RC marathon training (Read 1065 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run at current  5K/ 4M  pace (7/11) 2 mile W/U.  6 x 1 mile. 3- 4 minutes rest.Start with 3 minute rest and may increase to 4 minutes. Let HR drop to 60-65% of MRH. On the track. How do you handle your mile repeats?

8 weeks to BQ.Training not going as will as planned.

Runnersworld" THE WORKOUT: Two to six mile repeats at tempo pace (about half-marathon pace, or 5-K pace plus 30 to 40 seconds) with a 60-second rest between intervals. "The short rest keeps your heart rate up, but you still get the physical and mental break of the rest period," says Coffey. Newer runners may take a two-to three-minute walk break; the goal is to run each mile at close to the same pace.

How is your training progressing or not?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Run at current  5K/ 4M  pace (7/11) 2 mile W/U.  6 x 1 mile. 3- 4 minutes rest.Start with 3 minute rest and may increase to 4 minutes. Let HR drop to 60-65% of MRH. On the track. How do you handle your mile repeats?

8 weeks to BQ.Training not going as will as planned.

Runnersworld" THE WORKOUT: Two to six mile repeats at tempo pace (about half-marathon pace, or 5-K pace plus 30 to 40 seconds) with a 60-second rest between intervals. "The short rest keeps your heart rate up, but you still get the physical and mental break of the rest period," says Coffey. Newer runners may take a two-to three-minute walk break; the goal is to run each mile at close to the same pace.

Just very quickly--if your training is not going very well, you need to stop and think a bit.  Analyze what you mean by "not going well"; do you lack something like stamina or speed; or have you been doing too much, too hard possibly?  Too hot to continue the planned program?  Stress in life?  Not eating right or staying up late, watching Harry Potter followed by Captain America?  Whatever.  Then you'll need to act accordingly.  Most likely, it's either you HAVE been training above your head and hard to keep up; or it has been hard but you'd been keeping up alright but now you're over-trained and hard to keep up.  Either way, most sensible thing for you to do is to sit back and take it easy a bit.  Maybe, instead of doing mile repeats, do some 200s to refresh your legs while not ignoring fast runs.  If you've been doing tempo runs of 8, 10, 12 miles; maybe cut it back down to 3 miles so you won't completely get away from it but make it easier to manage.

Fall marathon can be tricky because you'll have to train through summer heat.  If you don't use common sense, you'll be toasted. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Just very quickly--if your training is not going very well, you need to stop and think a bit.  Analyze what you mean by "not going well"; do you lack something like stamina or speed; or have you been doing too much, too hard possibly?  Too hot to continue the planned program?  Stress in life?  Not eating right or staying up late, watching Harry Potter followed by Captain America?  Whatever.  Then you'll need to act accordingly.  Most likely, it's either you HAVE been training above your head and hard to keep up; or it has been hard but you'd been keeping up alright but now you're over-trained and hard to keep up.  Either way, most sensible thing for you to do is to sit back and take it easy a bit.  Maybe, instead of doing mile repeats, do some 200s to refresh your legs while not ignoring fast runs.  If you've been doing tempo runs of 8, 10, 12 miles; maybe cut it back down to 3 miles so you won't completely get away from it but make it easier to manage.

Fall marathon can be tricky because you'll have to train through summer heat.  If you don't use common sense, you'll be toasted. 

Tempo runs are the problem. I did a 6 mile(2 WU/ 2 CD=10) tempo run at HM pace 5 weeks ago. No problems.Sprained my knee in Feb. Not fully healed.My back has a mind of its' own and will give up at anytime( I know I need core work). I may just need to do the tempo run on the track(12 miles). I can not keep a consistent pace on the street. On the track it is simply doing quarter mile splits.

The light just went on! Set my Garmin to .25 miles on the street.and not about the mile pace. Same difference.

Thanks for the outlet.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

kcam

The Runners World workout sounds like my bread and butter marathon workout.  6X1mile at CURRENT half marathon pace, 200m jog recovery.  Long warmup and cooldown.  I start doing these in the Fall after a lot of easy training in spring/summer.   Doing that workout at current 5K race pace would most likely deep-six me for a while. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The Runners World workout sounds like my bread and butter marathon workout.  6X1mile at CURRENT half marathon pace, 200m jog recovery.  Long warmup and cooldown.  I start doing these in the Fall after a lot of easy training in spring/summer.   Doing that workout at current 5K race pace would most likely deep-six me for a while. 

I will do the mile repeats Wednesday.

Today: 14 miles- 2 WU-10 @ MP(track) -2 CD

10 mile pace AVG  8:20***MP 8:24. Mentally I could not do another mile.I am not wiped out .Here is the workout.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/08802278b9144a50a6e5bab8d022c4f6/workouts/33e50b4643e34247b38460df7841a704

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter