

Thanks all for your input. I have been thinking about what you've written and not sure I am "up to the challenge" yet. Perhaps as I start to log more miles outdoors...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Roscoe

I've been running without music for a long time now, so it's hard to remember the transition, but I do highly recomend it, but it will probably take some time getting used to... I quit when I started running consistently outdoors, partly because I had a gps strapped to my arm and I didn't want something else to lug (this was back a ways when music devices were much bulkier than they are now...). I also did it for safety reasons, all that advice and reading about knowing whats going on in your enviornment finally kicked in - this I guess will impact you based on your gender (sort of) and time of day you run and where you run... One of the things that I like about not running with music is that my pace feels more consistent. When i'm travelling now and have to run on a treadmill, I feel the music, news, or whatever is on changes my inner cues, if you know what I mean....lastly, I love the peace and quiet of running outdoors, and am glad that I made the change! Good luck with whatever you do....