Getting back into running (Read 1245 times)

If the "tingling" is actually itching and not pins and needles numbness then I have experienced that before in my legs. It is likely a histamine reaction that creates itchiness not unlike some kind of skin allergic reaction. I don't have it anymore when I exercise but still get it to cold but I have serious problems with allergies. That said, it only happened to me when I was very unfit. I'm still not terribly fit but it did go away. Once I found out what it was, way back when, I just exercised through it and eventually it went away. Antihistamines can help. If she isn't walking regularly maybe start with that but do it frequently... like everyday and introduce a bit of running into the walks slowly until they are all run. Given that it is an allergic reaction, if it is severe, she should probably see a doctor and stop the running. It is rare but people can die from anaphylaxis induced by exercise. http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/16/1202623.aspx There are some tips for management in this article. MTA: oh and re the knees thing... definitely if the knees are hurting at this point... less running more walking until she is stronger/fitter. Are you aware of the C25K program. Something like that can be helpful for people that have never run before.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
    grandville455

Shes not really so exhausted she has to stop she stops cause her legs are itching.... I just googled itchy legs while running.. got all kinds of hits......I would like to know how to get rid of these damn side stitches when i am running now!... How do i make them not start to begin with?
      grandville455

We'll we had the 2 mile this saturday.. and my goal was to make it in 18 minute range.. well i did it in 18.17 which i was ok with considering at 1 3/4 i got another damn side stitch and had to walk for a bit.. otherwise i think i could have done it in 16-17!... which i am ok with considering i have only ran maybe 10 times now...... can any one explain these side aches and how to get rid of them? or they part of training and conditioing?

Yoda the 4-eared cat

We'll we had the 2 mile this saturday.. and my goal was to make it in 18 minute range.. well i did it in 18.17 which i was ok with considering at 1 3/4 i got another damn side stitch and had to walk for a bit.. otherwise i think i could have done it in 16-17!... which i am ok with considering i have only ran maybe 10 times now...... can any one explain these side aches and how to get rid of them? or they part of training and conditioing?
          Hello Mr. Eager Beaver, Congratuations on your enthusiasm! Big grin This has more or less already been stated (slow down, be consistent, be patient etc....) but I noticed that you've picked up the stopwatch again. I mean, plan your runs by distance or time (either one will do) but ditch the speed objective. By all means keep recording both in your log just don't set out to run distance X in X minutes. Take the pressure off. You can get to speed workouts in time but NOT right now. And to answer the stitch question... slow down, be consistent, be patient! You'll get less stitches as you get fitter. A few things I've tried to get rid of a stitch are: - walk for a bit or run more slowly till it eases off - breath with big "huffing" breaths from the diaphragm in time with your steps - don't eat for 2-3 hours before running Finally, if you are looking to slowly work towards a longer distance (C25K has already been mentioned), try this one (scroll down to "1 hr Runner") once you've got to feeling comfortable running for 30 minutes: http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run Note that all the workouts are timed in minutes - the distance is not important. Keep up the good work. Smile MTA emoticons to show there is NO sarcasm in this post!
          grandville455

Hi thanks For the words.... The only reason i brought the watch was to see where i was when i was at a point in the race to see if my goal was obtainable is all Smile....I cut and pasted that link and will have my gf print it out.. I am going to try that 10 week program and see how it goes!!... I will be posting as i go to let you know... I did however run this morning with my gf as she rode my bike and i ran the full two miles with a nice steady pace and when i started to even feel a side stich i just breathed in and out heavily a bunch of times and i was good to go.. Now i also didnt eat anything this morning either.. just a few sips of water before i left.. when i raced i had some oatmeal but that was 4 hrs before also... so maybe a factor still?.....