buying insoles separately - Really? (Read 3884 times)

I was getting my daughter a new pair of running shoes at a sporting goods store. I had just gotten myself a pair of  Brooks Adrenalin (which I love) so she was trying some on. The sales guy says the insoles that come with the shoes are minimal and like concrete. He suggested we buy cushioned insoles for an additional $20 and even cut down a pair so she could try them. My 'sales pitch' radar went off, we bought the shoes, but not the insoles. Is this just another sales pitch? Like when Dick's tried to get me to buy a warranty on my running shoes - do people really fall for this?

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like BS on both counts to me.  I have never bought a "shoe warranty" or insoles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Spencer Davis

How does this "show warranty" thing work?  I've heard that you can buy it and if the shoes rip or something you can get a new pair?  I would be interested because EVERY pair of asics I've ever owned rips somewhere before I'm done running in them.

I was getting my daughter a new pair of running shoes at a sporting goods store. I had just gotten myself a pair of  Brooks Adrenalin (which I love) so she was trying some on. The sales guy says the insoles that come with the shoes are minimal and like concrete. He suggested we buy cushioned insoles for an additional $20 and even cut down a pair so she could try them. My 'sales pitch' radar went off, we bought the shoes, but not the insoles. Is this just another sales pitch? Like when Dick's tried to get me to buy a warranty on my running shoes - do people really fall for this?

If the shoe is right in the first place, you SHOULD'T need any of those alterations.

I remember a year or so ago, to my criticism to some of the running store "strategies", I got criticised by a store owner down in Texas.  I'm sure SOME running stores try to do things right--though "right" thing may not mean much at any rate...--but many, if not most, just follow the manuals and, quite often, that actually hurts more runners than not.  If not, we'll still be selling all those stiff bulky shoes and there's NO reason for those stupid looking shoes with footprint on the bottom get so popular.  Why Nike Free?  Why did they even have to create shoes like that?  And why most shoe manufacturers today make very similar shoes or shoes with similar concept? 

You ask shoe store clerk why now they have those minimalist shoes and cushioned shoes and stability shoes and all of them in the same store; if they can't answer it, and answer it with conviction, I'd say walk out and find another store with clerks who can.

tylersmcc

If your not having any issues such as heel, arch, forefoot, ankle, or leg pain, then your probably fine and do not need any type of cushioned and/or orthotic arch support.  You may want to consider (obviously if your having issues) if you are doing long distances  and/or under strenuous conditions.  I would be more apt to say get a cushioned orthotic arch versus a cushion insole though.   

Sounds like your decision was the right one.   If you'd like additional thoughts, let me know.

Sincerely,

Tyler

TheInsoleStore.com

A Saucy Wench

How does this "show warranty" thing work?  I've heard that you can buy it and if the shoes rip or something you can get a new pair?  I would be interested because EVERY pair of asics I've ever owned rips somewhere before I'm done running in them.

I dont buy Asics anymore for that very reason.  My last pair developed a hole where the fabric meets the trim above the big toe in under 40 miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Why is it sideways?

I dont buy Asics anymore for that very reason.  My last pair developed a hole where the fabric meets the trim above the big toe in under 40 miles.

FWIW, if you sent them back to ASICS with a note explaining what happened, I am almost positive they would send you a new pair of shoes. No warranty required.

xor

I can confirm that Brooks would do this, and I know a mizuno rep who hooked me up with a new pair of cabrakans when one separated weirdly a couple runs after I bought them.

drrbradford

Maybe you should think about getting rid of the French pedicure I assume you have.

Toe box destroyers.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Maybe you should think about getting rid of the French pedicure I assume you have.

Toe box destroyers.

eew that's just disturbing. 

steph  

I've never bought separate cushioned insoles for my running shoes but I do know several people who swear by the Superfeet insoles.  These people tend to work for running specialty retailers or be closely aligned with people who do.

Runners run

keeponrunning

FWIW, if you sent them back to ASICS with a note explaining what happened, I am almost positive they would send you a new pair of shoes. No warranty required.

Anybody know if Saucony would do this for a stumble that caused a rip in my Hattoris?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

That's the very reason I stopped wearing Asics. Cheapened them up, but kept increasing the price. Shouldn't have to send a pair of shoes back to the company.

Made the switch to Mizuno. Love 'em.

Wore the green insoles the first several years of running. They seemed to extend the life of a pair of shoes another couple hundred miles. Haven't wore them in the last 5-6 years and haven't missed them any.

Get off my porch

If you bought your shoes from a "real running store", most likely they will take them back for credit.

if you bought them online, or from Dick's or something like that, you're probably out of luck.

Jeff