2012 Gardening Thread (Read 1516 times)

Prince of Fatness

If he were at my house that trap would be the least of his concerns.  Good job.

For the record I did set the thing loose.  Plenty of wooded areas far enough away.  Shot out of there like a cannon when I opened the trap.

Ironically I can get in trouble for doing that, whereas if had just killed the thing and tossed it in the trash it is OK.

Not at it at all. 

vegefrog

When my Opa retired one of his greatest joys was being able to spend the day sitting  in a chair with a BB gun shooting squirrels that tried to get into his garden. We always thought that was SO MEAN!!! Now that I have my own garden...well it seems less cruel Wink

Luckily, like I said, my cats do a darn good job of garden patrol Smile

The creatures that give me the most trouble are moles. I HATE moles. I have declared war on them but I am losing.

I already have baby yellow quash and zucchini growing on the vines Smile

jules2

My grandfather used to say:

"Een droge maart

is goud waard,

Als 't in april

maar regenen wil"

My Grandad used to say exactly the same after 10 pints of bitter, just think all those years we thought he was drunk and he was actually speaking in a foreign language. Ann V joking aside which of your three languages or many dialects is it?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Feeling the growl again

The creatures that give me the most trouble are moles. I HATE moles. I have declared war on them but I am losing.

When you are losing a battle, sometimes you just need heavy artillery.

I will admit I smile when I watch the videos.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I think this is a little more humane.  Barely.  And more fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

I think this is a little more humane.  Barely.  And more fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

I admit to finding that amusing too, though I have to say I also find it past a line I would not cross myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I admit to finding that amusing too, though I have to say I also find it past a line I would not cross myself.

You would shoot a squirrel but not launch one?

MTA:  And I get the whole humane stuff, but I am the squirrel I take my chances with the launch.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

You would shoot a squirrel but not launch one?

MTA:  And I get the whole humane stuff, but I am the squirrel I take my chances with the launch.

The Rodenator I linked to fills mole/gopher tunnels with a volatile acetylene mix then ignites it, instantly killing said vermin via the shockwave.  Shooting them is also a pretty quick way to go, and I wouldn't do it just for fun and to post on youtube.  While I dislike squirrels, launching them into trees (where they could sustain serious injuries then limp off to suffer for days) just for fun seems kind of mean to me.

Kinda along the lines of swatting a fly vs pulling the wings off.  I don't hunt squirrels anymore because I find them gross and don't eat them anymore.

Prince of Fatness

where they could sustain serious injuries then limp off to suffer for days

Yeah, that's where I thought you were going with this.  I was just asking.  See, from my deck there is nothing to launch them into.  It's all open.  In that case I think that it would shake them up but nothing more.  They'd land on the ground.  My neighbor had a tree limbed up after some storm damage and a squirrel got spooked.  Jumped from close to 20 feet.  Then took off.  So it may be funny, but then again not worth the time.  For me I just don't want them in my bird feeders or garden.  Other than that I could give a crap what they do.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, that's where I thought you were going with this.  I was just asking.  See, from my deck there is nothing to launch them into.  It's all open.  In that case I think that it would shake them up but nothing more.  They'd land on the ground.  My neighbor had a tree limbed up after some storm damage and a squirrel got spooked.  Jumped from close to 20 feet.  Then took off.  So it may be funny, but then again not worth the time.  For me I just don't want them in my bird feeders or garden.  Other than that I could give a crap what they do.

The other one I saw utilized a clay pigeon launcher.  More spin, more speed, more distance.

Frankly I think what you did is more effective than these; I am not convinced squirrels are smart enough to be deterred by something they don't understand.  Move or terminate, IMHO.   Flinging is much more comical though.  Wink

Prince of Fatness

Frankly I think what you did is more effective than these; I am not convinced squirrels are smart enough to be deterred by something they don't understand.  Move or terminate, IMHO.   Flinging is much more comical though.  Wink

It really is the only way.  My mom lives in SC and she bought a supposedly squirrel proof bird feeder.  Um, yeah, they gnawed through the metal top.  They will do almost anything to get to the food.  Makes them real easy to trap.  Throw a few peanuts in there.  Done.

But yeah, it is useless to try to keep them away.  You need to get rid of them one way or another.

Not at it at all. 

vegefrog

It really is the only way.  My mom lives in SC and she bought a supposedly squirrel proof bird feeder.  Um, yeah, they gnawed through the metal top. 

HA! I live in SC too and that same thing happened to me! I was so pissed I might have used that flinger contraption.  Then...I found a baby squirrel that had fallen out of the nest...it's eyes weren't even open and all my friends said it was a hideous thing, but I put it in a shoe box and read online how to care for it. It was SO CUTE! I even had it on a heating pad at intervals...and woke up through the night to Q-tip it to make it urinate and poop. It lived and after about 2 weeks I took it to a squirrel rehabiliator who gave me updates and called me on its release day. I fell in love and since then I've sort of been like, well birds or squirrels at least someone is getting fed Smile

Now my mom who lives in AR and grew up eating whatever her dad could shoot, loves squirrel and will often let the grandkids practice their shooting so that she can have a squirrel to fry up or boil. EWWWWWWW!

baby

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What say the RA Gardeners (and particularly MrFinn, since he lives semi-close to me)?

I live in Zone 7a.  I normally plant mid-May.  Given this year's weather, do you think I can risk planting now?

According to the weather forecasts, which can, of course, be wrong, it's not supposed to go below 40 for the next 25 days.

It would be nice to get an early crop of tomatoes.

(actually, if there's anything stopping me from planting today, it's the fact that we're supposed to have a torrential downpour tomorrow).

Jeff

vegefrog

Swiss Chard...

What do you do with it?

I've always heard it's like the easiest thing in the world to grow...so I have thrown seeds out the past 3 years...this is the FIRST year that it has actually grown, LOL. It's rainbow lights, all pretty colors and huge. What do I do with it? Sautee it? Boil it? Grill it?