Do you take a yearly sabbatical from running? (Read 968 times)

Sorry to hear that, hoping 2009 is a better year for you.
    Thank you, I hope it is.
    ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.

Bugs

I don't purposely do it but last Nov. when my mom was sick I took 4+ weeks off then when she died in July I took about 5 weeks off. Something always seems to happen that knocks me on my ass once a year. Here's to hoping 2009 doesn't have any of that crap.
      I am so sorry for your loss. After my Dad died I did more laying on the floor in my exercise room pondering my life than I did exercising. Then I got up, and started running. Nine months later I ran a marathon. That was three years ago. Sounds like you've had your share of crap and should be set for good times here on out. I hope so.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've started wondering about this too. I have a marathon in four weeks, so I don't think now is the time, but I remember that triathlon advice is to take an off-season break and allow deconditioning -- and that discussions of periodization talk about seasonal rest too. Last winter I ran through the winter and enjoyed it, and I kind of hate to stop during the months when it is getting colder, for fear it will be difficult to start up when colder.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Blisters

After a marathon I take aweek almost completely off--I may do a really easy run or two at the end of the week if I'm feeling good, or not. And I take the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas "off" but I don't stop running altogether. I do maybe half my normal mileage and don't do any hard workouts, take days off once in a while.
          This is almost exactly what I do. Week off after a marathon and December is always a low mileage month with no races. If I haven't had a medically imposed layoff (injury, illness) in awhile I may take a week or two off during the summer and just bike. They are usually more mental rests than physical.

Bugs

After a marathon I take aweek almost completely off--I may do a really easy run or two at the end of the week if I'm feeling good, or not. And I take the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas "off" but I don't stop running altogether. I do maybe half my normal mileage and don't do any hard workouts, take days off once in a while. I don't think there's any downside of taking 2 weeks of aqua jogging after a marathon.
            In January do you bump up mileage the first few weeks by feel or does the 10% rule still apply then?

Bugs

mikeymike

In January do you bump up mileage the first few weeks by feel or does the 10% rule still apply then?
              The 10% rule never applies. I just jump back into normal training.

Runners run

kcam

Since I started running 15 or so years ago I haven't ever taken a voluntary layoff from running. I've been layed up a few times for a couple of weeks at a time with chronic lower back pain but haven't had that problem for several years. I typically will cut back my mileage but hardly ever go below about 30 or so miles a week. This year I don't plan on cutting back after the fall marathon season, hopefully same mileage but all easy for a month then back at it.
                JakeKnight

The 10% rule never applies. I just jump back into normal training.
                  I have a semi-enforced rule about skipping birthday week (in early June) and the week after X-mas. Since they're six months apart. But instead of the 10% rule (or whatever it is), I usually get stupid in January. Which leads to a good April marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

So then after admitting that winter is a tougher time to train for us Northern folk, what level of training needs to be maintained so as not to lose what was gained during a summer of hard training and PRs?