Easy days? (Read 1037 times)

Go Pre!

Well, I understand what you're saying, Willamona, but if someone had told me two years ago, "Start out by running 20 minutes, very slowly," I never would have tried it. Way too intimidating. The ONLY reason I started running was my friend saying, "You don't have to go far - just run from one telephone pole to the next, and then walk to the one after that. I'll go with you, too." Of course, I was terribly out of shape and 30 pounds overweight, so I'm different from the OP! I'm just saying that C25K worked for me because it removed the fear factor. I should add that my friend DID tell me to go very slowly, and that was a new concept, also, after feeling bad for years about being the slowest kid in the entire 8th grade.
    Well said Teresa..sorry Willie
      If it's the same C25k on CR, I don't like it and never have. The only reason is that it has you run for x minutes and walk for x minutes for a total of say 20 minutes. While this if fine for someone doing intervals, it's not so great for a beginning runner that needs to go slow anyway. I understand it is a successful program, but generally the next thing we had to tell people that had completed the program was slow down since the program had no instruction as to what the correct speed was for a beginner. The old CR forums had tons of threads where the C25K grad would have all sorts of aches and pains but what to do next. We would just tell them all to slow down and keep running. Sometimes they even listened. i say slow down in the first place and just run for 20 minutes. My many seasons of starting over in the past tell me this is very possible. Just pick a pace where you are not breathing hard. That way, you are more likely to stick with running long term, if that is your goal. At first you will have running at an easy pace, that will be a 'hard' day. The easy day will be rest. It's very straight forward really. You are 16, join the cross country team at school. Tell the coach you are just running for fitness and not speed, and practice with the team. If you feel up to it, run in a couple of meets. You don't have to take the sport seriously to join a team. You also will probably help keep a cross country team from getting cut. Also, I see in the profile that running is something the OP wants to use to make them 'feel less guilty about eating.' You should feel the same amount of guilt over eating that you do over breathing. My point? You need to eat to live. If you feel guilt over eating, running will not help you. Seeing a doctor and discussing this problem you have with food with them might help you. Running might help control weight or it might send you to the hospital when combined with an extreme diet. Let's try to be healthy about food, excersize and our bodies. 5 foot 4 and 128 is not huge in anybody's book. Being 16 tells me you are still growing. Worry about eating later and concentrate on healthy food now. Never feel guilty about something you need to live.
      thanks for your advice and concern. when i said i feel guilty about eating i meant those days when i eat five waffles for breakfast drenched in syrup then i snack on cookies all day and eat a large bucket of popcorn at the movies then have fast food for dinner and a huge fudge sundae for desert then continue snacking on cookies til bed. i dont think im fat or anything. i actually think im on the skinny side and love the way i look. im not trying to be all defensive or anythingbut ijust wanted to show you im not like one of those girls with an eating disorder or anything. i just think that the way im eating right now isn't very healthy and running could help me out a little.plus running for 20 sseems really long for me. i've decided to go with the c25k program but thanks for your help
      Goals: Run.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hope to see you over in our C25K support group. (The link is in my sig.) It may seem slow with walk breaks at first, but it works. I finished last week and the ladies in our support group are awesome!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations for finishing, Meg! I didn't know you had. Keep up the great work!
            Just pick a pace where you are not breathing hard. That way, you are more likely to stick with running long term, if that is your goal.
            I know what you are saying here and to an extent I agree that C25Kers tend to run too fast but maybe that is just all beginning runners. But I agree that 20 min would never have worked. Not non-stop. When I started I could barely run faster than I was walking and I was not disappointed in that it was just the way it was. But I also couldn't run for longer than a minute without gasping for air. It took me weeks to get to a point were I would be able to run at all without struggling to breathe and that was a reflection of my lack of cardio fitness. When I tried to run too fast it threatened my desire to stick with it but when I tried to run non-stop it did the same thing. Only now am I reaching a point where I am starting to understand an easy run and unfortunately when you are really unfit like me, an easy run isn't possible until you can do a less than easy run and when I started I couldn't do that. Now that I could, in theory run faster for a short time, I can slow down and maintain that and take a walk break now and then and then it is an easy run and I'm not out of breathe at all. It took me about 14 weeks to get here and I don't think I could have done it without intervals. For me one of the issues I had was getting a feel for what a slow pace should be. I asked around and received a lot of advice to run slow and not worry about pace but I was really trying to get an idea of how to run slow and how to find the right slow. Few people offered input on pace, mostly encouraging me to stop thinking about it (this was in a number of places, not this board primarily, I did get some advice here). I think it is good to encourage newbies to think about pace not to ignore it and the reason is that if they think about pace they will be able to concentrate on running slower. I know that veteran runners seem to associate intervals and pace with quality runs and the quest for speed but for me those are still things I think about to help me go slow enough. I think it would be a good idea to point out to newbies some advice about how to find the right pace. I now try to think that on an easy run I will run at a speed where I can imagine covering twice as much distance as I'm going to cover that day. So if I'm running 2.5K I'm thinking in my head that I should run slow enough to be able to maintain it for 5k. When I do that I end the run feeling like there is more in the tank and it is enjoyable and I'm more conservative early in the run and so I take more breaks. It I push myself to avoid breaks early in the run I pay for it big time later in the run. Not sure if that approach will work for other newbies.
            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
            • Complete a 10K fun run
              Been reading thu this entire string......i still think you should start out with the C25K and after you are finisned, I think there are programs that take it up from there.........Its not wise to do it on your own or make up your own program (like 20 minutes per day) just after you start running.......its to easy to suddenly try to do too much and get hurt.....Out of the shoot, you probably need a structured program.......later after you are more experienced you will better be able to come up with your own programs........and again as said above, ask lots of questions in RA...there is a wealth of info in here and the people are all willing and able to help......I wish I had had this years ago when I started out as it would have kept me from a lot on injuries....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Prince of Fatness

I don't see a ton of disagreement here, but would like to chime in with a few points. I agree that most beginners run too fast, too soon. Hell, I have been running off and on for years and just last year started running higher mileage at a slower pace. I am not going to say anything good or bad about C25K because I am not familiar with it and haven't used it. I really need to side with willamona here. Just run easy for a while. I think when people say this doesn't work for them they are either not patient enough to wait for the results to come, and they will, or they get fixated on a number (pace) that they feel that they must be running. When you increase mileage and are running easy your are building endurance. Building is the key word here. It is a gradual process. You just don't wake up one morning and have all this endurance. I am now to a point where I can go out for a 12 mile run on a weekend and it does not impact what I do the rest of the day, but I had to do it for a solid 9 months to get to that point. As for pace, this also takes some practice to get it right. But don't get stuck on a number. Running 10 minute miles when it is 50 degrees and not humid out is much different than say 85 and muggy. This is why I run on feel. I bring my garmin with me, but only so I can log my run. I really don't look at much, and I don't get all uptight if it says I ran 8:45 pace or 10:00 pace (my easy pace is right around 9:15 on average). I've been doing it this way for a little over a year now. It took a while but my race times are starting to go down but more importantly, I just plain feel better. It just takes a while to get there.

Not at it at all. 

I've been doing it this way for a little over a year now. It took a while but my race times are starting to go down but more importantly, I just plain feel better. It just takes a while to get there.
                  You said it brother. I started at age 38 thinking I'd have 2 years to become so fast I'd be leaving every 40+ male gasping for breath in my wake as I sucked all the wind from the area due to the shear awesomeness of my speed... I have woken up now after about 15 months. I'm getting better slowly but it will take me until age 45... then... look out. I'll be like a comet! Big grin