New member and I need help please! (Read 219 times)

Gnfanatic

hey guys! I would truly appreciate your help on my issue! I have been running for about a year now and was doing well. I just started the Police academy and have the day tour shift. The problem is I wake up at 3:30 Am which I am no where near used to getting up this early. I go to sleep at 8PM every night so I get my sleep. When I wake up I eat the following (4am)

1 cup Plain Greek yogurt with chia seeds

2 boiled eggs

1 banana

glass of organic carrot juice

Now my problem. When I get to the academy at 6:45Am I am TIRED. Not exhausted but I am not in shape to do the 2 hours of cardio. This is effecting my running in gym big time. Right now we are running 2 miles and I cannot keep up with my team, I breath heavy and just feel tired. What am I missing in my bfast?? What else can I add to it?? Should I eat an energy bar at like 6am???

Please help! and Thanks!!!

Christirei

what about some more carbs to keep you full longer? you are still waiting about three hours from eating until workout time. Can you substitute the greek yogurt for a bowl of oatmeal with berries and nuts? Can you bring along a granola bar or something to eat thirty minutes before your workout?

Gnfanatic

Thank you for the response. I was thinking it was to long of a time gap between bfast and gym. I will do anything it take. Whats the proper way to cook oatmeal? water or milk?? I love blueberries. Another thing. there are 1000 bars on the market. Which will help me?? I was thinking power bar triple threat energy. 31 grams of carbs.

thanks!!!

Another possibility is that you are not getting enough sleep.  Try getting an extra hour (or more) of sleep every night for at least a week, and see if you feel better.

Gnfanatic

JR, thanks for the response. As of now I am getting 8 hours of sleep. I cannot go to sleep earlier then 8PM. I need to study and do other things. I only have 2.5 hours left in the day when I get home for the academy. I really think it has to do with my bfast and time of it.  BTW, what nuts do i put in the oatmeal?? Which ones are the most nutritious??

A Saucy Wench

I dont think fuel is the ultimate solution.   It takes awhile to adapt to getting up early, it takes awhile to adapt to 2 hours of cardio. If you arent in shape for 2 hours of cardio, no amount of breakfast will fix that.  Hopefully you will adapt quickly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Gnfanatic

Ennay, its been 5 weeks. I have days I feel pretty damn good and some days forget it. there has not been a day where I pulled out of the class like many of the people due to not being able to do it. I am just worried about the runs on bad days.

A Saucy Wench

I assume you have a long drive or something and that is why you eat breakfast so early?  I personally would NOT switch out the yogurt for oatmeal if you have to eat that early.  Carbs dont hang around that long and oatmeal causes me to spike and crash worse than just about any other carb source.  If you are accustomed to a relatively high protein breakfast, switching to a high carb breakfast that far in front of the workout might make it worse.    If you want to try beefing it up with carbs, I would keep the breakfast the same and add easy to digest carbs closer to the workout time.  You'll have to play around with what your stomach can tolerate.  I would start light.

Other than that I would say that with that kind of schedule, bad days are to be expected.  I suspect that is kind of the point.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Gnfanatic

Yep. 1.5 hours of travel time. So what can i eat on the train at 6am ??? What do you suggest?? I prefer bars because they are easy but not sure which to get.

A Saucy Wench

Well, you seem to be a whole foods kind of person, larabars are a little more real.   Or fruit.  Or half a pbj sandwich,

Gnfanatic

Thanks Ennay. I love fruit. I can always set something up for the train ride. I rather go the natural route as well. Which fruit would have the kind of carbs I need??

Which fruit would have the kind of carbs I need??

Raisins

Bananas

Pears

Pineapples

I wish I remembered how to do that 'link to google trick' that Trent started years back.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Gnfanatic

Thanks Ricky, I love all that stuff. I am going to go shopping today and make a fruit salad so i can put it in a Tupperware or a little bag. The potassium in bananas have completely stopped my leg cramps. I would not have survived this far without them.

Chasing the bus

I lean the other way on the food chain...I'd rather eat protein/fat for staying power. Peanut butter, or other nut butter, eggs, whole milk yogurt, avocado, these work better for me.

I also agree on getting acclimated to the training/work load. It just takes time.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Gnfanatic

I have 2 boiled eggs in the morning (forgot to mention that). Plus at night I make my own chicken salad. At lunch time I heat whole wheat bread sandwich that has real turkey and a slice of cheese with an apple to top it off. I get my protein in to feed my muscles.