Is it Possible (Read 658 times)

walgreen

I would like to run in a 1/2 marathon at the end of October but my training for the most part is all going to take place over the next 28 days. I've run the distance in the past but not in the last year and a half due to injury and surgery and all summer long here in Fl I could not get over 3miles 3 times a week, but was able to do a 7.5 mile run in August. So far this month (Oct) I've  run 5 miles on Sat and 6 on Sun as the temps have gone from 80+ to 60-70 in the last 2 days. I can build up to a 10 miler within a I feel by mid month and just question is the half pushing to far especially at 62 yo. When I trained for the half in the past at this point in time I was doing 12 miles. My question is has anybody gone from 3 to 13+ in a months time.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I would like to run in a 1/2 marathon at the end of October but my training for the most part is all going to take place over the next 28 days. I've run the distance in the past but not in the last year and a half due to injury and surgery and all summer long here in Fl I could not get over 3miles 3 times a week, but was able to do a 7.5 mile run in August. So far this month (Oct) I've  run 5 miles on Sat and 6 on Sun as the temps have gone from 80+ to 60-70 in the last 2 days. I can build up to a 10 miler within a I feel by mid month and just question is the half pushing to far especially at 62 yo. When I trained for the half in the past at this point in time I was doing 12 miles. My question is has anybody gone from 3 to 13+ in a months time.

Is the goal to just finish? Add 1.5-  2  miles a week to you long run for  2 weeks. Hold at 10-11 and let the race be a long run for the month.Walk the hills. How many mpw?

PS:

When I trained for the half in the past at this point in time I was doing 12 miles.

12 miles a week or 12 mile long run?

I would not do the race with your current mileage.

Find a  late November/ December race.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sure its possible but I would not expect much.  As clay said you haven't gotten a base in and your long run is down.  If you are strong at 10 miles you could throw in another 3 and hang but you haven't gotten that far yet.

Also your risk of injury is much increased w/o the time to prep.  Finishing it without worrying about the time if you're OK with that would be a good goal.

walgreen

My goal is to run a 1/2 marathon and finish. At this time last year training for our local 1/2 I was doing my once a week long runs of 12 miles sometimes 13.5 and weekly total of 20-25. I know I would be ready for a Nov-Dec 1/2 its just that I have been trying to run our local 1/2 marathon for the last 2 years and for me its hard to build mileage in Fl during the summer even though I've done a couple 10 mile runs at 4am but I haven't been able to reach that distance this past summer. At 62 the summer heat has really slowed me down but now that we have 70's early morning I feel 50 all over again.

joescott

yes.  if your goal is just to run it and finish it you have already done enough to "fake it" through a half marathon, no problem.  lots of people your age run half marathons, lots of them probably quite undertrained, too.  I don't think your age is a consideration (unless you have other health issues you're not mentioning).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

walgreen

I'm not worried about the age factor as I have been running for 5 years now and have run the 1/2 marathon distance on more the one occasion but not within the last year and I have never been in a race. I am coming off a torn meniscus surgery in January that had me laid up for 7 months and I didn't resume running until June but as I said I could not increase mileage past 3 miles 3-4 times a week with one 7.5 mile run in August to make up for not being on the Cape the day of the Falmouth Road Race. All I can do is keep running until the day of the race and if everything is working show up and register and off I go. 

joescott

Cool.  I was only commenting about your age not being a factor based on your earlier comment where you seemed to be wondering if it was pushing "too far especially at 62 yo."  I say no!  BTW, I've been there with the knee surgeries, too, but it sounds like you're pretty much back in the saddle now.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

walgreen

Only time will tell. I went back and forth about having the surgery so we'll see if "snip snip and you'll be good as new" was the right choice.