Cramping? (Read 436 times)

CoachPotter

I have been having issues for about 3 years with long runs and cramping in my legs. If I go for just about any activity over an hour, biking, swimming, running, what ever, my legs will cramp from my calves to my hips. I have been to a few trainers and they all say that it has to be dehydration, but I am drinking water often and I don't drink soda at all. I am hoping that someone on here my have had similar issues and might have some suggestions on how to get past this. Oh, and I do stretch, I can put my palms on the ground. Thanks

Oh Mighty Wing

do you eat banana's??
      mikeymike

Cramping can be caused by other things besides dehydration. What's your weekly/monthly mileage over the last 3 months and how long are these long runs?

Runners run

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Cramping can be caused by drinking too much water as well

Best Present Ever

The Science of Sports guys don't believe that cramping and dehydration (or electrolyte levels) are really related. I find their arguments persuasive. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/featured-series-on-science-of-sport.html Scroll down to find the posts on cramping. There may be information in there that's useful to you.
            CoachPotter

My running milage over the passed three months has ranged from 28 to 41 with my long runs being no less than 8 and no more than 11. I also take days off of running and play basketball, bike or swim and with almost all the things I do, around an hour into it I start having massive cramps. I use Jack daniels milage calculator to figure the amount of miles a day for my goal milage for a week. I am not running near the pace I used to, basically just running to keep in shape. On short runs (3-4 mi) I will pick up the tempo to around 7min pace, but anything over 4 I am around 8:30-9:45. I am just getting very frustrated. I enjoyed doing tri athalons last summer, but three out of the five I did I cramped up on the run and barely finished. thanks for all the advice oh and yes I eat a banana almost everyday and I stretch and do ice baths 2-3 days aweek.