Conundrum: flatish-footed, slight supinator...? (Read 38 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2.5 weeks ago I rolled my left ankle running on perfectly smooth, flat asphalt (same ankle I've sprained 2x in the past on trails).  Gave myself a solid grade 2 sprain and knocked myself out of all of my Fall races. 

While reading various things about sprains, recovery, and avoidance PT stuff I happened to catch something suggesting that supinators are more prone to ankle rolls, which does make sense.  But I'm not a supinator.  Since I started running 10.5 years ago I've been a very mild overpronator (or so I had been in the past, confirmed by shoe wear) and have been wearing neutral, flexible shoes for at least half of the years I've been running.

But I went and looked at my various shoes that I've kicked-around in for the past year and noticed that I have no wear medially and slight wear on the lateral 1/3 of my shoes, with heaviest wear still mostly centered.  Huh.

Also, my feet are on the flat, wide side of things.  But if I wear shoes with stiffer forefoot/midfoot areas I get bad crampy pains in my peroneal tendon area, where it attaches on the later side of my arches.  The shoes I was wearing when I rolled my ankle (Nike LunarTempo) are the highest drop and least minimal of my shoes in current rotation (also have a Nike Free...5.0, I think, and NB Zante).  They also have a slightly narrower sole in the heel area of the shoe.

Does anyone else in RA-land deal with this?  Are there particular shoe models that have worked well for you?  I struggle to find shoes that aren't too curved and too narrow, so this just adds an extra degree of trickiness to the mix.  I'm paranoid to run in those LunarTempos again, too.  I'd only done 2 short runs in them before rolling my ankle.  I'd purchased them for something with a higher drop (8mm), since my calves have been talking a lot to me all Summer and I thought the higher drop might help relieve that.  Most shoes I've worn the past few years were 4-6mm drop.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

KillerB

Hi Zoom Zoom,

I've been running for over 30 years and have a lot of experience with foot problems. I'm extremely flat footed.  When I started running I took size 11 1/2, now a size thirteen. My arches have fallen even more. I've had torn ligaments in the foot.  I am a pronator.  I wear orthodics and have for almost 28 years and they help a lot.  You should search out a sports podiatrist.  Talk to experience runners, running clubs, and coaches. There are good and bad podiatrist. Find one who treats runners.   Next, I don't believe NIKE is the shoe for you. You probably need a stability shoe.  Good brands are Asics, Saucony  or Brooks.   Go to a reputable local running store with runners on the staff. Not a big chain store.  They can help you select the right shoe.  Some stores even have treadmills and analysis equipment to check out your foot placement and gait.  If your in New York City, try Super Runners.

Good luck,

Joe