Olympic Marathon (Read 1594 times)

Calling him a 2:08 and change guy is silly.
    It's not if it's your PB.
    On a hilly course, he split 1:02:45 for the second half marathon. The opening 5k of the trials was an easy jog.
    That's WHY he split 1:02:45 for the second half. Until you run faster than 2:08, you're a 2:08 guy. Period.
    In his career, he may run under Haile's record. Unfortunately, Wanjiru will probably run faster still.
    He's almost certainly not going to. The jump from 2:08 to 2:04 is huge. There are many who have debuted faster than 2:08, including at least three last year. Only three people have run under 2:05.
    obsessor

It's not if it's your PB. That's WHY he split 1:02:45 for the second half. Until you run faster than 2:08, you're a 2:08 guy. Period. He's almost certainly not going to. The jump from 2:08 to 2:04 is huge. There are many who have debuted faster than 2:08, including at least three last year. Only three people have run under 2:05.
      Hall's competed with the best in his debut, at a young age. You come off as contrarian - but it is only too true that the proof is in the pudding. We shall see what we shall see. Hall is a mere human, but so are the others. Put his performances in perspective, on the day, on those courses, with the competition, at his age... the potential there cannot be denied.
        Put his performances in perspective, on the day, on those courses, with the competition, at his age... the potential there cannot be denied.
        There's a lot of potential. I see this on LetsRun when people (Americans) talk about Alan Webb. There's a strange tendency to assume as a given that Webb and Hall will go on to make significant jumps in performance. For all you know, Hall might never break 2:10 again, or he might break Khannouchi's national record. You really can't go off anointing him as someone who can run under 2:04:26 just yet. That's a very, very weighty claim. Even Wanjiru was arrogant to talk about a marathon world record last December, and he has a world record already. Improvement in the marathon at a very high level is extremely difficult. Geb ran 26:22, but it took him forever to run 2:04. Felix Limo debuted at 2:06:42 five years ago, but has only made it to 2:06:14. Evans Rutto never beat his debut, and probably never will.
        obsessor

There's a lot of potential. I see this on LetsRun when people (Americans) talk about Alan Webb. There's a strange tendency to assume as a given that Webb and Hall will go on to make significant jumps in performance. For all you know, Hall might never break 2:10 again, or he might break Khannouchi's national record. You really can't go off anointing him as someone who can run under 2:04:26 just yet. That's a very, very weighty claim. Even Wanjiru was arrogant to talk about a marathon world record last December, and he has a world record already. Improvement in the marathon at a very high level is extremely difficult. Geb ran 26:22, but it took him forever to run 2:04. Felix Limo debuted at 2:06:42 five years ago, but has only made it to 2:06:14. Evans Rutto never beat his debut, and probably never will.
          people love to believe. They can say what they will. Only the results can speak. I make no claim or belief, but I see the potential. That's all.
          Mr R

Quote from Mr R on 4/10/2008 at 9:20 PM: Calling him a 2:08 and change guy is silly. It's not if it's your PB. On a hilly course, he split 1:02:45 for the second half marathon. The opening 5k of the trials was an easy jog. That's WHY he split 1:02:45 for the second half. Until you run faster than 2:08, you're a 2:08 guy. Period. In his career, he may run under Haile's record. Unfortunately, Wanjiru will probably run faster still. He's almost certainly not going to. The jump from 2:08 to 2:04 is huge. There are many who have debuted faster than 2:08, including at least three last year. Only three people have run under 2:05. Exactly: if it's YOUR PB. When talking about your own PBs, it doesn't matter if they were run backwards, up a mountain, with your wife sitting on your shoulders, it's still your PB. However, as fans, talking about the sport, we can and should qualify runners in more ways than PBs. My point is, there's no runner in the world better than Ryan who has only a 2:08 PB. Not even close. It's not accurate to talk about him dropping 4 minutes to surpass Haile's record, because he probably only needs to improve (as a runner) half that amount. Don't forget that he had never run a marathon 12 months ago. He's still a novice, with over a decade to improve. He's also running the event with the most potential for long term improvement. Note, that I did not say that Hall would run low 2:04s. I said he may. It's still the softest record in world distance running, because so few real attempts have been made at it by world beaters in their prime.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

My sentimental favourite, because he is South African and i grew up in Rhodesia, is Henrik Ramaala. He is from a hot country, though i doubt that alone will help him! In regards to overall medal count, I agree with the post saying China will win the most. I discussed this and other topics in a post in the "Off the beaten path" area, though it only drew one response, but I think they are going to use performance enhancers that WADA will not be able to detect, and I suspect they will set up a few middle rank Chinese athletes with no hope of getting medals as "fall guys" to get caught doping, in order to prove how well the system works. I may be too cynical, but I believe China has a huge stake in the success of their own athletes, not just the success of the games. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

kcam

So you don't think he will improve on that?
                Don't know but I personally think he will. But my point was that Adeel said that the two Chinese runners who ran 2:08 at Beijing last year were "nothing special", his words not mine. We know Hall, who's run 2:08 is something special so why aren't those Chinese? By the way the Chinese guy who came in second at that race was 19 years old at the time! Anyone think he won't improve? I agree pretty much with what people are saying here but that when a 19 year old runs a 2:08 and the Olympics are in his home country (which is fanatically Nationalistic, probably more than any other country in existance) I believe he's a threat to medal. The Chinese are motivated by national pride (and never mind that their athletes are all selected, trained and nurtured, ala the Soviets, at an early age in their sport) - they will win where they are not expected to.
                  Actually, I don't think Ryan Hall is that special in the sense that he's a likely medalist. If he was from Uzbekistan or Moldova, no one on this board would care or consider him to be anything special. Lots of people run 2:08 marathons, to the tune of maybe 30 a year. Yes, anything could happen, but a 2:08 runner medaling at a major championship is a surprise. This is evident from the fact that when a 2:08 runner won the world title last year, it was a surprise. You might want to argue that Ryan Hall is the most impressive 2:08 marathoner in the world (he's not, it's Luke Kibet), but that's not saying much. Yes, I'm contrarian. Americentricism really bugs me.
                  Mr R

Kibet is a very experienced marathoner who has just once managed to crack 2:09, and that was years ago. His win at WC was a shock, even considering the fact that the WC Marathon is a B-level race. Hall debuted faster than Kibet has ever run, finishing just 45 seconds behind the winner (indicative of the hot weather on the day). Definitive comparisons are tough to make, because Hall's resume is so short, but I doubt that Kibet will ever beat Hall.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

So when Hall runs <2:06> in London, what will y'all have to say for his chances of medaling then?</2:06>

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The Greatest of All Time

Yes, I'm contrarian. Americentricism really bugs me.
                        No, you're a realist. I already got beat up for being Captain Negativity. Big grin I would love for an American to medal, but I am not going to hold my breath. Should be fun to watch though.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          It definitely should be fun to watch. As it stands right now, I will be in Beijing August 23-24. I hope I can manage to catch the race at two points.
                          obsessor

It definitely should be fun to watch. As it stands right now, I will be in Beijing August 23-24. I hope I can manage to catch the race at two points.
                            Awesome. Yes, I suppose the nationalism in the U.S. is troubling to a Canuck. It's quite obnoxious. But shouldn't citizens be proud of their chosen host country? Americans are either idealistic, or they want to be, or they think they are. The olympics celebrate nationalism.
                              But shouldn't citizens be proud of their chosen host country? Americans are either idealistic, or they want to be, or they think they are. The olympics celebrate nationalism.
                              You're right that people should be proud of their country, but not to the point of ignoring the rest of the world. Americans suffer from an unfortunate myopia, which manifests itself in being unsure of where the Iraq and the Asian countries are on a globe or in being unsure of how anyone could possibly beat Alan Webb. Canadians have a problem with not being proud enough of our athletes and their accomplishments.

The Greatest of All Time

Americans suffer from an unfortunate myopia, which manifests itself in being unsure of where the Iraq and the Asian countries are on a globe or in being unsure of how anyone could possibly beat Alan Webb.
                                Spot on. Spot on.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.