Easy recovery run vs day off (Read 924 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

What criteria do you use when deciding between a short easy recovery run and a day of rest?
    mikeymike

Did I run a marathon within the last 5 days? Do I have time to run today?

Runners run

I'm not quite as strong as Mikey..... I normally schedule running days for Tue, Wed, Thru, Sat and Sun.....but if I feel good on Fri, I will often run that day, but usually (not always) take off on Monday. My criteria after a long run is simply how I feel. Occassionally, if I had a long run or did some 'fast' running, my body tells me I need a rest day and then i will take it... I also run various loops from my house and always start with a one miler that starts and ends at my house and then go on from there....some days when i really think I can/should run, after one mile I realize i needed a rest day and then stop..... Also - my log has a few holes right now because of a storm and issues that I had to deal with over the past couple of weeks......not planning any gaping holes in my training over the next year.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Slo

What criteria do you use when deciding between a short easy recovery run and a day of rest?
          Good Qx I'm sure you'll see lots of different responses. For me.......unless I have an actual injury, sick with a fever, or gettin busy with the wife Wink I will opt for the run. I have enough "Rest" days forced on me. IMHO a short easy recovery run is better than a Rest day. But that is going to vary from person to person.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I was feeling a bit beat up after Saturday's run this week - a rolling 14 miler at a decent pace with one whopper of a hill and a few medium ones. I ran 3 miles yesterday for a recovery. It was slow and the first half I kept thinking "Ugh, should be resting" but things loosened up for the second half of the run. This morning when I woke up, I felt pretty good. I think that if it's just my legs that feel beat up, a short run is the way to go. If it's the whole body run down beat up feeling, a day off might be a better option. I'm curious to see how others chime in.
            mikeymike

I think mental fatigue is probably a better reason to take a day completely off than physcial. I know a woman who's a really good marathoner, has run in the Oly trials, and she would take a day off per week even on a 90 mpw schedule just to have one day a week when she felt like a normal person. Other people have a harder time after a day off than if they never took a day off--I'm kinda like that. I always feel crappy the day after a total off day. But physically I think you're almost always better off running really easy than doing nothing. I think getting circulation to your muscles speeds recovery as long as you keep it short and really, really easy.

Runners run

Slo

Other people have a harder time after a day off than if they never took a day off--I'm kinda like that. I always feel crappy the day after a total off day. But physically I think you're almost always better off running really easy than doing nothing. I think getting circulation to your muscles speeds recovery as long as you keep it short and really, really easy.
                Exactly. I almost always feel sluggish after a complete day off. I also agree that an "active" recovery is better. Get the blood flowing to the muscles that need the nutrients.
                  For myself I have found if I take a day off, the next run I will take will just suck. I just can't seem to have a really high quality run the day after a day off. So.... I would prefer to run easy if possible.
                  milkbaby

It's a matter of choice for me. I used to run every day of the week, but I was basically an obligatory runner or addict at that point. Nowadays I like to take one day off a week just so I have one day free. Otherwise, when I take extra days off, it is a matter of time and priorities. I promised myself that running would never take away from important time with family and friends. So if I get a call from a friend to get together, and I haven't spent time with them recently, then I don't sweat skipping a run, even if it would be a "key workout". While running is important to me, it's not more important than the people I love. EDIT: While I still have legs, I can always have more time to run, but I will never know how much time is left with my family and friends. Very rarely I will just not feel like running, so I take it as a sign to just skip running that day.
                    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Why is it sideways?

I've had success both ways. In my first running career, as a college runner, I religiously took a day off. Now, as a runner in my 30's, I feel better going every day. The main difference between me now and me then is that now I run easier on my easy days and know how to take a recovery day. If you are truly taking it easy on easy days, in my mind, there is no training reason to take a day off. Of course there are always multiple other reasons, with which we are all too familiar.
                        you look like you are logging good weekly mileage ... indulge in a sleep day. Cool For me, I take a day off a week [before a long] -- more mental and make the DW happy that the 5:15 alarm doesn't wake her too ... I never used to run recoveries ... now I do. Result = more mileage; feel better; no injuries [which is wierd ... more mileage / days = less injuries for me.] But what do I know? I'm still a plebe.

2012= under-goaled

1) An injury threat that I feel will only respond to some time off. 2) Unexpected non-running event, usually work or family related. Generally I believe that easy recovery days are more of a preventive measure than cause of injuries. Also, I just plain race faster when I run every day. I've taken off 20 days in 2008 but have run doubles on 46.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33