Random RA ads (Read 1867 times)

xor

Sure...but wouldn't it make sense to put up an ad for a similar retailer that I may not be aware of?  I find that I click those out of curiosity.  I have no curiosity about Sierra Trading Post or Backcountry.com, since those are often the first places I check when I'm looking for new wool socks or baselayer items or a Winter coat or whatnot.  I rarely click an ad for a retailer that I regularly patronize, already. 

Well, they are going to present you with ads for companies that have paid them the most money to have their ads presented to you.

I don't think the ad logic is based on showing you obscure companies, unless those companies are the ones that have paid to do that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, they are going to present you with ads for companies that have paid them the most money to have their ads presented to you.

I don't think the ad logic is based on showing you obscure companies, unless those companies are the ones that have paid to do that.

Sure...but the obscure ones I'm seeing are for things I have 0 interest in (like the ATV company that I've never heard of).  Perhaps some of the obscure companies are stating that Google can imprint their ads to anyone, regardless of demographic...though that seems like a waste of their ad budget.  Though if I'm not clicking, then I guess they're not paying.  But it makes their clicks/imprint look sorta poor.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Ok, well I was just responding to the idea that they should show you an ad for a "similar retailer that (you) may not be aware of."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

BTW, you can buy your .xxx domains now.  Get 'em while they're hot!

(No, I didn't see an ad for that on RA.  I'm kind of out of it, having the ads turned off.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, you can buy your .xxx domains now.  Get 'em while they're hot!

Their TV ads are...bizarre.

~ Sarah Kay

MrH

Sure...but wouldn't it make sense to put up an ad for a similar retailer that I may not be aware of?  I find that I click those out of curiosity.  I have no curiosity about Sierra Trading Post or Backcountry.com, since those are often the first places I check when I'm looking for new wool socks or baselayer items or a Winter coat or whatnot.  I rarely click an ad for a retailer that I regularly patronize, already. 

The ads are being placed by Google because they are paid to by the people you already visited. I don't think a retailer would be happy if Google generated ads based on someone else's cookie. That would be a dreadful infringement of their privacy, or something.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The ads are being placed by Google because they are paid to by the people you already visited. I don't think a retailer would be happy if Google generated ads based on someone else's cookie. That would be a dreadful infringement of their privacy, or something.

Ahhh...I suppose.  I guess passive ads triggered by cookies work a lot differently than search engine text ads triggered by a keyword search.  I'm still really surprised at how un-targeted some of the ads are (not just on RA, but this is where I notice them most.  I could turn them off, but I find it sort of oddly fascinating to see what each page load will reveal).

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was amused (maybe I should have been insulted) when I was exchanging emails with my brass ensemble, and Google put up ads for scrap metal dealers.

Menace to Sobriety

I just got one for a law firm specializing in faulty hip replacement lawsuits.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just got one for a law firm specializing in faulty hip replacement lawsuits.

Do they know something you don't?  Perhaps you should be extra careful running off-road or on ice. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Or maybe you ARE!

I got an ad for Philipino singles.  I'm not Philipino so I have no idea why they would've shown me that.  

OK, I'm not single either.  More evidence.

+1

What's up with that?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just saw an ad for a neti pot...and I've been using mine a lot the past week for a cold.  Google is spying on me!!! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maternity.com?!  Bwahahahaha...it would take an act of god for me to be knocked-up, at this point! Tongue The baby factory has been burned-out and the doors were sealed shut.

~ Sarah Kay

I was amused (maybe I should have been insulted) when I was exchanging emails with my brass ensemble, and Google put up ads for scrap metal dealers.

(A slight thread detour)  That's not scrap metal, that's my Eb tuba. Went out Wednesday with brass quartet- tuba, euphonium, trombone and horn playing my arrangements of Christmas carols-great fun and we even got a few free beers. Ho, ho, ho.

Maternity.com?!  Bwahahahaha...it would take an act of god for me to be knocked-up, at this point! Tongue The baby factory has been burned-out and the doors were sealed shut.

Doors sealed shut? I don't think I'm thinking of the same doors.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it