Preparing for a half marathon (Read 1384 times)

stephonya

So, I have a goal of completing a half marathon in May. I've never run a race before and don't really know where to begin. I do already have a good pair of running shoes. I'm already a basically fit and active person. I do Pilates three times a week and am currently running 3-4 days a week (rest days in between each session). I can be a bit of a wuss though when it comes to really pushing myself. I can't run for more than a half hour right now without taking a walk break. Will I be able to increase my fitness quickly enough to complete a fun half marathon by May? The thought of running two straight hours scares me a little. I don't have a way of measuring distance- I just go by my watch. I don't know how many kms I'm running! I could hit the treadmill but it's way too boring for me. Are there any special dietary changes I should be making? I'm vegan and already eat very well (and I am careful to consume protein every day). Any thoughts? About how quickly should my fitness be progressing?
      Hi Stephonya, I've only been running for 1 year now. Just started last October. I'm running my first half on Oct 26th. You can check out my log and see what sort of training I've been doing. Before I even considered a half marathon, I had a pretty decent base. I think you have plenty of time to do a training program starting now. I just got my program from the Runners World web site. I think it's good because it starts you out slow and it's good for a noob like me. The thought of running 2 hours scared me a bit too. But one day, it just happens. Once you get over that hump, it's not a big deal anymore. Just prepare for it and you'll be fine. The map feature here is a great way of measuring your distance. I always plan my route the night before. I also have a Garmin, but rely on the map feature here most. It's not so great when I go off the road onto trails though. I can't give you dietary advice. I'm a meat eater!! I'm actually a strong believer in eating meat and dairy. So you will only get "your crazy" from me. Big grin Anyway, check out my log. Go back to when I was running the same distance you are running in a week and see how I progressed and what I did. I've done it slow and steady. Good luck!!

Queen of 3rd Place

I was in your shoes when I got started, I was reasonably fit and went fairly comfortably from being able to run 30 min to the HM in about 4 or 5 months, so you should have no problem. The one MAJOR thing I learned along the way (and you'll hear a lot about this around here) was to slow down A LOT, so slow that I could EASILY carry on a conversation, almost as though I was barely even running. With time, you'll speed up a little more, just don't worry about how slow you're going now...if you have to walk after 30 min, I suspect you're going too fast. I know, it's a drag - but trust me. If you want to figure out mileage, you can map your runs at this website or at others such as mapmyrun.com. There are a ton of online programs, they will increase mileage a little each week. Here's one that's ok - I used this but stretched it out over a longer time period and added some speedwork (which was dumb): http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm One "rule of thumb" is to increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week. This may or may not work for you, you'll just have to pay attention to your body as you go, it's ok to back off a little now and then. Avoid the temptation to ramp things up too quickly, give your musculoskeletal system time to build up in response to the increasing stresses. Again, trust me, too much too soon = injury, I'm not the only one here who learned that the hard way. Sounds like you're eating just fine. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants". (Now, where did I hear that? Wink ) Good luck and have fun! Arla

Ex runner

nextyearcubs

I completed my first half last month. I'd been running for a year, when I first started I could go maybe ten minutes before I had to walk. One thing that helped me get to the point where I didn't need to stop was using a heart rate monitor. Instead of taking regular walk breaks at set intervals, I'd only walk when my heart rate reached the top of the zone, and I ran again when it hit the bottom. This kept my walk breaks to the minimum necessary and kept me warmed up at the same time. In a short time, maybe 2 months, I was able to get my heart rate down by slowing down the pace. I kind of modified the Higdon marathon program, a couple of times on the long runs I didn't feel I ran it well enough, so I repeated the week, but I had more time to play with. Do your longest run from 10-12 miles and do a two week taper and you should be good to go. When I did the half it was a lot of fun, I got out of the blocks slow, partially due to the crowd, but I was also a bit too conservative with my pace. By mile 8 I was able to pick up the pace and finished pretty strong, and it was a great feeling to run my fastest in the end. Even though I probably could have had a better time if I ran faster earlier, it was my first race at this distance and I was more concerned with finishing, and finishing well.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Last year about this time, I was in similar shoes as you. I had not run much in a while and was not in very good physical shape, especially compared to now. What I did is essentially what you are doing right now. I had a half marathon training plan that started in January for a half in early May. I built up my mileage so that I could run 30 minutes without stopping, and did so by January so I could start my plan with a decent base. Each week, the long run brought on more challenges because each weekly long run was longer than I had ever run before. The "big ones" were 5 and 10 miles, because I had never run that far before and was very nervous about making it the full distance. My advice to you is to find a training plan, and stick as close as you can to it. For me, a training plan is the proven system that can get you to the necessary mileage to accomplish yourmain goal, the race. If you are vigilant about getting out and getting time on your feet, and completing the required mileage, you should be fine. As others have said before, and will likely say again, keep it slow. You do not win the race by killing yourself during your training. If you are vigilant about your training, and listen to your body, you can do a half-marathon. I am proof of that. It will seem daunting because 13.1 miles seems like a long way. In the end, if you stick to your plan and put in the required time on your feet running, you should complete the race and feel really good about yourself for doing so. Also, realize going in that life will get in the way or your running at times. If you have a family and friends, things will come up that will take priority over running. Although you should try to stick to the plan, do not let it rule your life. Keep it slow and steady, put the time in running, complete your long runs, and enjoy the experience.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi Stephonya. Which one are you running? I am signed up for the Indy Mini Marathon which will run in early May. This will be my first HM, too. I have been running about 2 1/2 months now. My plan is to get a good base up and time on my feet, with about 25 to 30 miles per week. So far, so good. I found a training program I like at Running Times online and will start that in February. I am asking for a Garmin for Christmas. Exciting stuff to be training for an actual race. I wish you well. Kate
                That definitely is achievable, especially if you already have a decent level of general fitness. Running (or any exercise) is different, so you'll still have to start off slow and build carefully as your body acclimates to the different stresses. To start, don't think about the half-marathon goal... that'll just get you thinking that you have too far to go and you'll push too hard. Just focus on building a regular schedule and slowly adding to your weekly mileage. 3-4 months before the race you'll be comfortable with running and can start running specifically for it. That is the time to look at where you are and compare that to where you'll need to be. You may want to look around for some training plans to help you plan your program as the race gets closer.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

theyapper

On the road again...

You may want to look around for some training plans to help you plan your program as the race gets closer.
                  The plan I'm following to prepare for my first half marathon: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm Depending on your level of running, you may want to follow the novice plan instead: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

stephonya

Thank you so much for your replies! Great advice from all of you. I'd posted little things around my room to motivate me, but I just took the down because I realized that they actually scared me off from running moreso than motivate me. They just made me think of how far 21 kms is, so I'm going to avoid thinking about that for now and just go and run. PoeDogRuns- it's a run sponsored by RBC, in Vancouver. I've heard that there's a rule of thumb about food with running... that you're supposed to consume protein within two hours after running, or something like that. Could any of you elaborate, if you know any more about this? I'm a healthy eater but I haven't changed my eating at all since I started running- I just eat when I'm hungry. I ate a bagel just 20 minutes before my run today and it didn't upset my stomach, but my roommate said that I shouldn't have left it so close. What sorts of rules of thumbs are there? I know that in the few days before race day I shouldn't try anything new that could upset my stomach.
                      Steph, I am no expert, and have only been running 2 years, so treat my advice accordingly..... It is easy to get too analytical/detail-oriented/absorbed or whatever- just find a basic plan, take a clinic at the Running Room, don't worry too much if you don't do things by the book. If you skip a few days its not a big deal. What I would suggest is that you become confident in your abilities by race day, and you do that by completing several runs of at least 21kms, preferably more. That way you know darn well it is not a question of if you can do it, its a question of how fast. Simply gives you confidence and experience. Again, this is just my opinion, I've been wrong before... Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Along for the Ride

... what they said. I would also suggest racing a shorter race before. Maybe a 5k or 10k? This will help you be comfortable with how race day goes. Including dressing, nutrition, where to pin your bib etc. Good luck!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

You definately want to run a few other races before your 1/2. Until you run in a few races (even if you run at the very back of the pack) you won't really understand what its like to run in a race, and I personally (maybe its just me) dont think its a good idea to start off with a tough race like 1/2 M. But I'll guarantee it feels a lot different when you run a race (and especially at first). 5K and 5 Miles are great races and will do wonders for your motivation and confidence. As stated above, GO SLOW .....and dont even think about speed or running fast until you get your weekly mileage up to somewhere around 25/30 or so......just do the miles..... Unless your comfortable coming up with your own training plan, I would recommend a variety of the professionally created plans (Hal Higdon - mentioned above and there are others). The thing I dont like about Hal Higdon's plan is that he normally calls for 3 or 4 days of running and some cross training...Personally, I like running and dont like the bike and hate the eliptical..so I took Hal Higdon's Marathon plan -- added a day and modified it for me and am getting on pretty well....... So I recommed you find a plan that looks good and modify it to fit you...and you'll be good.... You can definately be ready for a 13.1 in May.......Good luck.... Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching