Google maps and RunningAHEAD (Read 189 times)

DavePNW

Oh, and you don’t even want to know how much I’d pay for the “Search” feature alone. That probably sets the RA log apart more than anything else. What’s the fastest pace I’ve run a 20-miler? How many 70-mile weeks have I run? Can I see a list of all my 5k races? How about all my runs when the temperature was below 10 degrees? I feel like the Elias Sports Bureau with this thing. There’s not much you can’t look up. And a pretty high percentage of runners are stat geeks.

MTA: the log just told me yesterday that I passed 15,000 miles since coming here. So that’s something too.

Dave

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

So, I'll put in my few words.

I don't rely upon the maps here at all.  They are nice to check a certain grouping of runs from my workouts table.  But honestly, I have Gamin, Strava, and then the import functions of every other running program that imports Garmin's output.

I use the graphical functions of the logging function.  It's also easier to put my training plan here.  But the if Google is costing so much (and thereby costing it potential customers to the point that they are their only customer because nobody else can afford to use it), just drop it.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

beatlemaniac

Outside Lane

+1

So, I'll put in my few words.

I don't rely upon the maps here at all.  

...if Google is costing so much...just drop it.

See how they run...

eric :)

I've been working on switching to OpenStreetMap for the last 2 weeks and I'm no closer. I'm using OpenLayers for the rendering and I'm struggling to make it work. If you are familiar with OpenLayers, I would love to talk to you about it. I'm using Visual Studio 2017 and TypeScript. Here are some of the problems I ran into:

• Version 5.3 directly from the repo does not compile at all. I get many errors in Visual Studio
          • Compiling with tsc.exe also yields many errors
          • The precompiled v5.3 package appears to be v4.6. (e.g. ol.layer.TileLayer (v.5.3 API) doesn't exist, but ol.layer.Tile (v4.6) does).
          • Events don't contain useful info. For example, there doesn't seem to be a public way know which vertex point is being dragged, which is needed to update distance markers.
          • Distance markers (features) can't be removed from the route.
          • The API distance calculation yields a different value from the formula I've been using all these years. I will need to plot a reference route to know which is correct.

It shouldn't be this difficult to migrate to a different maps API. Much of the underlying code could be reused so it should be a matter of hooking up to the new API. I'm going to take a look at Leaflet, the OpenLayers alternative.

Ugh, that sounds grim. Sorry I can't offer any help other than my condolences.  I have noticed that OpenWeatherMap has a pretty nice map implementation using Leaflet.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
            - Mark Twain