Frequency and new runners (Read 1142 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Based on what? This goes counter to my experiences.
    Ditto. Question: do you want to compete seriously or just run for fitness and maybe the occassional social race? The answer to that question can help you guide your training. If you're really new, run as much as you can or want to without getting burned out or injured. If you're really having fun with it, going on a run should rarely feel like a chore but rather something you look forward to.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Based on what?
      What exactly are you taking exception with? On the three days a week I have seen some research on it (will try to look for it if you are interested) otherwise the gist of my advice was slow down and think long term. Now many people could run fine while sore, I think for most beginners need to be very careful. A large percentage of newbies hurt themselves. Once you have a bit of experience you can learn to listen to your body, however as a newbie you need to take it easy.
      Scout7

What exactly are you taking exception with? On the three days a week I have seen some research on it (will try to look for it if you are interested) otherwise the gist of my advice was slow down and think long term. Now many people could run fine while sore, I think for most beginners need to be very careful. A large percentage of newbies hurt themselves. Once you have a bit of experience you can learn to listen to your body, however as a newbie you need to take it easy.
        I was interested in the whole idea of going as far as you can, but only doing so three times a week. I want to know what this concept is based on, and who recommends this, as I have never seen anything making that suggestion, and it goes counter to my own experiences. Also, the part about not running again until you are no longer sore. That also goes counter to my experiences.
          Based on what? This goes counter to my experiences.
          Counter to mine too.....I was much more effective as a brand new beginner going 5 days for short runs......I'm respectfully disagree with longer by fewer runs as a beginner.......but then again, thats just me..... Big grin ... I think daily consistency is more important then longer distance at the beginning....

Champions are made when no one is watching