Trail shoes - what do you recommend/like? (Read 1192 times)

RunsOnDirt

New Balance 101's.  Very light/minimalist, super nimble and a blast on the trails, roomy in the toes (at least for me), rock stop, excellent grip, breathable mesh upper that drains quickly, and inexpensive (~$65 at runningwarehouse.com and you can get an extra 10% off by going to RW through the endurancebuzz.com website).  I'm 6'4", 200 pounds, 54 years old and have not had issues wearing these shoes.  They don't have much cushioning and forced me to switch to a more midfoot/forefoot stride.  But I don't use them on pavement.  Like barefoot/Vibram running, If you go this route, you'll need to get used to the low profile gradually to give your Achilles and arch time to get stronger.  

PRs in my 5th decade: 5K - 19:56 10K - 43:45 10 M - 1:14:12 Half Mary - 1:39:27 Full Mary - 3:34:12 (BQ)

New Balance 101's.  Very light/minimalist, super nimble and a blast on the trails, roomy in the toes (at least for me), rock stop, excellent grip, breathable mesh upper that drains quickly, and inexpensive (~$65 at runningwarehouse.com and you can get an extra 10% off by going to RW through the endurancebuzz.com website).  I'm 6'4", 200 pounds, 54 years old and have not had issues wearing these shoes.  They don't have much cushioning and forced me to switch to a more midfoot/forefoot stride.  But I don't use them on pavement.  Like barefoot/Vibram running, If you go this route, you'll need to get used to the low profile gradually to give your Achilles and arch time to get stronger.  

I'll keep these in mind.  I haven't had a chance to test out the Rogue Racers yet, but the toe box concerns me...a little narrow for me..we'll see.

adrenaline ASR7   been using same pair on trails for 2 yrs & still going strong.   light weight for a trail shoe, meaning does not have that cumbersome feel that some trail runners that I have tried.  good support.   Brooks only makes claim that they are water resistant,  but they actually keep my feet pretty much dry even through puddles/mud.  can also run them on pavement although would not recommend them on long runs on pavement.  best part is that they are Brooks which are the only shoes that I run in anymore.

I have Nike Pegasus Trail, the new version without Gortex!

goat

Finder of good newts

I am about to have a public burning of my Montrail Mountain Masochists because they do not work for me AT ALL.  I tried, I really really tried... and I've come away with battered feet and black toes way more in the montrails than my other shoes. 

My poor Montrail Masochists got a little depressed hearing about the black toenails and such...   I've had mine for over 400 miles of trails - with a 50km trail run in rain and mud being the longest run.    My feet like them - a lot.    No blisters, bad toes or any such thing regardless of mud rain wind sand gravel or whatever.    I like their low profile, tough sole, breath-ability and well - yes I tried them on because I liked the name.  My current pair are turning into my hiking shoes.

I have relatively narrow feet and a mid height arch.  

Street shoes:  I've recently been running in Asics Cumulus and Pulse...

and Nike Pegasus.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up