Current vegetarians on RA? (Read 1360 times)

JakeKnight

Ugh. Your girlfriend was trying to follow the diet of her choice and you worked on her until she caved in to your desires?? What if she had been following weightwatchers or some other diet? Would you have worked on her until she cooked tons of fattening foods for you? Sorry, but that doesn't sound very respectful.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

quagga

I'll try! But can you see my point at all?
      JakeKnight

I'll try! But can you see my point at all?
        Of course. But I assumed she was mostly joking. Because she was. Thus, the classic ode to Sgt. Hulka. For the record, this thread has convinced me of only one thing: the main reason never to become a vegetarian is that it makes you very, very grumpy and oh so serious about everything. Again, see Sgt. Hulka. I'm backing out of the thread now. I know you people are ornery cuz you're hungry, and my thigh bone is probably looking good right now. Enjoy your veggies. I have to go club a seal. FYI: if you happen across the thread where we're discussing taking axes and machine guns to annoying people that block running paths by walking five across ... rest assured we don't really intend to shoot them. Mostly. But if we did shoot them, we'd recycle.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

For the record, this thread has convinced me of only one thing: the main reason never to become a vegetarian is that it makes you very, very grumpy and oh so serious about everything. Again, see Sgt. Hulka. I'm backing out of the thread now. I know you people are ornery cuz you're hungry, and my thigh bone is probably looking good right now. Enjoy your veggies. I have to go club a seal.
          Ahem. You owe me banana jokes. And emoticons.

Amy

Hi all. Mom of a 16 year old vegetarian runner. Thought I'd just jump in here to pick up ideas/recipes and maybe give some. Funny, the subject of raising kids as vegetarians came up today in the car with her. She is on the fence of whether or not she will raise her future kids vegetarians. I know its a little early but still makes for interesting conversation. Post some good protein ideas please. Trying to get her to eat more of them. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Bugs

No I'm not but I eat mostly vegetables, fruits, egg whites and low fat cheese. I can't imagaine giving up cheese or fish. I limit my animal meats the same reason I limit my enriched flour, is too that too much is not that healthy. I wished I like tofu, I tried once, maybe you have to prepare it just right? obsessor, I agree the processed factory meat tastes much different. The difference is very drastic. I thought the difference was feed lot animals eat more corn than grass, but who knows what else gets thrown in the grinder at the factory. I grew on on a farm where we raised Angus cattle, chickens and hogs. The animals were well taken care of, plenty of green grass and fresh water. I would even spray the cattle with cold water from a hose during the heat of the summer. The eggs were picked fresh everyday, each individually examined, washed and sold at the local grocery store. The chickens were not eating their beaks off like stated in the book "Skinny Bitch". The idea that the land could be could for other agriculture purposes is not true. Corn and wheat prices are an all time high, I know this because I own farm land that I rent out. Farmers want to make money, and if the land can be farmed it is. Pasture land is usually only good for cattle. I respect vegetarians but don't believe everything you read about the treatment the animals receive.

Bugs

obsessor

No I'm not but I eat mostly vegetables, fruits, egg whites and low fat cheese. I can't imagaine giving up cheese or fish. I limit my animal meats the same reason I limit my enriched flour, is too that too much is not that healthy. I wished I like tofu, I tried once, maybe you have to prepare it just right? obsessor, I agree the processed factory meat tastes much different. The difference is very drastic. I thought the difference was feed lot animals eat more corn than grass, but who knows what else gets thrown in the grinder at the factory. I grew on on a farm where we raised Angus cattle, chickens and hogs. The animals were well taken care of, plenty of green grass and fresh water. I would even spray the cattle with cold water from a hose during the heat of the summer. The eggs were picked fresh everyday, each individually examined, washed and sold at the local grocery store. The chickens were not eating their beaks off like stated in the book "Skinny Bitch". The idea that the land could be could for other agriculture purposes is not true. Corn and wheat prices are an all time high, I know this because I own farm land that I rent out. Farmers want to make money, and if the land can be farmed it is. Pasture land is usually only good for cattle. I respect vegetarians but don't believe everything you read about the treatment the animals receive.
                That's quite true, I think. Grass-fed or ranged cattle we've gotten whole from neighbors in the past is far, far superior to the quality of anything you get over-the-counter. And yes, range-land is almost always completely unsuitable for any row-crops. (all the rangeland I know of, that is.) Occasionally, it is good enough to be hayed, but that is not always the case either. And of course there is plenty of land that has a dual-use, where the livestock are out on the stubble. Re: The poster talking about humane slaughter. I guess I would take that to mean pain-free. Yes, it's possible. But then again, I do think meat-farming is somehow "less fair," - more cruel, less morally defensible...than hunting and predation. At least these animals have a chance to live their full life. Hmmm, on second thought, I guess again that most animals not killed end up dying of starvation, exposure, or other similarly cruel fates. Life is not kind. Or fair. oh - I actually like dried TVP on salad, just like that, yeah, really. And as far as tofu goes - do extra-firm in a stir fry: First stir fry it alone with a little salt and oil. Then set it aside. Add it back in at the end.

Bugs

obsessor, I would like to introduce an animal activist to my 17 year old horse. He has a bum leg and is in pain. Use to be old horses were sold for slaughter and made into glue. Glue your kids can use to make nice art projects. Now my only choices are letting him be in pain, haul him to Canada (too expensive), or dig a pit and shoot him. In this case it was the animal activist that is being inhumane. Maybe I'll try the tofu again.

Bugs

obsessor

obsessor, I would like to introduce an animal activist to my 17 year old horse. He has a bum leg and is in pain. Use to be old horses were sold for slaughter and made into glue. Glue your kids can use to make nice art projects. Now my only choices are letting him be in pain, haul him to Canada (too expensive), or dig a pit and shoot him. In this case it was the animal activist that is being inhumane. Maybe I'll try the tofu again.
                    ugh, you bring this up? Recently had to do the same. noooo fun. I think, bugs, this is a bad place to bring this up!