New runner with a pretty lofty goal.... (Read 1599 times)

Nobby: That photo is pure gold.
    Glowan: If you think that picture is gold, check out the actual footage at http://www.juanjosemartinez.com.mx/seko.html Scroll all the way down and click "Fukuoka 1983". One of the most exciting marathons I've ever watched.
    Nobby415, the guy in 2nd place is one of my favorite runners of all time!
    Speaking of the exciting marathon, although I thought Salazar's 1982 NY marathon was such a boring race (cuz it was basically a one-man race), to me, that was one of the most exciting moments in any marathon I've watched. I don't care if the course was a tad short; Salazar said he would break 12-year-old world best and he did. Salazar was, without doubt, one of the most exciting runners of all time. It is unfortunate, however, that his talent wasn't quite justified internationally, with various reasons. In this particular race, to have the entire Olympic squad of one country (Japan) to beat him--that was such a blow to a confident man like him...let alone a set of brothers to beat him! Actually quite level-headed nice guy though... Doing a great job coaching some of the leading young Americans now.
    Roses Revenge

Lots of good advice here. If your goal is to finish in under 4 hours, you should be fine. I walked all of my first half marathon and finished in a little over four ours with no running at all. I'm 5'4" and at the time was about 140 pounds. Also 64 years old. I'd only been training for about three months at that point and didn't have good shoes yet.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

The Thunder

Hello, my name is Audra. I'm 24 years old and new to running so I have a few questions that may seem really stupid. To begin with, I'm 5'2'', 135 pounds, with very short legs and really flat feet. I definitely do not have what one would consider to be the "runners build." I did gymnastics andcheerleading growing up so I'm on the muscular side as opposed to being more lean. Several times over the past few years I've started running, but it's always been so hard for me that I give up after a month or so. About 6 months ago I started running nearly every day for about 2 months and only got up to being able to run 2.2 miles at a time without stopping. Even then, I never felt like it had gotten any easier. I stopped for a while, but have started trying again within the past week. I really want running to be something I enjoy, but sometimes I wonder if I simply wasn't built for it. Is there anything I can do to get past this or is it something that's really just in my head? However, a friend has recently talked me into trying to Run/Walk a Half Marathon with her at the end of April. I know that there's no way I'll be able to run the whole thing by then, but we just want to finish it within the time limit of 4 hours. She found some program online that's supposed to get you ready in 8 weeks which is exactly the amount of time we have left. Is this an overly lofty goal, and if not, does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help!
        I'm sorry...this is going to sound mean, and i'm really not trolling (this time). You are in 'good physical condition' and you are trying to do a 1/2 marathon in 4 hours?! That's just under 18:30 pace. Yes...18:30 pace. Are you planning on running for 2.2 miles then taking a nap, then running 2.2 miles, then taking a nap? I mean seriously?! 4 hours? If you were obese, or had 1 leg, or something like that I could understand the goal of finishing under 4 hours. But you're 5'2 and 135 and strong. #1. You don't have a lofty goal. #2. I think it was Jeffgoblue who said to run slower...you should do that for your 2.2 miles #3. Sorry if this all sounds mean, but if you're serious then you need a wakeup call and not all these folks blowing sunshine up your......

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

I currently live in Pensacola, FL with my husband who's in flight school, but we're planning on going to one in Nashville on April 25th I believe. also, are you an Aggie as well? My husband and I are both Class of 06! Smile
          I live in Biloxi, MS and will be at the same race. I will be running the full. Good luck!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Queen of 3rd Place

Glowan: If you think that picture is gold, check out the actual footage at http://www.juanjosemartinez.com.mx/seko.html Scroll all the way down and click "Fukuoka 1983". One of the most exciting marathons I've ever watched.
            Nobby, I couldn't get that link to work. By the way, not to hijack the thread, I was thinking about you the other day, and wanted to thank you. Smile For the original poster - in my opinion (because this is what happened to me my first and second tries at running as an adult) this running thing won't work out unless it's fun, and it won't be fun unless you are careful to take things slow and easy - and by slow I mean both your pace and your weekly/monthly mileage increases. You should have no problem with the 4 hr time cutoff for your half (really, like Thunder said, that's not even a brisk walk, so relax), so what you need to focus on is simply being patient and consistent with your running. Chat with a friend as you run, groove on the scenery or your music, explore a new neighborhood, just relax and shuffle along. It is very hard to go slow enough, it will feel ridiculously slow, yes it takes discipline...but it will pay off in the coming months.

Ex runner

Nobby, I couldn't get that link to work. By the way, not to hijack the thread, I was thinking about you the other day, and wanted to thank you. Smile
              Arla: You're right. I checked the spelling and it was correct but, for some reason, it didn't open. Let's try again. http://www.juanjosemartinez.com.mx/seko.html By the way, thank you, but what did I do? ;o) Shhh! It's nothing naughty, is it??? ;o)

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks! What a kick! I'm just thanking you for being supportive to us newbies, without blowing sunshine... We save the naughty stuff for srlopez... Wink

Ex runner

Thanks! What a kick! I'm just thanking you for being supportive to us newbies, without blowing sunshine... We save the naughty stuff for srlopez... Wink
                  Arla: Thank you! I thought you were thanking me for saying that you have a nice name...! ;o) But really, thanks! You made my day. I've had my share of ups and downs with my running. When I first moved to MN, I was on the lower end of it. I entiered this 5 mile race and, for the heck of it, I decided to start at the very end. I was amazed to see EVERYONE there, including those who were at the very end, were just as serious as those who were at the front. My mentor, Arthur Lydiard, of course was the one who said that he got "just as much gratification with helping out obese middle aged person to get out and run a few miles as coaching Olympic champion." He meant it; and I mean it as well. Those whom I help range from 2:22 (man) to 4:20 (also man). I would get a kick out of this guy breaking 4 hours just as much as the other guy breaking 2:20; and this is the truth. I have been involved in running for more than 30-years (since I was...well, 2 years old, yeah, that's it...!). I've been involved with some of the bests and learnt a lot from them; and from message boards like this, I've learnt a lot about what people are thinking--and that's very important to me. What bothers me is misinformation; misinterpretaion and misguidance. Some people seem to love to "show off" what they have read on paper or internet with whole bunch of scientific looking mumbo-jumbo. I don't know what those people are thinknig, what their intention is but, as far as I'm concerned, what they do is to limit the potential of development--if you're such-and-sucn height, you can't be this and that. If your VO2Max is such-and-such, you can't run this time or that time. If you are so many years old, you can only go this far... I was talking to premier US exercise physiologist, Dave Martin, last week. He's as much of a scientist as you can get; he's a statistician as well. And we both agreed that (yeah, this is my line lately) it's "not the bones and muscles that run; but heart and soul that run..." One of the biggest things I'm interested in right now is how original gurus like Lydiard or Bill Bowerman took a middle aged obese people who couldn't even run 200 yards without stopping and tuen them into running 20 mies WITHOUT STOPPING. One of the biggest things that I can think of is all these misinformation, misinterpretation (and those who are spreading it around) and misguidance. I believe it can be done. I'm still learning how... That's exciting.
                    What bothers me is misinformation; misinterpretaion and misguidance. Some people seem to love to "show off" what they have read on paper or internet with whole bunch of scientific looking mumbo-jumbo. I don't know what those people are thinknig, what their intention is but, as far as I'm concerned, what they do is to limit the potential of development--if you're such-and-sucn height, you can't be this and that. If your VO2Max is such-and-such, you can't run this time or that time. If you are so many years old, you can only go this far...
                    Nobby - You said a mouthful here - FOR SURE. I know that when anyone posts a question here, you usually get a number of suggestions....some good and some bad----and then you really have to sort thru them and extract the real information. But you are so right about a 'theoretical' coaches. I think most people are really trying to help. But I also know that just because someone runs, and even if they are good at it, it doesnt mean they're always good at helping others (or coaching/advising). Then again, I go in the Summer on Wed and work with a coach whom doesn't run - and Im not sure if he has ever been much of a runner but is really great at working with people and drawing up individual program (he's coached hundreds of people for years). You never know where really good advice might come from. But you definately have to consider the source when people post --- take the good stuff and forget the bad stuff...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I might have come out cocky or arrogant; but I don't mean to at all. I've been involved in running for more than 30 years now but I'd be the first to admit that I'm still learning and learning a lot. One of the most useful information I've gained from this message board recently is about "runner's trot"--I even copied it and stored it in the file. I've never had that problem; I've known only one person (a guy) who had that issue and he actually, well, just stuck his hands in and dumped them out of his shorts (during the race)! Not a good advice to follow! ;o) If you never had it, you'll never know what to do. This is why sometimes it's not the very best of elite who would give the best advice. I treasure books written by the late Ron Daws--he was not a talented runner (PR 2:20+ and something like 4:50 high school miler) and yet he made the US Olympic team by out-thinking others. Being able to motivate others, and knowing how to do it well, means A LOT. But, as far as I'm concerned, it's not the same as just simply saying "Oh, you can do it..." (I hope this is what Arla meant by "without blowing sunshine...") I still remember when I asked Arthur Lydiard what he thought I could do. Instead of "blowing sunshine", he simply told me, well if you want to be good (or better), this is what you need to do... There's a difference between being realistic and being an empty cheerleader. You only get what you pay for. You want to run a marathon and do it reasonably well, you've got to put in the work. There's no short-cut to it; I don't believe in those "less is better" crap particularly for those who might be getting "overuse syndrom" by running 20 miles a week! I'm not sure, however, John, about someone being a good coach who may not even run... I mean, if he (or she) never run much, how would he know about certain things? I mean, to me, one of the issues is shoes. I've put in a lot of investiment in the past and paid my dues too. Another thing is winter running. The coldest I ever run was -60F wih windchill. I was out for 30 minutes (in the morning) and came home only to find out our daughter's school was closed and even most offices were closed too! Okay, it was something like -38F actual temperature with wind and I chose neighborhood loop around residential area so I didn't get quite as much wind but it's cool to say "I was out in -60F cnodition!" ;o) I was out in-30F (without wind this time) this winter. I think I know a thing or two about how to dress in cold weather. You don't have to be a fast runner; but if you never done that, how can you give advice as to what to wear and how to dress up? Yes, you don't have to be a fast/good runner; but you've got to be out there and do it. I hadn't missed a day since last June. A big motivation to me for that is now I'm actually coaching some people. If I expect them to be out there and doing something, I've got to be out there as well. One of my favorite stories is that of Percy Cerutty, a coach of great Herb Elliot of Australia. He used to take Elliot to a local track the day before his race and ran a mile as hard as he could. He was over 70 at the time and his time was not that great naturally. But he would come in and tell Elliot, "You may run faster tomorrow but you cannot run as fard as I just did!" A little provoking; but that's the spirit. If I expect my runners to be out runnng in -30F condition, I've got to be out there myself. I would dispise those couch coach who would tell runners to do this and that but sit on their backside and do nothing. I think I've hijacked this thread and digressed enough. I should stop here... ;o)
                        Nobby -- your comments are always well taken and I always appreciate a frank candid answer.... You and mikeymike are the best at frankness and candor..... John

Champions are made when no one is watching