The Headphone rule, amended (Read 1204 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I had read that the rule was originally intended to prevent runners from getting help from trainers/coaches during a race (via radio, such as race conditions and positions of other runners). Hardly applicable to the average Grandmas runner.
    Didn't Ryan Hall wear headphones during the 07 Olympic trials? How was that allowed under the old rules? Armstrong always had a headset that was patched into his coach and it would play music as well. Guess he doesn't use that out on the running course. Think of how great a runner Armstrong would be with headphones! Shocked Just kidding of course!

Why is it sideways?

I think they should ban strollers. Clowning around
        Didn't Ryan Hall wear headphones during the 07 Olympic trials?
        I don't think so. It clearly would not have been permitted.
        Armstrong always had a headset that was patched into his coach and it would play music as well. Guess he doesn't use that out on the running course.
        Communication with coaches/non-participants is allowed in cycling events.
          " for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices." Well, now seeing that everyone gets a medal at the end of the race.... Big grin
          Run like you stole something.

Go Pre!

" for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices." Well, now seeing that everyone gets a medal at the end of the race.... Big grin
            Imagine if they passed you over at th eend of a marathon? Sorry, iPod, no medal for you. Spit.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The fun part about headphones is how startled runners are when you pass them, because they never heard the verbal warning or foot-striking noise you made as you approached them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Go Pre!

The fun part about headphones is how startled runners are when you pass them, because they never heard the verbal warning or foot-striking noise you made as you approached them.
                I am not 'pro' headphones but I have never noticed anyone being startled as I passed them. I find this dig at headphone users highly over emphasised.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am not 'pro' headphones but I have never noticed anyone being startled as I passed them. I find this dig at headphone users highly over emphasised.
                  I'm not inventing it -- I've really startled people in headphones -- yelps a couple of times-- even though I usually apologize, I have to admit I find it pretty entertaining... Also I've seem some startled/scared ones from bikes passing...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Go Pre!

I'm not inventing it -- I've really startled people in headphones -- yelps a couple of times-- even though I usually apologize, I have to admit I find it pretty entertaining... Also I've seem some startled/scared ones from bikes passing...
                    i guess just because it hasn't happened to me I shouldn't assume it never happens so I retract my previous response. The headphone debate is a ridiculous debate though, that will always go on. I agree with a lot of comments, those for and against. The points I disagree with most pertain to those who say 'learn to run without music' - I don't race with headphones (aside from my last very small marathon as a 'test' ) but being a music lover, looking for any chance to get through my music collection, I wear headphones on some solo runs and enjoy it for the music itself, not what it does for my running. When I forget, or choose not to use my iPod, I enjoy these runs just as much, even more in the pure sense of running. Music however is so dear to me that I just love to run with headphones sometimes. That said, I am a staunch believer in safe volume control and removing headphones in situations that demand it.
                    Roses Revenge

I don't use headphones because I already have hearing aids stuck in my ears so it doesn't matter to me. I did find that many more runners than prior years were using them in Portland and that I had far fewer conversations with other runners than in 2006 & 2007. Remember, that I'm way back in the pack so we usually talk more than faster runners.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

My legs are killing me

I wear headphones all the time for training but never in a race. I don't have a problem with people wearing them in a race as long as they are aware of their surroundings and look before they move right or left. I hate it when someone cuts me off but I've had that happen even with non headphone wearers. I did wonder why anyone would wear headphones at the NYC marathon. It seems to me like they cheated themselves out of a lot of great crowd support that would probably have helped get them through the race. And all those people that line the street are what make that race so special.
                        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I think they should ban strollers. Clowning around
                          The only instance I have had a near miss with the stroller was when a lady with ear phones was meandering from one side of the road to the other. She almost ran smack into the side of the stroller(or me for that matter) during the race! Now you might ask why was a lady meandering all over the road and yet she was still ahead of me? The answer is that it was a "Skirt Chaser" race. The women start 3 minutes ahead of the men. The first person(singular) to cross the line regardless of when they started gets $500. I caught all but about 10 women that day and that was with both kids in tow and the near miss. We had an incident today where our club had a race that specifically has to ban earphones for insurance reasons. One of our team members had earphones on at the start. I politely asked him to remove them citing the rule. He reluctantly obliged and so I offered to sing to him while we ran! That got a huge laugh from the crowd of runners at the start.