Chronic Calf strains (Read 1357 times)

live4running

Maybe someone can offer some advice. I'm 50 years old and a life long runner, wannabe anyways. 6'4" 220lbs. Used to be 170 and raced very well be I won't go there. My problem is this. I go in cycles. I build up my mileage carefully to about 20-30 miles and then out of nowhere I get zapped with a calf strain in the middle of the calf toward the outside. Seems to happen to either calf. This usually puts me out for 2-4 weeks and happens a lot. Usually I can get 2-3 months of running before I get sidelined again. When it happens it's very painful and sore to the touch for the first few days. I've tried motion control shoes. Stretching 5-6 times a day. Ibuprofen. Hydrating. I'm careful about increasing mileage and speed. Could it be related to poor circulation? I have some good size vericose veins but the doc checked the blood flow and said it was nothing to worry about. I'm not too thrilled about vein stripping at this point. I would get these strains many years ago during my high mileage hey day, but they would go away in a day or 2. Now it's get really annoying. Anyone else run into this?Thanks in advance
    Eternal Rookie

I’ve been going thru the same thing for years. The latest suggestion to me has been to do the E-cies in Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. The theory (as I understand it) is that the calves are taking on a role that they weren’t built for because of a bio-mechanical problem elsewhere and while they can do it for awhile, eventually your going to strain/pull them. Haven’t been doing them long enough to know if they help or not (currently nursing a sore hamstring), but I think they borrow heavily from yoga.
      live4running

I'll checked out their web site. I'll give it a try tonight. Try out anything. At least walking doesn't irritate it now. But I'd rather eat tar than walk, personally. Thanks
        Eternal Rookie

Found this link on another website and it’s about lower back pain, but explains the Egoscue philosophy. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/video/video.jsp?videoCatId=vidcat60002
          live4running

It's been 3 weeks since my latest bout with a calf strain. The pain finally is completely gone. However it did this before and when I ran on it, got twice as bad. Any ideas how long to wait in the pain free state before attempting to run? Chomping at the bit to get going, but don't want to blow it again.
              live4running: I pulled my calf muscle a couple weeks ago, and am just healing, and ran for the first time in weeks last night. Since I've not been running, I've had a bit more time for other things, such as reading. About running. Heh. Anyway, I checked Lore of Running by Noakes out of the library, and read what he had to say about calf strains, and he believes there is two types. One is a normal pull, which is what I have (hopefully), and the other is what he calls chronic pulls, where it recurs again and again. I'm hoping I'm not in the second category, as this is my first pull, but your description sounds exactly like what he calls the second type. Specifically, he said they recur, and over time you can feel a tender knot in the muscle. He claims that the only way he has found to eliminate these is to get the area massaged 'vigorously' for a week to 10 days. And from his description, it doesn't sound pleasant. Something along the lines of 'if you aren't crying by the end of the massage, they are probably not doing it right'. Basically, he thinks that when it knots up like that, the muscle doesn't heal right, and just becomes a more likely candidate to tear again later. By really attacking the area with massage, you let the muscle get back to a healthier configuration when it heals. His anecdote indicates he has seen the massage technique resolve this issue for others multiple times. Anyway, I have no experience with sports massage, nor chronic calf pulls so I cannot vouch for this personally, but you might consider looking up his book in the library if you want the specifics. Literally there's only like 3 paragraphs describing it, but your description matches his, and he is fairly direct about other treatments no being sufficient. Hope that gives you something to go with.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude, "E-cies" have been linked to dilligaf syndrome, a serious malady characterized by worsening calf pain, blood clots, diaphoresis and sphincteritis. You really need to be careful.
                  According to the CDC and the GSP, "E-cies" can also induce candicing lasting longer than 4 hours.

live4running

s.crissman Thanks. I've been trying to avoid the deep tissue massage, but maybe I'm due. and maybe I need to get one once a month or so. Someone I used to run with got those and you're right, it is not a normal massage.... More like tenderizing a slab of beef. Thanks!
                    live4running

Thanks Trent and Tanya. I was going to start those tonight. Maybe I'll hold off and opt for the massage.

Go Pre!

Thanks Trent and Tanya. I was going to start those tonight. Maybe I'll hold off and opt for the massage.
                        Careful....massages have been linked to blindness.
                          Careful....massages have been linked to blindness.
                          And to "Happy Endings."

Ostrich runner

What's an E-cie?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Eternal Rookie

Dude, "E-cies" have been linked to dilligaf syndrome, a serious malady characterized by worsening calf pain, blood clots, diaphoresis and sphincteritis. You really need to be careful.
                              Dilligaf? Is this the kind of advice you dispense at the clinic? Deep tissue massage isn't that bad. If you want pain, there’s always rolfing…
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, I practice medicine in clinics. On message boards, I practice message board. Among well established message board methods is the Q&A involving a problem and a miracle solution that you can buy. It is a wonderful way to make people think that certain products actually solve real people's problems. But often, the Q&A is just a way to hock a product. A message board etiquette is to create and open a profile. Without a profile, it is impossible to discern whether a poster is simply spamming a product or using multiple user names. With a profile, it makes the entire interaction (at least seem) more open and honest. A six post exchange between two posters who nobody has heard of, who do not have a profile and who appear to be using the Q&A format to push a product lacks much face validity. Unlike Dr. Dilligaf's great work.