Pulled groin muscle (Read 74 times)

Concentrated Awesome

So I'm 99% sure I have a pulled groin muscle. Seems it came on from my 18 mile run the other day.

Any advice and/or remedies folks? I have a recovery week right now, but I still have runs I need to be doing. I'm currently training for Philly.

Thanks!

I pulled my groin @2 years ago and it took prolly 4-5 months to heal completely. It hurt like a MOFO and I thought something was seriously wrong. Anytime I tried to move an object like a door with my foot I would have a shooting pain in my groin, super intense. I could walk forward no problem, but try to turn to the right quickly and  it damn near brought me to my knees. I dint do anything special to try to fix this, it just takes time. The pain gradually went away. I hope yours isn't as bad as mine was, hope this helps.

I agree with The Man, though when I had a GROIN injury, it really only required a week or so of zero running with some easy cross-training and stretching until there was no more sharp pain. If you are hellbent on continuing to run, you will likely be waving adios to your marathon next month.

There are also ways you can wrap the injury when starting back, which is not only helpful but also super-attractive!

If it happened as a result of a sudden movement, like catching yourself on a slip, I'd worry. That type of pull could be a partial tear that hurts for a long time as manfromnantucket says. Otherwise, it might just be inflammation due to having just done an 18 mile long run. Take it easy and let pain be your guide. Try a recumbent stationary bike or an elliptical machine for the next few days, if you have access.

robin from maine

So I'm 99% sure I have a pulled groin muscle. Seems it came on from my 18 mile run the other day.

Any advice and/or remedies folks? I have a recovery week right now, but I still have runs I need to be doing. I'm currently training for Philly.

Thanks!

My advice from my experience, which may be totally different than yours

Forget the schedule, and listen to your body. You're much more apt to hurt yourself than help by trying to run when you shouldn't.

If you have a sharp pain as soon as you take a running step, stop.

If you do a short slow run and the pain is the same or worse at some point in the following 24 hours, back off.

Don't try to do a longer run until you have done a short run and are feeling better.

Maybe shouldn't run if feeling really really achy the day after getting a flu shot.

My injury happened after I lurched while rounding a corner during a long run (14 miles done, 8 miles to go). I didn't fall, didn't have pain at the time or during the remainder of the run. Several hours later I had a deep ache in the groin/anterior hip area. I took a day off, still had some aching and discomfort but not bad, and did normal runs the two following days without problems until a few hours after the second run (10 miles), and then the ache returned. For the next few weeks I ran less and less, with longer times off, but it took a month to be pain free during normal activities, and I missed my goal race. Going to try a short run today.

Concentrated Awesome

Thx for the responses gang.....

UPDATE: After taking time off to rest it wasn't getting any better, so I took my husband's advice and went to see the orthopedist.

Initial diagnosis? Stress fracture or a Labrum tear. Joy.

I won't know for sure until I have an MRI done next week.

Sigh- my first marathon may be put on hold till next year....