yet another garmin quest. (Read 1666 times)

Why would you want to do that, though? 

First, I'll happily disclaim the difference between "want" and "need".  As mikeymike or Scout7 (or you) could readily point out, I don't NEED it to do that at all.  Hell, you don't even "need" a watch.  Do Kenyan children obsess over their Casios?

But take today's striders, for example: I run them over about 100m, then take a walking recovery until my HR gets down to 105 (it runs pretty low to begin with).  Yes, I most certainly could run the entire thing by feel and be absolutely none the worse for wear.  But (a) I like not having to look at my watch to see my HR, but instead just hearing it beep and knowing it's time to roll on the next strider; (b) I geek out looking at the data afterward and seeing how consistent my 100m striders were or how long it took for my HR to get back down to 105; and (c) I can compare those times/recoveries to previous striders, which I tend to run on the same stretch of road anyway.  GTC is easy enough to use that setting up the workout is a quick and painless event for me.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Does the 210 not basically do this?  I was looking at a comparison between the 110 and the 210, and the only difference seems to be that you can pre-program interval sessions on the 210. 

Garmin's website says you can set up interval/rest workouts in the 210, but that you cannot use it to create "custom, goal-oriented workouts."

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Garmin's website says you can set up interval/rest workouts in the 210, but that you cannot use it to create "custom, goal-oriented workouts."

I have the 210 and you can set up an interval on the watch.  You have to go through a "wizard" where you can specify distance, time or HR as a goal for the hard part or the rest part.

If all the intervals will be the same, then you can say "...repeat x times"

If the intervals are different then you get to keep pressing buttons.

You cannot push a workout from the GTC to the watch.

Also I don't think you can save a workout, or have two different workouts on teh watch at teh same time.

I have this watch and never had a bezel version.  I like the form factor, it looks like a watch and I don't have the inadvertant button presses.  I do howvever forget to press the button a lot.  I don't look at my watch during, I just like that it records the data and I can analyze after.

Also after calibrating my foot pod on a track, it seems very accurate, based upon treadmill milage and GPS training runs over the same course.

That is all Wink

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
        Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Cool... thanks for the info, guys.  I'll probably end up sitting on the fence with my Ironman until someone buys me a Garmin as a gift.  So, a long time.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

L Train

20th Century Fox presents - Garmin Quest! (This is what I keep seeing when I see this thread).  Carry on.

Does the 210 not basically do this?  I was looking at a comparison between the 110 and the 210, and the only difference seems to be that you can pre-program interval sessions on the 210. 

The 110 does not give you actual pace, while the 210 does.

20th Century Fox presents - Garmin Quest! (This is what I keep seeing when I see this thread).  Carry on.

Garmin actually marketed a GPS device called the Quest.  (As well as the new-and-improved Quest 2.)

-- Dick LeBeau

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

The 110 does not give you actual pace, while the 210 does.

My understanding is that the 20 uses a "new" formula for current pace.  It is actually a very localized moving average so that the value changes more smoothly.  I am told the 110 used to give you 7:00 - 7:15 - 7:01 in a short time because it was a "true" last sat. value.

YMMV and I can only attest to the 210: it never spikes our give irradict paces.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                  Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Tim Hardy

You don't need footpod for 305 unless using on treadmill. I have 305 and love it.

Agree; love my 305 as well; not sure what the "Return Home" feature is but it's a terrific piece of equipment. I don't leave home without it. Seriously...

TLH

Arlington, VA