Sunscreen Suprises (Read 942 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Apparently Coppertone is crap. report

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Good looking out. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I the only one who has never heard of any of those brands in the top 5? And here I just heard that Neutrogena made one of the best ones for blocking both UVA and UVB. I go for Coppertone Sport, since it seems to be the only one that is at all sweat/water-proof.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, you can't win.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, you can't win.
              Seriously. I don't wear sunscreen for running very often, since sweat in my eyes, alone, is blinding--I've had Coppertone Sport sweat into in my eyes in the past and it burned my eyes for hours. I don't count on it to stay on my skin well, though everyone says it's the best of the sweat-proof/water-proof products and a single application at a waterpark kept me from getting any "visible" color all day. Now I feel like I shouldn't bother spending the $$.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Haven't you heard? Sunscreen causes cancer!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

wanderingoutlaw

I guess I'll be wearing unsafe sunscreen today at the local lake Undecided I scrolled through the top 50 and the only 2 I had heard of were Walgreens and CVS brands.

John

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess I'll be wearing unsafe sunscreen today at the local lake Undecided I scrolled through the top 50 and the only 2 I had heard of were Walgreens and CVS brands.
                    That was my reaction, too...I just bought 2 bottles of Coppertone Sport on sale yesterday. So I won't have a tan, but I can still have my skin cancer and wrinkles. Joy. Confused

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, that sucks bigtime, though you have to take it with a grain of salt since it's the opinion of that one organization. One thing I'd disagree with is that Coppertone Sport (the spray on, anyway)does stay on you even when sweating profusely - that stuff's like plastic wrap in a can. Of course, the fumes are especially noxious, but that doesn't stop me from using it. Undecided
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that sucks bigtime, though you have to take it with a grain of salt since it's the opinion of that one organization. One thing I'd disagree with is that Coppertone Sport (the spray on, anyway)does stay on you even when sweating profusely - that stuff's like plastic wrap in a can. Of course, the fumes are especially noxious, but that doesn't stop me from using it. Undecided
                        Yeah, that stuff kept me from getting any color in the areas where I applied it while at a water park...for like 6 hours (and I know they are actually only supposed to be effective for 80-90 minutes or something to that effect). But from the sound of it I was only protected from UVB rays with the Coppertone. Poo.

~ Sarah Kay

I use Neutrogena Active, which I love - although it gets good marks in terms of effectiveness, it gets a very poor score on the health-hazard front. Yay.

De-slacking in progress

Yes its like glue- i bought it mainly so I can get my bald spot on the back of my head and on top of my thinning hair. This stuff is sticker than any hairspray and takes some work to wash out in the shower. I do like it because even sweating like a pig, it didn't run into my eyes and burn on my long run the other day

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

My dermatologist recently told me that big changes are coming for the American sunscreen industry. Apparently our sunblocks are inferior to products used in other countries, but the FDA has not approved those products yet. Supposedly the whole SPF rating thing inaccurately describes the protection a sunblock provides, and will be replaced with a better measurement. He recommends Blue Lizard sunscreen, an Australian product, which is only available on the internet. Or maybe this is just a story because he is getting kickbacks from Blue Lizard...

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

I go out at night. When I am out in the sun, I use an Italian sunblock which protects me from all the light bugs (UVA and UVB). Maybe you should change your attire...

Vim