Stomach cramps and nausea after long run (Read 116 times)

LJW85

Hi just wondering if anyone has any advice for me....

I am training for the VLM, my longest run to date was yesterday at 10 miles. The issue I am having is that whilst running I feel fine however once I am home I feel dreadful, frequent trips to the bathroom, painful stomach cramps and generally feeling awful all day.

This has been going on for the last 4 weeks and happens on my longer runs but did happen last week on my 5 mile run aswell. I trialled some tail wind yesterday but it really didn’t agree with me. I had some before I started running but straight away didn’t feel right so put me off drinking anything whilst running and I just had 1 gel. Before I left for my run I had a banana.

Im not sure if there lies the problem that I’m not eating and drinking correctly whilst running or whether this could be an indication of something else. I like to run early morning. As a side note I have done half marathons before with no problems however I haven’t done one since having a baby a year ago. I’ve been working out since he was 4 weeks old with no issues.

Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

It could be eating before running.  Most days i run in the morning without eating. But once in a while i will run in the evening . My stomach will bother me even if its been 3 hours since i ate. I have never been able to eat even something small and then go running

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

type2poser

What worked for me was a coke shortly after finishing my long runs.  Coke syrup itself has anti nausea properties and the sugar HFCS helps also.  Note only Coke worked, not pepsi, not cola not diet whatever, not any other soda, cola.  Cue all the anti carbonated beverage rants.  Try it and see if it doesn't work try something else.

NorthNorthwest

First off, I think that's a smart strategy to try different food/drinks to see what works for you. I personally have a strong stomach, but I know many people shop around before finding what really works for them. Maybe try some things before/during/after shorter runs during the week, that way you can get used to it when your body is not under as much stress as a long run?

As you already alluded, this could also point toward an underlying health issue. So if it doesn't improve, it might not be a bad idea to see a doctor. My wife had similar issues several years ago when she first started marathon training, and routine tests uncovered an iron deficiency that probably wouldn't have surfaced were she not running 2+ hours. It was very easily fixed, and she's been kicking butt ever since.

Best of luck!

Andrew55

I suggest strengthening your abdominal muscles by doing crunches or sit ups 3 times a week.When you run' your internal organs shake around inside you, and this could be causing your feeling of nausea.Stronger "core" muscles should hold them in place.It may take 2 to 3 weeks before you feel a difference, but it should help.At least, I hope it does.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I suggest strengthening your abdominal muscles by doing crunches or sit ups 3 times a week.When you run' your internal organs shake around inside you, and this could be causing your feeling of nausea.Stronger "core" muscles should hold them in place.It may take 2 to 3 weeks before you feel a difference, but it should help.At least, I hope it does.

Really?  My wife has abs of steel and has had similar issues.

OP: Certainly what you eat before running plays but what are you doing directly after your long run? Perhaps review and experiment with your post run refueling? My wife likes to chug a beverage but often then has GI issues for hours.  Her stomach is not ready for anything.  Taking Imodium before her long run and races helped most times.  Not sure I recall her having such issues before we had kids either, not that means anything.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

berylrunner

Rick

Really don't think it is anything you are eating or drinking or not.

Maybe your effort is to high.  Try an easier pace or add some walking.  Still happening?  You have a different problem.

Not a doc or female but do know pregnancy and raising a newborn can wreck havoc on your systems, but worth it, right?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

mykerokk

I saw you tried some Tailwind on the last run--were you drinking any other type of product before hand?

I have found, unfortunately, that Tailwind really jacks up my guts (I think it's too much salt). I love the idea of it, but after I did any sort of training run, my stomach felt like it was in knots. If you're taking any other type of drink/supplement, that could be part of the problem?

GinnyinPA

One thing I noticed was the one gel without any water. That has concentrated sugar and really needs to be diluted by drinking water before or after. It may also be that you are dehydrated. That can upset my stomach and make me feel somewhat nauseous. TBH, for a 10 mile run you don't need a gel at all, though I can understand training with them to see what you can tolerate and what you can't.

Seattle prattle

what you are experiencing is very common. I get it too on occassion.

There's a lot written aoubt it on the internet, google runner's trots.

The big culprits are not hydrated adaquately, so be sure you have enough fluids pre-run. Avoid caffeine and spicy foods, or too much food. IF you have to eat something, make it light and easily digestible, like rice or white bread or a banana -  and the same goes for post run. Avoid excessive sugar. Relax when you run, don't tense up. Try less exertion, and this is more frequently happening to newer runners as more experienced runners systems adapt to it.

On really hard efforts, i too get this.

What works for me is to drink a little water when done - nothing sugary, and some bland food like white rice, white toast, apple sauce, or a banana (BART).

You can also avoid high fiber foods for about 8 hours before your run. On runs appoaching 10 miles, you might want to replenish with a little fluids mid-run.

For most of us, it does get better.

What worked for me was a coke shortly after finishing my long runs.  Coke syrup itself has anti nausea properties and the sugar HFCS helps also.  Note only Coke worked, not pepsi, not cola not diet whatever, not any other soda, cola.  Cue all the anti carbonated beverage rants.  Try it and see if it doesn't work try something else.

Coke syrup is the greatest tasting medicine evar.

maybe after having a baby there is more room for your organs to slosh around during runs. Anti-diahrerals pre-run help but I wouldn't go straight for the Immodium or Kayopectate as both are pretty hard core for OTC drugs. a dose of pepto bismol (a much gentlier anti-diarrheal)  pre-run should keep some of that fluid out of your GI tract.

Runzy

Coke syrup? Think I haven't tried that

T Hound

Slower but happier

I have interest in this coke syrup.  Where do i find such a thing?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

an amazing likeness

Amazon, Walgreens, CVS, etc, etc.  Often called "cola syrup".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

strambo

If you are well hydrated you shouldn't have to eat or drink anything before or during runs 10mi or less IMHO.   Some water on the long runs is nice.

Personally, I'm just gonna keep increasing miles until I bonk just to see where that point is.  My longest run is 15.5mi and 2:41 on a muddy trail, tomorrow I'll do 17mi on no bfast and just water.   At some point/distance, I'll bonk.  Then I'll know what that is for my body and pace and know nutrition matters for runs that length and longer.

I'm new to the endurance running scene, but my casual observation is runners seem to eat way too much.  I get nutrition matters at marathon distances and beyond (you are out-running your glycogen stores)...but I saw people guzzling Gatorade, Coke, gels etc. during, then pigging out on carbs after the 25k trail run...?