Lets say we are "designed" to run... (Read 810 times)

I tend to believe that statement. There are many features to the human body that can only be explained as adaptations for the purpose of running. We are actually built quite well for this purpose. However why do we have no natural defense for chaffing? If we are meant to run for hours at a time you would think there would be a natural defense against chaffing.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We do have a natural defense against chafing. It is called nudity. Without running clothes (and, arguably, our unnatural diets providing us more chafable flesh), we would not chafe.
        We do have a natural defense against chafing. It is called nudity. Without running clothes (and, arguably, our unnatural diets providing us more chafable flesh), we would not chafe.
        hmm so far I have been okay on areas of my body that are clothed. hmmm maybe I just need to loose weight!
        xor

I don't get this. When I just wear skimpy running shorts, my thighs chafe like hell. When I wear the longer tight shorts underneath (roughly, bicycle shorts without the chamois kotex and without the built-in forward lean), I do not chafe EVER.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right, but I expect that if you were to run naked, you would not chafe at all. I'm not saying that all clothes make your chafe, or that there is a dose-dependent relationship. All I'm saying is that, while running may be natural, chafing results from the combination of clothes and running). Running is natural, clothes are not.
            xor

If chafing is a combination of clothes and running, then why is it that my main area of potential chafing is an area involving no clothing??? Yes, I realize that clothing is why my nipples chafe. And why my underarms chafe when I wear a singlet. But my most painful area is inner thigh... but too far towards the knees/feet to be caused by my shorts. 'Cause there are no shorts where I am chafing. It's two sticks rubbing together. Edited to add: I could have gone with the "three sticks" joke, but when the People Maker was handing out body attributes, methinks that was in the same room as "natural speed".

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Many of us have more flesh than we were designed/evolved to have. Which was the other point I madeBig grin
                xor

Many of us have more flesh than we were designed/evolved to have. Which was the other point I madeBig grin
                  Sorry, but that point sounds to me like a valid point about body mass (or at least thigh mass)... and that is not an issue for me. I'm neither fat nor big boned.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe then we were not designed to run Confused
                      Since I am new to this longer distance running... is chaffing something your body becomes better at coping with as you train? Or is weight loss the only way to improve it?
                      xor

Maybe then we were not designed to run Confused
                        Or maybe stating that clothing and being overweight as THE causes of chafing might be, you know, a simplification and not perhaps correct. Edited to add: maybe I just have a narrow pelvis. Damn narrow pelvis.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most simplifications are oversimplifications, to be sure.

Bugs

Hym, which explains why I only chaffed on my tush last marathon. Blush

Bugs

Kimmie

I have to add that I tell people this all the time and they just give me a funny look. When they start in on why they can't run, I say " we were designed to run. It's only our sedentary society that has made us have to schedule time to do it and call it exercise." I always get the weirdest looks. Like this is a totally crazy notion. Like there have always been cars.... I've never thought about the chafing issue. I would tend to agree with Trent but I guess srlopez is the exception.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hym, which explains why I only chaffed on my tush last marathon. Blush
                                Nah, my butt's bigger than yours and I didn't chafe or even use any "lubes" on my butt to prevent chafing. Something about the bottoms you wore must have moved-around on your tush. I definitely agree with the clothing causing chafing thing...I gotta go commando under tights and long pants and wear skirts that have briefs with reverse seams. srlopez, I think the narrow pelvis thing is a factor with the thigh chafing. No matter how thin I've ever been my thighs still rub. Even when I was a size 0 teenager. I've known people much heavier than myself who don't have that issue, but have a different leg shape (I've got that sprinter lower body...narrow pelvis, bubble butt and big thighs). And the only compression shorts I have found to not crawl up on me are the PI ones with leg grippers (just like cycling shorts, but with no chamois). I can't do regular running shorts, either, as the loose fabric ends up all bunched-up in my crotch region...not pretty and causes some wicked chafe.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay