Two black toenails after a race in Kinvaras (Read 1677 times)

Well, I'm always on the look-out for overzealous chicken puppies.

I work my day job in hush puppies.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Version #1: I would never run in hush puppies.  Born To Run aside, not enough support in hush puppies.

If you want them firmer: use a little more milk and less water, and fry them slightly darker.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Eat shoe leather?

Sir, I am not a hobo.

Kalsarikännit

Quantify: "the short stuff".

100k's of course!  Wink

Every year or so I like to throw in a 5k or 8k.  I find myself dreading them more than I do the really long stuff.  One of my goals is to do a lot more of them in 2011.  I hope it turns me into some kind of legitimate runner so I don't look like such a joke in these (although I doubt it).

Detail Image

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Wow!  Is this a common thing among ultra people or is this rather exceptional (individual matter)?  Do they have to switch shoes during the race?

I get it. I don't even think of it as an ultra thing - I've had noticeable swelling on runs as short as 12 miles.

I've always just sized my shoes up 2 sizes. All my footcare is with the expectation that my foot will slide around some, at least for the first few miles. FWIW any times I've had problems with black toenails or blisters it's easier to blame shoes that are too tight than too loose. Maybe other people are different.

When I hear people talking about all the things that can happen with shoes too loose I just have trouble imagining any of it happening to me. "They fall off" is about the only negative consequence I can conceive of.

The shirtless wonder

On my long run last week my left foot kept going numb.  I was able to make it stop when I loosened my shoe and I didn't even have it laced very tightly.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Another thing you can do is to wear different socks from right to left.

Thanks . I have some microfiber socks. The only problem is they always get a hole in the  toe after a few runs (30 miles or so). I have never tried them on long runs. Yes dear, I cut my toenails first.Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/